Don't Look at Me like that

Secret Love Song

After a few days Yuju was able to attend their class again. If Sinb can't focus when Yuju isn't around, it gets worse when she is. She always notice every single movement of her from her peripheral view and it distracts her a lot.

 

She's taking down some notes but her hands keeps trembling like it has it's own movements until she dropped her pen on the floor.

 

"Aishhh...It seems like my body won't listen to me"

 

She stares at the pen before she bend down to pick it up. But when she lift her head up, She met Yuju's eyes once again. Her stare was fiercely soft and her sparkling eyes were irresistibly charming, Sinb felt that her heartbeat sounds too loud in her ears and she suddely felt warmth on her chest. She can't stand seeing that eyes anymore and she went out of the Classroom making an excuse to use the restroom.

 

Sinb: "Hwang Eunbi, seriously? what's going on...What's wrong with this thing?"

 

She's asking herself in front of the mirror while trying to calm her fluttering heart. When she went back to the room, Yuju isn't there anymore and she find it weird. She never leave the classroom during breaktime even once.

 

Sinb: "Eunha, where's my seatmate?"

 

She asks Eunha who's just passing by in front of her. But it seems like she's not in a good mood.

 

Eunha: "You mean Yuna? Your ill-mannered friend drag her out again"

 

Thinking about it, Yerin is the only friend she has who knows Yuju

 

Sinb: "Ahh...that must be Yerin-unniee.."

 

Eunha: "Ah, so that was her name? Can you please tell this to that ill-mannered kid, that if she ever try to enter this room again and I saw her, I will surely break her bones!"

 

Sinb was shooked by her words, she know Eunha as a kind and understanding person but she suddenly act like that.

 

Sinb: "Hey watch your words, you don't know her. Where are those words coming from?

 

Earlier Eunha saw Yerin trying to broke into their classroom again and she tried to restrain her but she slightly pushed her away and she didn't mind at all even after dragging Yuju out of the room. 

 

Yerin and Yuju takes a bus but Yuju have no idea where are they going. When the bus stopped, Yerin held Yuju's hands until they reach the place where she used to hide when they were younger. Under the shade of a tree in front of the riverbank.

 

Yerin: "You remember this place?"

 

That place where she always shed her tears and where Yerin always found her to comfort her.

 

"Ofcourse I remember or should I say I will never forgot." She decided to keep that answer to herself.

 

Yerin: "If you want to go somewhere, If you're in trouble or in fear, or there's just anything you're afraid to do alone... I'm still here, I'm your friend and I will always be.

 

Yuju: "I... don't need a friend or anyone"

 

Yerin was serious but Yuju is trying to avoid looking at her

 

Yerin: "I doubt it, when you left without any words. Do you know how much worried I am? Until now, I can see it. You're still hiding your pain alone...

 

Yuju: "You're wrong, I told you there's a lot of things that already changed...I can do better myself alone"

 

She always wanted to avoid Yerin, she can't be a good friend for her or a friend you can lean on. She's just a person who always wanted to run away. And she felt like she's only a burden for Yerin.

 

Yerin: "You say it like that but then why did your eyes tells a different story? Why does it seems to be more like I'm afraid, don't leave me. hold my hands so I won't be alone, and I need someone to lean on"

 

Yuju's tears started to form in her eyes but she was able to control it. She tries to escape by running away but Yerin hold onto her.

 

Yuju: "Yerin-ah...why are you like this?

 

Yerin: "Because you're like that"

 

Yuju: "Why are you so nice to me? You don't deserve a friend like me..."

 

Yerin smiles, actually Yuju isn't really that cold, she just didn't want to show her weakness which is her kind heart. 

 

Yerin: "Right, that's you...if you wanted to cry, just cry like before. Such a crybaby"

 

Yuju: "I don't want to, don't call me like that Jung Yerin!"

 

She smiles again because of Yuju's request.

 

Yerin: "Then just tell me, what happened? Why did you suddenly leave? I'll listen well."

 

After all, Yerin is still a friend she wanted to trust. She told Yerin her reasons for leaving without goodbyes. Her father's death that freed her from physical abuse but also leaves her a trauma and her gradparents forcefully sent her to study abroad that isn't either good memories to be treasured until she came back to Korea just this year and she transferred to that school.

 

Sinb: "Is she always like this...leaving her things anywhere...tskk

 

Since Yerin drag her out, Yuju left her things on the classroom. Her notes on her table. Sinb can't just leave it like that so she try to fix it and put it back on her bag.

