Night Changes

Secret Love Song

Yerin started to play with her pen after 15 minutes of  staring game with a math problem on her book.

 

Eunha: "Aren't you finished yet?" She asked once she enter the room, she just went outside to buy some snacks. 

 

Eunha: "Let me check it" She takes the answer sheet from Yerin. But in her surprise,the paper is still blank.

 

Yerin: "Why? Don't look at me like that" She said when she noticed Eunha's disappointed expression while looking at her.

 

Eunha: "Yerin-ah? Do you think I came here for nothing? I already teach you this part thrice. But Why can't you even write a single thing here? Just at least try."

 

Yerin: "You, know what. The truth is, my mind is always blank just like that paper whenever I sit and study. Don't expect too much from me"

 

Eunha: "But you're the one who asked me here, Just think of the reason why we are doing this. Or else, you really want to go to states aren't you?"

 

Yerin: "No way! I won't go there."

 

Eunha: "Then why? why don't you want to? You should have a reason, you can just stay there where you can't see your dad and be free. But what was the reason why you wanted to stay?"

 

Yerin: "There's a lot." She started to became more serious. 

 

She stands up and walks closer to Eunha. The glare on her eyes is different too. 

 

Yerin: "There's a lot of people I have to protect" She said and she takes one step closer 

 

Yerin: "There's a lot of things I have to do" She added as she takes another step, now their faces are even more closer.

 

Yerin: "And there's a lot of things I have to take care of." She ended.

 

But the gap on their faces is too close that they can clearly hear each other's breath. Yerin's eyes is locked on Eunha's eyes before she blinked several times.

 

Eunha: "If you say so..." She lifts up the answer sheet between the gap on their faces "Then take this and go back to your seat. Think of those reasons while answering that problem and don't ever try to forget about it"

 

After that day, Eunha regularly came to Yerin's house to teach her the lessons she find hard to get. Yerin started to solve math problems on her own. Eunha sees her improvement but her worries also started to grow.

 

Eunha: "What if the day comes that she won't need me anymore?" She asks herself without so much thought while looking at Yerin who was busy working on her homeworks in her study table.

 

Yerin: "That's right, she's right. I have to do this, for Yuju. I can't leave this place, there's a lot of things I still have to do." Those are her thoughts everytime she persuade herself to study.

 


 

Yuju find herself sitting alone in the seashore. She's wearing a thick jeans and a dark shirt but her jacket is on. In a cold weather and take note it's almost winter, she's wondering of all places why did their school decided to have their recollection on a resort near the sea. 

 

Yuju: "Nonsense"

 

She said to herself, but it seems like she has been absorbed by the waves and her mind was blown by the wind and the cold breeze. She has been staring on the sightless night of the sea while thinking of nothing.

 

But then she felt that someone just got seated on her right side and she turn her head to look on that person.

 

Sinb: "What are you doing here, alone?" She removes the headset that was covering her ears and placed it on the gap between them, Yuju just stares at her.

 

Sinb: "You're really weird. Do you like the night view of this sea while it's winter?"

 

Yuju: "I guess you find it weird too. I have no other choice, how could they choose a place like this when it's winter"

 

Sinb just shrugged her shoulder. The silence invade the night and she cover her ears with her headset to break the silence in her ears.

 

Yuju: "Do you like music?" She asks when she found Sinb humming with the song she listen to.

 

Sinb's ears might be covered with a song but she clearly hear Yuju's voice. Sinb removes her headset and left it hanging on her neck.

 

Sinb: "I don't, but there's one particular song that I used to listen to."

 

Yuju: "What is it?" She curiously asks.

 

Sinb: "Here, try to listen"

 

She takes her headset and placed it on Yuju's ears. But that familiar voice left her eyes and mouth wide open.

 

"mogsoliman deul-eodo nunmul-i nal geos gat-a"
(Even if I only hear your voice I feel like tears will come out)

 

Yuju: "Yah! Why do you keep listening to this! Delete it now!"

 

She said and she tries to grab Sinb's phone but Sinb already take it away from her.

 

Sinb: "You're the one who recorded this voluntarily, why would I do that? Actually I also use this as my ringtone and alarm. Isn't it nice? I didn't waste your voice"

 

Yuju: "Aishhh, this kid"

 

She said and she slightly hit Sinb's arm, she was also surprised with her actions. When did she started to act comfortably with her?.

 

Sinb: "Should I pass this to Yerin unnie? I bet she'll like a ringtone like this too"

 

Yuju: "Yah!" She stands up and kicked the sand in front of Sinb and few of it went on her shirt.

 

Sinb: "Aishh seriously? Don't worry, tomorrow your voice will be discovered and this record will play in every single phone of those kids"

 

She teases and she run with her barefoot near the sea to sprinkle water on Yuju. It unexpectedly reaches her and Yuju run towards her to fight back by kicking some water and splash it on Sinb.

