Voice

Secret Love Song

Sinb is alone at the rooftop, lying on a bench trying to get some fresh air. After that incident she prefer this place more to have her time alone rather than that classroom full of students talking about this and that. And more of it is staying with a seatmate who really has no help at all.

 

She close her eyes lying her head on her left hand with her right hand covering her face from the direct sunlight. This peaceful time makes her gradually fall asleep. Not until she heard someone calling her name again.

 

"Hey Hwang Eunbi"

 

This kind of interruption is surely a hateful one. she open her eyes only to see that person again, the person who keeps messing up her peaceful time. Who else is that person? Ofcourse the only one who call her by her full name. She didn't liked it but now she's used to it.

 

Yerin: "I'm trying to find you all around, why are you here?"

 

Sinb moves aside to give Yerin space for a seat.

 

Sinb: "Isn't it obvious? I'm here so you won't find me"

 

Yerin: "This Kid"

 

She rolled her eyes. Sinb's always like that, you cannot expect a decent answer from your curious questions.

 

Yerin: "What do we do now? It's already Umji's birthday."

 

Sinb: "What do you think we should do?."

 

Yerin: "What do you expect from me? I don't even get to celebrate my birthday"

 

Sinb: "Why don't we just go to my house? I'll ask our helper to prepare everything."

 

Yerin: "I told you I won't" Yerin insist.

 

Sinb: "Aishhh, You're getting weird now unnie"

 

Yerin: "Let's just go anywhere, somewhere that Umji would like."

 

Both thinking so hard for a place Umji likes, until Sinb remember something.

 

Sinb: "Hey unnie, since we're here at the rooftop, I remember. Umji likes that place right?"

 

Yerin: "What place?"

 

Sinb: "That Rooftop Resto, the one you recommend to us, Umji always talk about it."

 

Yerin: "Is it just fine for you?"

 

Sinb: "It doesn't matter, If that's what she likes."

 

Yerin: "Okay, then let's just ask her later"

 

The two finally agreed. After class they asked Umji to go with them to the Rooftop Resto and she was happy to hear about it.

 

Just like before anything Umji wishes to eat, they always grant it. Actually it isn't the place that Umji likes, but the food they serve, it just simply suits and satisfy her taste. They even give a surprise gift for Umji that was messily wrapped in a box.

 

The moment she open the gift, her eyes widened and laugh started to burst out. She takes out a shirt with a heart and her name in the middle printed on it, there was other two with Yerin and Sinb's name, she was laughing so hard.

 

Yerin is smiling with happiness in her eyes while Sinb is hiding her face on her palm out of embarrassment. At first Sinb didn't like it and that was originally Yerin's idea, she really hate things like that but Yerin forced her that it's cute to have the three of them a couple shirt. Sinb can't do anything and just go with it, it's actually her who wrap that gift overnight, she didn't want the helpers to know she's giving a gift to someone, she thinks it's too cheesy.

 

Umji never really expect anything from those two since they both have nothing in their heads when it comes to surprises, specially celebrating her birthday that her own family even forgot. The most important is at least she have someone to be with who can give her some kind of weird gift.

 

Umji: "Yerin unnie, Sinb...thanks for this I really appreciate it"

 

At 8:00 pm they started to play upbeat music which is followed by fireworks display, it is a special request by Yerin and Sinb wherein Umji isn't really aware of. She smiles like a child, making the hearts of her unnies feel at ease and happiness. The three are watching it with a delightful smile on their faces seeing the night sky full of lights.

 

In the middle of the fireworks the song changes into a live vocal performance, once again Sinb heard that familiar voice who just started to sing that song again. The voice that makes Sinb remember her mom, and the song that she used to listen everyday when she was younger and never get sick of it.

 

She wanted to avoid hearing it and just wanted to run away again, but after seeing how happy Umji is with them, how can she leave her friend just because of those memories. Her smile started to fade away and her eyes is filled with lonelines again. As always, Yerin notice it.

 

Yerin: "Sinb? Are you fine?"

 

Sinb: "What do mean?"

 

Yerin: "You're always like this whenever you remember your Mom, that pale face and teary eyes. You're making it too obvious"

 

Sinb: "Unnie, can you do something other than noticing every thing about me?"

 

Yerin: "Hey, I'm just saying...you missed her right?"

 

Sinb: "Hey unnie."

 

Yerin: "You're still waiting for her?"

 

Sinb: "Hey stop it"

 

Yerin smirks, she knows Sinb very well. That's just her, whenever she can't express herself she will just avoid the topic about it.

 

Yerin: "Anyway, this is Umji's birthday, let's just be happy okay?"

 

Sinb: "Mmmm..." She nod

 

That night was short but will surely be remembered, it is simple. Umji was happy cause even though she can't celebrate with her family, she have her friends who are always there for her. Each of them bid their goodbyes and separate their ways. Umji has her driver waiting for her at the parking. Yerin has her own car while Sinb is trying to contact someone who can fetch her.

 

Sinb was left outside the building trying to make herself warm while waiting for her driver, It takes 15 minutes longer when a helper call her to inform her that the car have some problems AND her driver won't be able to fetch her. She left with no choice but to take a cab.

 

It's already 10 pm. For some people it is already late, but for Sinb who isn't willing to get home yet decided to take her time alone longer where she walks along the park. Walking alone in a cold and dark night thinking only of her Mom, even though she didn't say it. She really missed her and still waiting and hoping for her to come back. She go anywhere her feet takes her, until she gets tired of it.

 

While waiting for a cab, she saw a familiar figure on the other side of the road, she's wearing the same school uniform as her and still with her school bag and walking with her head down and her long hair covering her face.