 

She decided to bring Yuju's bag with her and she waited beside the lamp post where they stayed that night. She believed that Yuju's home was near, but it is already 7 PM and there's still no signs of her.

 

Sinb: "Is this a wrong place? Maybe she took the other way. Uhhh, my tummy...

 

She felt hunger after waiting there for almost two hours. She asks her driver to take her to the Rooftop Resto since she has no plan to go back home earlier. She hates being with her Dad and unfortunately that week, her Dad used to be at home.

 

Sinb: "Hey unnie, I'm here at the Rooftop Resto. But I'm alone, can you join me here?

 

Yerin: "I'm sorry but I have something to do, call Umji maybe she's free.

 

But unfortunately, Umji is busy with her own life too. Now she's alone on a table for four people, there's nothing special on that day but she felt that place is just perfect for resting and side seeing and it makes her kept coming back there.

 

Or maybe that song that can make someone's feelings more peaceful and calm, but she didn't understand why does she felt different that day. Instead of being calm, when she heard that song again her heart started to beat faster than usual.

 

It's not too late for the night to end when she reach the basement parking where the car and her driver is waiting for her. She open the cardoor and is about to enter the car when "ding" sound from the elevator caught her attention.

 

Unexpectedly she saw the person she has been waiting all day long and she's still wearing her school uniform. A man in his 40's approach her as soon as she gets off the elevator. Sinb is just looking from afar when she notice the man signals Yuju like he wanted to talk to her privately.

 

She felt like there's something weird about it and she follows them and hides on a black van near the two. She can clearly hear them and she tries to record the conversation on her phone.

 

"The way you perform today is so good, those business man told me they liked it and will comeback next week, so prepare yourself"

 

"Ahh, really? what should I do?

 

"Just do what you normally do, I promise not to give them any information about you."

 

"Thank you Mr. Han"

 

"It's Okay, you should take a rest, tomorrow will be a whole night long..as well as next week. And here take this."

 

He handed Yuju a money placed on a white envelope.

 

"No need Mr. Han"

 

She rejects to take it but he insist.

 

"Eyy..you deserve this, take it now. This is for the tip"

 

He put the white envelope on her hands

 

"Oh....Okay then,, thank you Mr. Han"

 

"Okay, see you tomorrow take care of yourself"

 

The two bow to each other and the man gets into his car, and Yuju makes her way out of the building. Sinb gets into the car and was thinking deeply, she comes up into a conclusion that there's something wrong about what Yuju is doing for those people.

 

Sinb: "Is it a dirty money? And what's with the performance?"

 

She's asked her driver to follow Yuju, she's still near and they can clearly see her. The driver attentively follow her instructions, and she open the window to call the attention of the girl walking alone on the sidewalk.

 

Sinb: "Hey Choi Yuna!"

 

Yuju was startled when she heard someone calls her name, and her facial expression changed when she saw Sinb inside the car following her.

 

Yuju: "What's with this kid" she asked into her mind

 

She continue walking and didn't pay attention. But when Sinb call her name again, she saw her bag and Sinb is trying to to drop it on the road.

 

Yuju: "Isn't it mine? Hey give it back to me!"She follow them behind

 

Sinb: "Why don't you try to get this?" 

 

The car stopped and she is swinging the bag through the window. 

 

But when Yuju is nearing, it moves forward for a few meters and stopped again.

 

Yuju: "Seriously, what's wrong with her"

 

She takes a deep breath and follows the car again but when she is nearing, it moves forward again. You can see the dismay on Yuju's expression but Sinb found it funny.

 

Yuju decided not to follow anymore, she thought if Sinb brought it with her, it means she has a plan to give it back to her and she's just making fun of her. But when Sinb saw from the side mirror that she isn't following,  she peeks through the window.

 

Sinb: "Hey Choi Yuna, why aren't you following?"

 

Yuju: "Are you trying to play with me? You're wasting my time"

 

Sinb: "Wasting your time?"

 

She went off the car carrying Yuju's bag on her hand, and she walks towards her.

 

Sinb: "You're the one who wasted my time"

 

She roughly drop the bag in front of her, she didn't want Yuju to think that she's being nice to her"

 

Sinb: "Is it your hobby? leaving those important things anywhere? It's too bad, you should change it."

 

Yuju didn't mind at all and just pick her bag from the ground. She didn't even look at her and just passed her by as she walks away.

