Thinking of You

Secret Love Song

Under the light of a lamp post that illumanates the dark road of that night wherein the two girls decided to stay as the time passed by. Yuju is keeping her head down while clasping her hands together and on her right side is Sinb whose eyes is staring afar with her hands resting on her pocket.

 

Sinb: "It feels awkward...you know"

 

She whisper as she yawn but then the cold wind blows. She wipe out the tears forming in her eyes before taking a glance on the girl beside her. But she spotted the girl already looking at her.

 

Sinb: "What is it?..." She asked

 

Yuju didn't answer and just turn her look away specifically on her leftside.

 

"Why does she always look at me with that gloomy eyes, She must be thankful of me but...am I really that hateful?" Sinb asks in her mind.

 

They keep standing there for more minutes, doing nothing. But before the night goes deeper and deeper, Sinb decided to break the silence. She turn her body to face Yuju and tapped her arm twice.

 

Sinb: "Hey, Aren't you going home? We'll gonna die of coldness here"

 

Yuju: "Why don't you just go? I don't even ask you to be here"

 

She takes a glance as she turn away her look again.

 

Sinb: "Aissshh so stubborn...Then stay here alone if you want, I won't waste my time here anymore"

 

She walks away leaving Yuju behind. But after a few steps passing by two stores on that street her conscience is telling her not to leave that girl.

 

Sinb: "Why am I so nice today?" she asks herself

 

She takes a look back where she left Yuju, just to check her but she found out she didn't move at all.

 

Sinb: "What is she doing? Ughhhh...It's too cold...aishhh I don't know what to do anymore"

 

She scratch her head as she make a U turn going back and when she gets closer she immediately grab Yuju's wrist.

 

Sinb: "Hey, are you just going to stand here all night long? Where's your home? I'll take you there"

 

Yuju didn't resist but her gaze on Sinb tells everything, "Take your hands off of me" but it doesn't work on her.

 

Yuju: "I told you just go if you want to" She then remove Sinb's hands on her.

 

Sinb: "After seeing you like that? Do you really think I can leave you alone here?"

 

Yuju: "Just to be clear, I'm not even asking your help or anything, why don't you just go"

 

Sinb: "Not until you decided to go home, What if something went wrong?"

 

Yuju: "Just leave me alone! I don't even care what would happen"

 

Sinb: "Well I care! and I'm worried about you!" She said with a loud voice.

 

Yuju was taken a back and her eyes were surprised but Sinb was even more surprised with what just came out of .

 

Sinb: Sh*t what am I saying "I mean.. well, you're still someone I know... we're at least classmates. if I leave you alone here, do you even think of...."

 

Yuju: "It's enough..."

 

She cut Sinb's nagging and slowly takes a look on her eyes more sincere. Her mood changes the moment she heard that she is worried about her.

 

Yuju: "I'll be going now, don't follow me. Just go home, I'm fine now and I can take care of myself"

 

She lower her head and started to walk away, Sinb didn't say anymore words. She's worried, yes. She wanted to follow her just to be sure she's fine but she try to convience herself that she's just alright.

 

Sinb also decided to leave the place after Yuju went off. Both are heading the opposite direction and just slowly walking straight ahead.

 

Yuju: "I never knew that song would be this calming..."

 

She take a look back and her eyes just follow Sinb's fading image along the dark side of the road.

 

Yuju: "At least be safe"

 

Both of them got home safetly, When Sinb reach her room she immediately lie on her bed with her arms wide open. She stays like that for almost 20 minutes but she can't sleep remembering how much she have done.

 

Sinb: "And I even sing for her? Ughhhhhh..."

 

She cover her face a pillow as she felt her cheeks get warmer.

 

"Well I care! And I'm worried about you!"

 

Sinb: "When did I ever say that? What the...."

 

She can't understand what she feel but it makes her heartbeat faster and the cold night gets warmer. She never really care to anyone like that and most of it is to the person that she used to hate.

 

Same for Yuju, It is already 1:30 am but she can't sleep either. She rolled over her bed left and right but she kept hearing the thumping of her heart beat.

 

Yuju: "Please....Let me sleep tonight, I'm really tired..."

 

She's not even sure if that was her heart beat or that heartbeat that sounds like a song for her. Even remembering the time she lean on Sinb.

 

Yuju: "I shouldn't have done that...why did I do that.."

 

Asking herself but it's obviously because she felt comfortable leaning to someone.

 

She let a deep sigh and close her eyes tightly and cover herself on a blanket.

 


 

The next day, the class started and the discussion is too long, but this one person can't even focus and just staring on the empty seat beside her. Until the subject has ended.

 

"As expected she's absent, did she really get home last night? Or did she just pretend going home but she just went somewhere where no one can see her...That kid is so stubborn... What if...ah Sinb, don't think like that..."

 

There's just so much thought that keeps running on her head after what happened that night.

 

Eunha: "Hey Eunbi" She tap Sinb's back

 

Sinb: "Hmmm?" She asks but her eyes is still glued on that seat.

 

Eunha: "Hey! I'm here"

 

She tap Sinb's arms and finally she take a look at her

 

Sinb: "Oh? I see, what is it?

 

Eunha: "Are you sick?"

 

Sinb: "Huh? No I'm not"

 

Eunha: "Really? I don't think so"

 

Sinb: "Huh? Why would I even get sick"

 

Eunha: "The subject is over, but why are you still awake? Let me check you"

 

She place her index finger pointing on Sinb's forehead, just to , as she know Sinb's habbit of sleeping.

