Chapter 5 - Heartless

I Remember You

"But Hyung...Didn't you have a girlfriend a few years back?" Sandeul pointed out.

"I did but she broke up with me after two weeks saying I was a heartless bastard and a horrible boyfriend" I laughed bitterly. "Which was a given since Jin Kyung took my heart with her when she left four years ago.”

Whatever I did with my ex, all I could think of was Jin Kyung. When we went out on dates, I would always remember how I had promised to bring her out. And when we kissed, I would remember our first kiss together.

"She left?!" Baro asked "How, Why did she leave?"

"I wish I knew...She asked my mom to pass a note to me and when I opened it, it only said 'I'm sorry'. I felt there was something wrong when I saw it." I answered, bringing my head to my hands as that night came back to me with vivid clarity.  "She had never been a letter kind of person. Running to her house I saw that the house was boarded up. Just like that she left. I thought that I meant more to her than that" I winced into my hands, trying to keep my breathing even.

"When I got back I locked myself in my room and for the first time. I shed tears because of a girl. Over the next few days, I couldn't eat or sleep. I didn't want to believe that she left me just like that. I thought we had something. My heart nearly exploded when we kissed each other after our elementary school graduation. I was her first kiss and she was mine." Remembering all these made my eyes blur, regardless of country or culture. First kisses are important and we remember it for the rest of our lives.

"In the beginning of middle school, I was officially diagnosed with depression." I heard Channie and Sandeul gasp while Baro's eyes went wide with surprise. Even though Baro was in the same year as me, we never managed to share the same class whilst Shin Woo...well we're in the same class all the way till now so it's not a big surprise to him...

"The doctor recommended taking up another hobby or writing in a diary. So I took writing since it felt more doable than sports or other forms of art. All I needed was a book and pen." I said as I took out my notebook from my bag and flipped through it. Showing them the scribbles and writing.

"I started off with simple writing and putting down how I felt.  Soon, I realised it I was writing poems and one day I experimented and tried fitting music notes to the words, once I was satisfied. I tried singing to it and singing what I wrote became theraputic to me. Before I knew it singing became my dream and goal in life." I said, looking at my fingers that were long and skinny because of the many years of playing the piano.

"Jin Kyung and I dreamt of being a duet concert pianist. Being with each other forever with the instrument that brought us together..." I sighed at the dead dream. "Now that she's gone...I guess that dream died in me."

"Hyung, what if she comes back? What about your dreams about being a singer?" Channie asked looking worried.

"Dead dreams remain dead Channie" I answered, reassuring that I'm not going to abandon our team. "Beside, I'm over it..."

"How are you over it hyung, you still love her..." Baro said. "I guess I should say I'm over that pain..." I answered, running a hand through my hair.

"Thanks for telling us hyung" Sandeul said giving a small smile. "It feels as if we're closer now"

"Definitely hyung" Channie  smiled as well.

"So hyung, what are you going to do about the new girl?" Baro asked.

"I wish I knew Baro..." I sighed.

"How about introducing her to the music club?" Shin Woo recommended. "It would be a great opportunity to create songs and music right?"

"Yeah Hyung!! You should go and ask her!!" Sandeul clapped excitedly.

"I guess..." giving a sight nod, thinking more about it....I wondered how to do that since Jin Kyung is always swarmed by people...