Punishment

Secret Love Song

*At the School Gym, P.E Time

 

Mr Lee: "Your preliminary exam is coming soon right? How about this, I'll divide you into 6 team with 5 person each since we have 30 students here, we will do a 500-m relay and the first group to win will receive +10 points, the second will get +5 and the third will have +3, is it fair enough?."

 

"But seon-saeng-nim, my seatmate is not here today"

 

One of the student raise her concern.

 

Mr Lee: "Is that so?, Then one of the group will only have 4 people and the other member have to participate twice. Just choose among the member okay?"

 

The grouping has been made, Eunha is on a team with Sinb while Yuju is on a team with only four people.

 

"What should we do? It's too unfair for us." A classmate on Yuju's team complains.

 

"Let's just choose among the three of us. Yuna's still new how can we let her run twice."

 

Yuju was just listening while the three bicker, not wanting to be the member to run twice.

 

"To be fair enoung Let's play rock paper scissor"

 

The other one suggest, since it is a better and fair solution the three agreed, but in the end, Yuju end up losing and being chosen to be the first and last runner.

 

Mr Lee: "Who are the first runner of each team? Let's get started." He looks for Yuju's team. "Did you already decide who will run twice?"

 

"Yes seon-saeng-nim" They answer, and present Yuju in front of them as the first runner.

 

Mr Lee: "Okay, get on your position...." The first runners follow him as well as Yuju. "At the count of three 1...2...3....Go!"

 

The students run as fast as they can. Eunha is the first runner on Sinb's team and they found her cute.

 

"Look at Eunha, she looks like a rabbit while running"

 

"She's too cute, how can I avoid looking at her"

 

While on the other side, Yuju is running so fast and stable. She's the first one to pass the batton to the next runner and their team is currently on the lead.

 

"Did you see that? She's like a Thunder bolt. How could she run that fast"

 

"I bet she's an athlete before"

 

"But those three won't help it, It's too bad she's on a team with the slowest"

 

It is time for the last runner and it seems that Sinb's team is catching up, The batton was passed at the same time to Sinb and Yuju.

 

Every team is cheering for their last runners but majority of the cheer is for Yuju. They are both fast runners but Sinb can't even catch her up, With her long legs maybe. In the end Yuju's team won.

 

Their classmates praise her for that but she just kept silent and just make her seat on the staircase while drinking a water. While Sinb is catching up her breath on the other side of the gym with Eunha beside her.

 

Eunha: "Hey, how could you lose at her?"

 

Sinb: "You're asking me? Then why did you run so cute? This is not an aegyo battle tho."

 

Eunha: "Yah!"

 

She slightly hit Sinb's arm, but she found out Sinb looking at the other side of the gym, where Yuju is.

 

Sinb: "Look at her, I don't have an idea she can run that fast, do you think she's an athlete before?" She says while breathing so hard.

 

Eunha: "Who knows, she might have a lot of hidden talents"

 

Sinb: "But she's rude, she didn't even respond to all the praises and support her team mates gave, she's even sitting alone there"

 

Eunha: "You wanna go join her?"

 

Sinb: "Huh? Why would I, I'll gonna go change my clothing. There's a lot of sweat and it irritates me"

 

Sinb went to change her uniform, It is already lunch but she decided not to go to the canteen, instead she went directly to their classroom to sleep but end up finding out Yuju already sleeping on her desk. No one was there aside from them and Sinb feels awkward to sleep there. Even though she knows that Yuju is Yerin's friend before, she's still annoyed because she only found Yuju as a weird person.

 

Sinb: "She's so weird, I know I'm a rude person too... but I can't live without anyone beside me."

 

She says while sitting down and looking at the girl beside her. She just sat there for a long time without thinking anything, she's just too sleepy.

 

Sinb: "Aisshh, I"m really sleepy. It seems like I don't have any other choice."

 

Even though she didn't like it, she end up sleeping on the classroom alone with Yuju. An hour have passed and because of exhaustion, Sinb and Yuju were both in a deep sleep that they didn't even notice the bell that signals the end of lunch break.