 

Sinb: "Hey! What are you doing." She take Eunha's hand away from her.

 

Eunha: "I'm just teasing you, why are you still awake? And your eyes seems glued on that seat."

 

She pointed out Yuju's seat.

 

Eunha: "Already missed your seatmate?" She smirks

 

Sinb: "Huh? What are you talking about? Why would I miss her? We're not even close, we don't even talk to each other...."

 

Eunha: "Too much of the explanation...Then why are you too focused looking there?"

 

Sinb: "I'm not even looking there!" Yet her tone is guilty

 

Eunha: "If that's what you say"

 

Sinb: "Ughhh...whatever"

 

She rolled her eyes, and rest her head on the table with her arms covering her face, acting like she's sleeping like what she usually do.

 

Eunha: "Right, that's just you..." Then she left

 

Sinb: "Hwang Eunbi...What's happening to you? Can't you just forget about her, Uhhh, that's her life after all, It's not your concern anymore"

 

She went back to her previous position. Sitting straight, and her hands intertwined on the table. But thinking about it again and again.

 

Sinb: "I've never done this for a long time, Maybe my life is too boring now to have this kind of thoughts, should I go skip class with Yerin and Umji?"

 

After thinking of it several times, she went to Yerin's classroom to ask her to skip class.

 

Yerin: "Skip class? Are you serious?"

 

Sinb: "Mmmm" She nodded

 

Yerin: "It's been a long time Hwang Eun Bi!"

 

Her lips formed a wide smile and she lock Sinb's head on her arms.

 

Sinb: "Ahhh, unnie let me go. Let's go ask Umji"

 

Yerin: "She didn't go to class today"

 

Sinb: "Ah really? Then it's only two of us? Should we go now?"

 

The two made their way out of the school gate with their arms linked together. You can't deny their happiness for doing this after a few months of acting like good students. Specially Sinb who has been into studying these days.

 

But as their conversation while walking gets longer, they change from topic to topic. Until Sinb mentioned Yuju, actually she also wanted to ask Yerin about her.

 

Sinb: "Ah, Unnie...I remember, you told me once that Yuna has been a childhood friend of yours right?"

 

It takes a bit longer for Yerin to answer since the topic is about Yuju.

 

Yerin: "Mmmm...I told you let's not talk about it anymore"

 

Sinb: "I'm just going to ask something"

 

Yerin: "Uhhh...?, what is it?"

 

Sinb: "What do you know about her? I mean...are you close or what?What kind of person she is?

 

Yerin: "Wait...why are you asking this much? Are you curious about her or what?"

 

Sinb: "It's not like that, you know she's worse than me right? I wonder why she's acting like that..."

 

Yerin: "What do you mean? Is there something wrong about her?" She curiously asked

 

Sinb: "Hey! I'm the one asking here, just answer my question.

 

Yerin stopped Sinb from walking, they enter a cafe house just behind them. They ordered black coffee and a chocolate cake, Yerin's favorite. And there, Yerin started to tell Sinb about Yuju.

 

Yerin : "As much as I remember she's a type of fearful and weak person, she's always alone like how she is now and she can't even fight back to other kids even though she's taller.

 

Sinb: "Fight back?

 

Yerin: "Ah, yes...She's a bullying subject when we were younger" She slightly laughs.

 

Yerin: "I still remember, that's how we first met. She can only rely on me on those kinds of situations. But now I think she's quite though"

 

Sinb: "Ohhh, I see....I can't even talk to her"

 

Yerin: "Actually even though she looks though it seems like she's still in a lot of pain."

 

Sinb: "Pain?" right, does she mean like what happened last night?

 

Yerin: "She often went to school with some wounds and scars hidden on her long hair and sleeves.

 

Sinb: "Scars? Unnie...Can I ask this, Is there something like a traumatic event happened to her?"

 

Yerin: "I'm not really sure. But I always found her crying, when I asked she always told me her Dad gets mad. She has only her Dad and I'm sure he used to hurt his daughter. But seeing how she avoid me, I wonder if it still happens and It worries me. She left without any goodbyes, I wonder what happened, I don't have any idea. I can't even ask her.

 

Sinb frown, and remember how afraid Yuju was that night. "So that's why she acted like that..."

 

Sinb: "What about her mom?"

 

Yerin: "She grew up only with her Dad, she never saw her mom. that's what she said.

 

It was a long pause, as their thoughts bring them to those kind of memories.

 

Sinb: "I just realized something..."

 

Yerin: "What is it?"

 

Sinb: "I think I'm still lucky, the only bad memory I had was when mom left us. At least Dad doesn't hurt me and just doesn't care about me.

 

Yerin: "That's right Sinb, that was the only bad memories you have, I think it's better for you not to remember that night. Your life is better like this" She said into her mind

 

Yerin: "Sinb?"

 

Sinb: "Oh?"

 

Yerin: "Tell me, why are you asking about her? Did something happen to her?

 

Sinb: "Actually....I saw her last night, and she seems to be afraid of someone. Don't get it wrong but she's not being chased by anyone. Probably her past is chasing her,  do you think....

 

Yerin: "Why did you said it just now! I'll gonna go"

 

She didn't let Sinb finish what she is saying as her eyes were full of worries and she can only think of seeing Yuju to confirm what Sinb just told her. Yerin rushed out of the coffee shop but Sinb caught her.

 

Sinb: "Unnie! calm down. If you're thinking of going back, she isn't on our class today"

 

Yerin: "Then where can I find her?"