Chapter 4 - How we met

I Remember You

"We met nine years ago at a piano competition." I started off saying, memories slowly filling my mind with a stunning clarity as if it happened only yesterday.

                *Flashback*

*This is boring* I moped about. I had finished my piece awhile back and I was waiting for everyone else to finish playing so that they could get to the award ceremony.

Feeling cold and frozen, I decided to head out to warm myself up. Until I heard a warm and sweet melody.

Most of the contestants we mediocre, no where near the standard where I was at. But whoever is playing right now...She had skill.

It wasn't an easy piece, my mind registered for me. As I heard the many cascades and overlapping notes. Turning around I saw a girl my age playing the song. *She makes it sound easy* I smiled.

When her song ended, I felt a coldness wash over me. "She's amazing" I whispered to myself. Her song brought warmth and got me forgetting about the cold.

Later at the award ceremony. For the first time that I competed, I lost. To that girl.

Strangely enough, I wasn't sad. I was glad that she won, she deserved it.

I wanted to congratulate her but I was hesitant. Most of the noonas that I came across that won in the older categories in the past were mean and arrogant about their wins.

However, I saw that she sat by herself with her head down as everyone mingled and chatted.

Going up to her "Umm...." I said, not sure how to talk to her.

Startled, she looked up at me with glistening eyes. "Congratulations on winning" I said, giving her a smile.

"Ah" She said, looking like she just understood the situation. Giving me a warm smile "Thank you as well"

"I'm Jung Jin Young" I introduced myself more shy than I preferred, holding my hand out. It was my first time initiating a conversation with someone I didn't know.

"I'm Soo Jin Kyung" She replied shyly, slowly reaching for my hand. Looking hesitant about shaking my hand.

"I names are similar" I answered shyly.

"Ne, they are..." She replied softly, hugging the bouquet that looked too big for her to hold.

"Do you want one?" She asked. Noticing my stare at her flowers.

I wasn't staring at her flowers because I wanted one...I was staring at them because I was too shy to look at her directly.

Nodding, she gently pulled out a pink daisy from the bouquet and gave it to me.

Shaking my head "Kwenchana" I smiled as I took it. Glad that I have something of hers and something to remember her by.

"Jin Kyung!" Jin Young" I heard a familiar voice along with an unfamiliar one.

"Omma" we both answered at the same time, looking towards the same direction where we heard them.

"Jin Young! Where have you been?! I was so worried -"

"Jin Kyung! Where were you?! I've been searching for you-" both our mothers said worriedly but stopped in mid sentences when they realised they weren't alone.

"Jin Kyung, is this your friend?" her mom asked. Her eyes looking back and forth between  the bouquet in her daughter's hand and the flower in my hand

"Ne" she answered softly, nodding a little she hugged her bouquet a little tighter as her cheeks flushed the same pink as the daisies.

I was secretly happy that she considered me her friend even though we just met.

"Did you just meet?" My mom asked. "Ne" I nodded, taking a small peek at her "I wanted to congratulate Jin Kyung on winning"

"Really? My Jin Young lost?" My mom answered looking very surprised. Considering that I won all the competitions that I took part in. "I see that you have a real special girl there Mrs...?"

"Mrs Soo" Jin Kyung's mom answered.

As our moms talked, I looked to Jin Kyung. I wanted to talk to her but I didn't know how...

"So..."

"Umm..." We both said at the same time. Eventually saying "Sorry, you go first" together as well.

After a few seconds of silence, we laughed at our own awkwardness.

We talked for a little more until we heard a click go off. Turning, we saw our moms and their cameras out taking snapshots of us.

We both blushed as we felt embarrassed of our moms. Looking at each other, we sat in comfortable silence and smiled.

Hearing my mom's phone beep, a signal that we had to head home. My smile fell at the thought that I might not see her again...

Hearing my mom tell her mom that we had to go, Jin Kyung's smile fell too. And as if we read each other's mind, we both reached out to hold each other's hand.

We had just met but it didn't feel like it. Seeing both of us, our moms went "“Aigoo, look at them. They can’t bear to leave each other now”

“Mrs Soo” my mom asked “If I may be so bold to ask, can we meet up again? I’d like our children and us to be friends”

Smiling widely “Of course, Mrs Jung” Jin Kyung's mom answered, holding out her phone “May I have your number?”

Keying their numbers in, they turned to us and said “Jin young, Jin Kyung, don’t worry. You’ll see each other soon” both our moms assured.

                *End of flashback*

"Soon enough, we were inseparable. I was either at her place or she would be at mine." I said, looking out the window. "I knew everything about her, how she liked sweets, rainy days and her strange liking for lightning. And likewise she knew everything about me as well. "

Seeing how sad I was, Channie asked. "Hyung...was she your first love?"

Nodding, I answered "She still is..."