 

The class started and the students didn't notice them that much since they are seated at the back, some of them notice it but didn't even bother to wake them up since they know well that these two is sometimes scarier than how they looked like. Not until the teacher notice them.

 

Ms. Park: "Who's sleeping at the back? Mr. President, can you wake them up"

 

She asks the class president who was sitting in front of them to wake up the two. He follow the teacher and tap Sinb's arm.

 

"Hey Eunbi, wake up now"

 

Sinb didn't even realize where she is now and just shrugged her shoulders to remove the hand that keeps obstructing her sleep. Since Sinb doesn't respond well, he tries to wake up Yuju

 

"Yuna, the class has started, wake up now"

 

The moment Yuju open her eyes, she saw the teacher in front of them. She can't move or say anything. She just stare on her teacher waiting for her words.

 

Ms. Park: "Ms. Choi, Do you have a good sleep?"

 

She asks Yuju but she didn't answer and just lower her head, Everyone is looking at them now. Then the teacher notice that the girl beside Yuju is still sleeping and she move her attention to her.

 

Ms. Park: "Excuse me Hwang Eunbi, I think your bedtime must be over."

 

Sinb clearly hear that familiar voice. And becomes aware of the situation as she open her eyes, yet didn't move on her position.

 

Sinb: "Oh my? What am I doing, Oh gosh no one even wake me up, is it a set up because they didn't like me? And this seatmate doesn't really care at all?"

 

Still lying on her desk with her arms covering her face this weird thoughts messed up her mind, she even thought that Yuju doesn't wake her up. Until her teacher taps her back making her finally show her face up.

 

Ms. Park: "Finally, how many times do we have to call your name Ms. Hwang? Stand up, go at the back and face the wall"

 

She says with a high tone showing disappointment. Sinb looks at the girl beside her before standing up.

 

Sinb: "She didn't even wake me up, what kind of person is this. Doesn't even care at all, well.. just like me...? Uh I hate this"

 

She's like that, whenever she notice Yuju being rude or heartless, she complains and at the same time realized that's just like her but in the end she will encourage herself that Yuju is worse than her.

 

Ms. Park: "What are you looking at Ms. Hwang? I said go at the back and face the wall until this subject is over."

 

Sinb let a deep sigh and follow the punishment given to her.

 

Ms. Park: "Ms. Choi?"


She return her attention to Yuju who was also caught sleeping on class

 

Yuju: "hmmm?"


Ms. Park: "To be fair at all, since you also violated our class rule. Follow what I told to Eunbi.

 

Sinb heard it and became curious of what Yuju have done. Yuju follows what the teacher says and stands beside Sinb at the back facing the wall. The atmosphere is too quiet. The teacher keeps discussing about the lesson and the students are just absorbing everything. The silence breaks when Yuju notice that Sinb is staring at her. It's too obvious that Sinb isn't even facing the wall but directly on her face. Yuju find it annoying and finally, for the very first time, she takes her first glance on Sinb.

 

Yuju: "What?" Do you have a problem?"

 

That was the first time their eyes met, the first words Yuju said to her. Her glare is on fire and her words are intimidating. Sinb was surprised that she didn't even get a chance to look the other way to show that she's not looking at her. It's her fault for making it too obvious staring at the person who is just beside you. But this time, Sinb must show that she's not intimidated at all.

 

Sinb: "I'm standing here because of you, you should've wake me up when the class have started"

 

Yuju: "Ugh, how's your fault becomes mine?"

 

She rolled her eyes and back on facing the wall.

 

Sinb: "This girl.... tsk.. but at least this is fair enough though...."

 

She said, at least she's not alone doing a punishment. But the teacher notice that she's talking to Yuju.

 

Ms. Park: "I told you to face the wall! After both of you sleeping on my class, now you find this punishment as a time for talking to each other? Don't chat or whatsoever, can you distance yourself from one another"

 

Sinb: "Both of us? She also get caught sleeping? Oh, I see...so that's the reason she's here"

 

Sinb felt a bit of embarrassment for blaming Yuju, after finding out what happened. They follow the strict order and distance themselves from each other, more about 3 meters away. While standing at the back and doing nothing, both of them just let the time passed by.