Chapter 13 - Like watching a drama

I Remember You

“Thanks for sending me back Jin Young’ah” Jin Kyung gave a slight bow as we reached her apartment.

“Thank you for helping me with my rapping” I said embarrassedly, rubbing the back of my neck. I didn’t like the fact that she saw a side of me that isn’t good at something.

“We still have a long way to go though” Jin Kyung laughed as she tapped her apartment card.

“Yes, I will beef up on it” I gave a slight bow back. Giving the exact same angle she did it.

“Yah, don’t make fun of me showing respect” she pouted.

Laughing “Ne, I won’t” I replied. “See you in school tomorrow” I waved as I started walking off. My home being at least an hour away from here and no, it’s not inclusive of me getting lost.

Getting home to my Omma teasing me about sending a girl home, I did my usual routine and coming out of the shower. I checked my phone to see if Jin Kyung sent me the password.

My heart nearly stopped when I saw it.

< Irememberyou>

*Breathe. It’s just the lyrics to our song* I rationalised. She doesn’t even know that I think she resembles my childhood friend. There’s no way she would answer something like this randomly. Proving my rationale right, I put the disc in and typed the password into the proxy in the exact way it was sent to me. It pinged green back saying ‘Password Valid’

*Should I tell Omma about Saturday and who might be there?* I sat down and took my guitar. Strumming a few chords *Omma cried when she found out that the Soo’s left* I recalled the first few days after they left. Omma looked so dejected without her close friend. Suddenly losing someone to talk to, make plans with and share recipes. A good share of what she cooks nowadays were the recipes that they shared years back.

The next day at dinner, I decided to tell Omma. I didn’t feel comfortable with not telling her something this big. This didn’t only concern me; Omma’s best friend might be back as well. She deserved to know what I know…

“Omma, put down the plate…I have something important to tell you.” I said as we settled down for dinner like any other day.

“Mwoh? What is it Jin Young?” My mom smiled “Is it about you and a girl? Ommo, do you have a girlfrie –”

“Aniyo Omma, it’s about the Soo’s.” I interrupted her. “They might be back on Saturday…” she totally read my serious expression for something else! Aish, my Omma….

“Omma?” I got up to wave my hand in front of her. Taking the plate of food from her hands, it was starting to slide dangerously off her hands… “You okay?” I placed the food on the table.

Guiding her to take a seat, I saw that her hands were shaking. “Is it true? Jin Young-ah?” her voice quiet.

“There were cleaning services today. They said that the person who hired them will be around on Saturday, I’m not sure if it’s them but it’s worth a shot. Even it’s not them; we can ask the person who hired them about the Soo’s…their contact number, their whereabouts. Something…” I trailed off.

Nodding Omma smiled weakly “You’re right, it’s worth a shot. Something is better than nothing at this stage.”

                *******************

“Omma, what’s that?” I asked eyeing the Tupperware that she held in her hands.

It was Saturday.

The day for reckoning…We’ll find out today if it’s the Soo’s that came back or not…For my sake and Omma’s sake. I really hope that it is them.

“A welcome gift for whoever is there” she said, holding it gingerly. “It’s better to have a gift prepared rather than appear empty handed.”

“Arrasseo” I said as we walked up to the front door. I was watching the cleaning services and we waited until just before the last few people left to let ourselves in through the open gate.

We didn’t want to look any more suspicious than we already did. Knocking on the door I realised it wasn’t closed and the door opened further, revealing the familiar living room and staircase leading to the second floor. Nothing had changed since the last time we came here. The photographs that we took together were still hanging on walls as if time stopped in this place.

“Anneyonghaseyo, is anyone home?” I called out. Hearing a something drop in the kitchen followed by the sounds of shuffling slippers, a familiar lady came out of the kitchen.

“Ommonah!” The lady stood there in shock, clearly not expecting us. “Mrs. Jung?” she breathed unsure of the person before her eyes.

“Mrs. Soo” Omma replied in the same manner, in disbelief that her best friend is in front of her. Putting down the Tupperware on a nearby table Omma walked towards Mrs Soo, reaching for her hand.

Holding her hand, both of them came to realisation that it is real and they are really in front of each other after four years. Watching them felt like watching a TV drama as they hugged each other, both of them in tears saying how much they missed each other and Mrs Soo apologising for leaving so abruptly.

“Omma, what’s going on?” I heard another familiar voice from the stairway. Looking at the source of the voice my eyes landed on an equally familiar person.

“What’s all the noise abou–” She said in midway her eyes landing on me.

“!” She swore. Instantly turning around and ran back up the stairs.