 

But Sinb is scanning her from the back, from head to toe, her long legs, her long dark hair that follows her movement, the curve on her back and the way she walks, how perfect her body proportion is. She shook her head taking off those almost y thoughts, It isn't her style anyway.

 

Sinb: "You have a great body, I wonder how you use it"

 

Yuju heard it and already know what she meant by it. She turn around to face her with a strong gaze. Sinb walks near her with her arms crossed on her chest.

 

Sinb: "So that was the reason why you looked so tired in school right? It's too bad, I don't want to sleep alone this night but I think you're already tired to play with me." She smirks.

 

Yuju closed her fist, she never really thought someone would ever say those kinds words in front of her.

 

Yuju: "I don't really get your point, but isn't it too much?"

 

Sinb slowly make her steps forward their faces are getting closer and Yuju tries to avoid and back off until her back leans on the wall behind her. Sinb uses her left arm pushing against the wall to corner Yuju, and her right hand holding her phone where she started to play the record that was taken earlier.

 

Yuju didn't remove her gaze on Sinb until the record ended. She get it that Sinb might have misunderstood that conversation.

 

Yuju: "So what's your point of doing this?"

 

Sinb: "You're working for that man right?"

 

Yuju: "And so? Is there any problem about it?"

 

Sinb: "You're caught and you're proud of it? and what's with that envelope, isn't it a dirty money?"

 

Yuju: "Why do you even care? I don't really have time to talk to people with erted mind"

 

Sinb: "What? So I'm a ert now? Then what was that man talking about? How could a minor work for him? And performance? What did you do? y dance, hot? Or more of it like...

 

Yuju suddenly grabs the phone on her hand, she tried to get it back but Yuju pushed her hand away.

 

Sinb: "Hey, what do you think you're doing?"

 

She thought Yuju is trying to delete the record of their conversation, she tried to get it back but Yuju lift her phone up.

 

Sinb: "Hey give me that thing!"

 

Sinb was able to reach her phone on Yuju's hand by tiptoeing but she lost her balance and her lips nearly touch the bridge of her nose. It's good that her right hand is fast enough to get a support from the wall behind Yuju but their gap is too close and she made a contact on her eyes. That eyes again, that glittery eyes that was glowing bright under the stars which makes her froze.

 

Her mind went blank and she forgot eveything for a moment. She forgot about her phone, she forgot her thoughts about her and the reason why she is standing there, she forgot about the space between them and the fact that she's still holding tightly on Yuju's hand.

 

Yuju noticed that Sinb isn't moving at all and she've got a chance to hit the record button, that "click" sound put Sinb back in reality. She takes a glance on that sound from her phone and she saw the timer of the record, 3 seconds....4....5...6... but she's just staring on it. 

 

Her feelings goes deeply and her heart almost stopped when she heard Yuju's voice, when she started singing Sinb looked on her eyes again.

 

"mogsoliman deul-eodo nunmul-i nal geos gat-a"
(Even if I only hear your voice I feel like tears will come out)

"ajig-eun naega da beotyeonael him-i eobs-eo"
(I don't have the strength to hang in there yet)

"michyeobeolil geos gat-a byeonhaeganeun neol boneunge"
(I feel like I'm going to go crazy seeing you change)

"meol-eojyeoganeun ne mam-eul gamdanghaneunge"
(Do not tell me yet. Give me a little time.)

 


"ajig-eun geu mal haji mal-ajwo naege jogeumman sigan-eul jwo"
(Bearing your heart that's drifting away)

"hamkke geol-eowassdeon sigandeul-i nal haechiji anhge dowajwo"                                                          

(Help me avoid the time that I've been walking with.)

"geuleon nunbich-eulo bojima neol jabneun songildo pihajima "
(Do not look at me with your eyes like that.)

"uli yagsoghaessdeon sigan noh-abeolijima"
(Do not let go of the time we promised.)

 

Yuju: "Is this enough?"

 

She cut the song until that part. Sinb didn't answer but now she understand one thing, that voice that she kept listening on that restaurant is the same voice coming from the girl in front of her. While she's still on a frozen condition Yuju left the phone that they are holding together on her hand and she left.

 

Sinb keeps an eye on her. And on her mind she never realize it until now. After looking at her closely, that face, that eyes, and that voice. That maybe the reason of the hate she felt before is that it resembles her Mom. And after being left like that, she felt that loneliness again.