Chapter 22 - I guess we're stuck together...

I Remember You

Grabbing her pillow and putting it in front of her face “Ahhhh!” she went screaming into it as she kicked her feet in frustration. Which was a bad idea for me to watch since her shirt was riding up her thighs for me to see that she was wearing incredibly short shorts under the shirt…

Turning away “What are we going to do?”

“I don’t know” She answered. “The only usable blankets and pillows are the ones in Omma’s room and my room. Everything else is with the cleaning service…the ones I’m using now are new ones I bought this morning with Omma…” she trailed off. “I can’t possibly let you sleep on the floor without a blanket or pillow…”

“Our Ommas are really pushing us together if you think about it” I laughed as I sat cross legged on the bed.

“I believe so too” she sighed. Moving to sit next to her on the bed “I know I’m skinny for my height but Jin Kyung…move in a little” I joked trying to make the situation light even though half of my is hanging off the bed.

“Ah, mianhe” she said scooting further in. Bringing the blanket up, I really couldn’t stand seeing Jin Kyung’s slender legs. *Wow….they look really smooth and fair…looking almost milky white….Aish!!! I need to stop looking at her legs!* I chided myself.

“What are you reading?” I asked, putting an arm around her and resting my chin against her shoulder.

“Just another teen fiction story” she smiled.

“Yah Jin Kyung, we’re almost 18 this year and you’re reading teen fiction stories? You do know you’re going to become a young adult soon right?” I teased…

“Don’t remind me” she lightly hit my hand. “Also most of the romance book that I’ve flipped through seemed too adult for me to read” Jin Kyung blushed.

“Aish you are too cute Jin Kyung” I smiled, lightly pinching her cheeks. “Ommo!” She squirmed as her face slowly turned red.

“Since when did you start wearing glasses though?” I asked. “Hmm…about one or two years ago? I was using my laptop a lot as I tried composing and using different beats. I didn’t take good enough care of my eyes I guess.” She shrugged putting her book away.

Getting comfier in the bed, I laid sideways on the bed hugging her as she lay there with her back to the bed. *I have to admit, this feels quite nice…being able to just hug her like this*

“Jin Kyung…How did you spend your 4 years overseas?” I wondered.

“Usually most wrist fracture took 4-12 weeks to heal” Jin Kyung explained. “But because of the way my wrist was damaged, nerves were affected and it complicated the recovery. It took me 2 years to gain back fluid movements in my hands” she continued, clenching and unclenching her hand.

“When I first recovered, I could barely form a fist” she laughed bitterly. “I was devastated that I could no longer be a concert pianist…But a friend there, well let’s say she kicked my and pushed me to stop moping. She made me consider what other ways that I could try out and still do music that I love. When I got better, I even tried looking for other instruments to replace what I felt for the piano…but still nothing ever felt the same like I did with it.

One day, I thought that if I couldn’t perform on the front lines…maybe I could create the music behind the scenes. The thought of it thrilled me” Jin Kyung finally smiled for real.

“I wrote and refined constantly. My passion and drive revived me once I found out what I wanted to do. Since I was composing, I didn’t need the intense and continuous hours that practicing for a recital required.

I could play the selected parts and use software to repeat it for me and I could piece things together using the software. The only time that I needed to use the piano or other instruments is during fine tuning. Hearing it live is different from on the computer, so at most I needed to play the song a few times on my own. I could take a break whenever I wanted to….” She trailed off.

“I didn’t really have to spend four years there…I could have come back after those two years but…I was halfway through the school there, I didn’t want to just change it and drop everything that I worked so hard on. Not to mention I didn’t want to leave my friend that was there…not at her crucial moment.” She explained. It sounded so much like her, it’s as if she didn’t change even after all these years. The people that we knew here changed so much; I doubt that Jin Kyung can recognise them.

“How did you spend your 4 years Jin Young?” she asks with those innocent eyes of hers.

Sighing, giving her a tight hug threatening to squish her saying “Not so good” I joked, trying to make light of what happened. “Your perception of me might change if I tell you everything…You might even get mad at me…Are you sure you want to hear this?” I asked, loosening my hug so that I could see her response.

“Ne…I want to know what you went through after I left…how deeply I had hurt you with my departure…” she answered quietly, guilt glazing her eyes.

Taking a deep breath, “I cried when I found out you left. For days I cried…I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t sleep….I wondered why you left me the way you did…and eventually my tears ran out. I couldn’t cry even though I wanted to. I felt so left behind and broken hearted….I thought I had meant more to you than that.

I eventually sunk lower and lower. I couldn’t play the piano anymore because it reminded me too much of you and our broken dream of being duet pianists. Landing into depression while going through seventh grade, Omma took me to the psychiatrist after seeing how serious it got.

The doctor recommended that I took up something else to pass time and I chose writing. It seemed the easiest to do compared to sports or playing another instrument…I got better over time, I got out of depression. But one thing couldn’t get better no matter how hard I tried…” I closed my eyes remembering the bitter moments.