 

Sinb: "Ahh, it's too cold!" She shouted when the water touches her body.

 

Yuju: "It's your fault" She said and she splash the water again.

 

Sinb: "Oh? You're really fighting back?"

 

She takes her revenge but then, her phone slips on her hand. Her world almost stopped when her phone enters the water.

 

Sinb: "Oh gosh!" She said in surprise and immediately crouch down to get her phone back.

 

Yuju: "What happened?" She asked while standing still, she didn't notice what happened since it's too dark. 

 

Sinb didn't respond and Yuju walks near her. But then she started to laugh at her. Seeing Sinb's worried face while trying to perform a CPR on her phone. She walks through the seashore and gets sitted to wipe out the water on it.

 

Sinb: "This can't be" She said.

 

But she gets distracted and annoyed with Yuju's laugh while reviving her phone. She kept teasing her with her laughter and it irritates her.

 

Sinb: "Why! You're happy now?"

 

Yuju stopped from laughing and gets sitted beside her.

 

Yuju: "It's your fault"

 

She said while looking on Sinb's annoyed face. Sinb can't do anything but just to let a deep sigh. She gave up and throws her phone beside and she drops her body on the sand with her arms wide open. Just like how she used to lie on her bed.

 

Yuju follows and lies her back on the sand too, just right beside Sinb. They are now both looking on the stars above them. 

 

Yuju: "It's too cold" She said once again.

 

Sinb: "Right, it gets colder now that we're wet" She agreed.

 

Yuju: "Tomorrow we will catch a cold"

 

Sinb: "And the next day, we will get sick" She follows like they're playing a word game.

 

Yuju: "Let's stop it, it's boring. How could we imagine bad things to happen"

 

Sinb: "It was fun today, But bad things always happen. We just have to prepare for it everyday"

 

Both turn their heads towards each other. And they were absorbed with the silence between them.

 

Sinb&Yuju: "I wish everyday was like this" both said while looking on each other.

 

They were both taken aback with their own words and immediately broke the contact between their eyes and shift their heads back on facing the sky, tracing every stars above them.

 

Their heartbeat speeds up creating a natural noise that was too loud in their ears. Either one of them felt like a need to explain the words that came out from their own mouth. But at the same time, they were both thinking "If she thought the same thing? does it mean she find it happy being with me?"

 

But Sinb can't let her think that way.

 

Sinb: "I mean, I wish every day would be fun like earlier...I didn't mean it's fun being with you, I just mean that..." She tries to explain but it turns out that those things are the things she actually felt right now.

 

Yuju: "No need to explain. I get what you mean. Everyone likes happiness. That's all" She said to cut off Sinb's words.

 

Silence again and Yuju almost fall asleep with her eyes already closed but Sinb keeps breaking the silence. She can't let that moment be awkward between them.

 

Sinb: "My phone has gone, How can I listen to my favorite song..."

 

Yuju: "It's your problem now"

 

Sinb: "You love singing right? Can you sing it once again?" She asks like a kid asking for a candy from her friend.

 

Yuju: "Do you think I'll just sing because you asked me?"

 

Sinb felt embarrassed about her request. "What's wrong with me" She asks in her mind. "Am I being too friendly?" She asked again. "This fool never learn" She almost slapped herself.

 

But just then...

 

"ajig-eun geu mal haji mal-ajwo naege jogeumman sigan-eul jwo"
(Bearing your heart that's drifting away)

 

Yuju started to sing Sinb's favorite song.

 

"hamkke geol-eowassdeon sigandeul-i nal haechiji anhge dowajwo"
(Help me avoid the time that I've been walking with.)                               

 

"geuleon nunbich-eulo bojima neol jabneun songildo pihajima "
(Do not look at me with your eyes like that.)

 

"uli yagsoghaessdeon sigan noh-abeolijima"
(Do not let go of the time we promised.)

 

She always sing that song before but she never feel any special about it. But when she met Sinb, she started to feel differently towards that song. She can't figure it out by herself either.

 

And that time there are lots of thoughts that keeps running through her mind.

 

Yuju's P.O.V

 

"It has been ten years. Ten years of living in this cruel world.

 

I always live in pain and tears, But when did I started laughing?

 

I never really liked the cold dark night, But when did I enjoy looking on these stars above?

 

I always wanted to run through time, But when did I ask for the time to stop on a moment like this?

 

I always wanted to be alone, but when did I feel like I wanted someone to stay by my side?

 

I always wanted to hide, but when did I started to show my true self?

 

When I first met her, I felt an ice cold between our eyes, but why does it feel like there's a burning heat on my chest and I feel warmth from it.

 

I wanted to know the reasons for these sudden changes

 

Is this what they called happiness? If it is, I'am now afraid of the sun to rise. I just wanted to stay on a night like this."

 

End of Yuju's P.O.V.