 

Sinb: "Isn't it....Yuna?"

 

She look carefully if that was that girl.

 

Sinb: "It's too late now, this kid is really weird. Why is she walking with her school uniform at this time?"

 

Because of curiosity she secretly follow Yuju behind, she's just curious since this girl is a bit of mysterious. She admit it, she hate that girl because of her aura that seems different and she wanted to know if this girl is hiding something. It isn't a long way when they reach a dark alley, a very dark alley. Even though it's like that, Sinb doesn't care at all. Yuju seems familiar to the place since she doesn't hesitate to go through there.

 

Sinb: "Did she always walk here at night? It's too quiet and a bit of creepy..."

 

She make her footsteps lighter but more hurried steps since Yuju also walks fast like how she run. It is too quiet on that place and you can't hear anything other than Yuju's footsteps and the wind blowing that makes it colder for Sinb.

 

But the silence just broke when they hear a slam of a door and a sound of a shuttered glass. Yuju seemed to be surprised by the sound and stops from walking trying to find where the sound came from. Same for Sinb who is just meters away hides herself immediately behind a wall, before Yuju caught her.

 

Sinb: "What was that?" She whisper

 

When they hear nothing next, Yuju slowly takes a step forward but again, they hear loud voices fighting over something, then few meters away from Yuju's position, they saw a man trying to kick his wife out of the house. He pushes his wife down and the innocent kid, who is obviously their son is trying to beg his father not to hurt his mom. But his father accidentally pushed him and the kid hits the wall. The lady is trying to get her son from her husband but he doesn't want to. The kid started to cry. Sinb is still hiding, she wanted to help but in her mind "What can I do". While Yuju who was just standing takes about three steps backward and fall on her knees.

 

Yuju: "Sss...stop it...please ss..s.stop it..." Her voice is trembling

 

She's repeating those words over and over again, while watching the scene and then tears started to fall. Sinb who was just hiding saw it.

 

Sinb: "What's with her?"

 

Yuju started to move, she try to stand on her feet while trembling then she run away leaving her things in the middle of the street.

 

Sinb came out revealing herself but Yuju didn't saw her, it's too dark and she bumped on her. Sinb fall backwards on the ground, while Yuju fall sideways on her knees, but she didn't mind at all and just run away.

 

When Yuju bumped on her, Sinb remember something, a past event similar to this and it seems like it happened before but it's not that clear to her. She felt dizzy and shakes her head. After recovering from dizziness she stands up and walks where Yuju left her things, she looks behind her where Yuju run away before picking up her things.

 

SInb: "What's with her? Why is she like that?

 

She end up finding Yuju around the neighborhood but she is nowhere to be found. She's not even sure if Yuju is still there.

 

Sinb: "Yuna? Choi Yuna!"

 

Even shouting her name, she almost give up finding her but then she heard someone crying, She follow the way where it comes. Finally she found her, at the end of the dark alley sitting on the flat ground, crouching on her knees hiding her face and shivering.

 

Sinb: "Yuna? Hey, is it you?

 

She asks but Yuju didn't respond and moves closer to the wall trying to hide herself. Sinb take a step closer and when she's near, she kneel in front of her

 

Sinb: "Hey, Yuna?"

 

She hold both Yuju's arms to see her face but Yuju pushed away her hands.

 

Yuju: "please...ss..stop it..."

 

Sinb: "Hey, It's me" she looks closer to her

 

Yuju: "It isn't my fault...please...ss... stop it."

 

After seeing Yuju's actions, she didn't try to touch her anymore and just observe the girl who seems to be afraid of someone. Thinking about what happened, She started to act like this after what they saw earlier. Sinb came up to an idea that this kid must've gone through a lot, she don't know her story but it is clear to her after seeing Yuju like this.

 

Yuju: "please don't hurt me...stop it....stop it..." She's now cold in sweat

 

Yuju's eyes were tightly closed and that moment all she can see are those bad memories. She's afraid to open her eyes and face her fears. She can't even move because of it. It makes Sinb worry more about her.

 

Sinb: "Yuna, open you eyes, I won't hurt you" Her curious face is now even closer to Yuju, she's just checking how she is.

 

Yuju: "S..someone...please help me..."

 

She's repeating those words again."Stop it" "Don't come near me" "Please don't hurt me" while covering her ears. She started to sound like she's begging for her life.

 

Sinb hold Yuju's arms again to calm her down but it doesn't help, she pushes her away.

 

Sinb: "Hey, calm down...why are you like this? I won't hurt you."

 

Yuju: "It's not my fault..pp..please...." She's still covering her ears and her tears keeps falling non-stop

 

Sinb left with no other choice but to do this, at first she hesitate, she used to hate this girl but now look what she's doing. In front of her, she place her hands on Yuju's cheeks where tears keeps falling, her hands are cold but the time it touches her face, it gets warmer. Yuju keeps pushing her away but she didn't let go. Sinb didn't realize it, while Yuju is pushing her away, she keeps pulling her in until her arms almost wrap around Yuju's shoulders. She can't find the right words to make her calm but this is the only thing that came out of her mind.

 

Sinb started to sing for her

 

"Even if I only hear your voice I feel like tears will come out
I don't have the strength to hang in there yet


I feel like I'm going to go crazy seeing you change
Bearing your heart that's drifting away

 

Even if I turn back coldly, even if I say goodbye
You know, me who can't hold on

 

Since if I make it obvious that I'm distressed your heart might become more difficult
I'm scared to even let out a single word"

 

It's a moment they feel like they are trapped in time, Yuju finally feel warm and calm, gradually her fears started to fade, she manage to open her eyes slowly to see who's the person in front of her, but she lose all her energy and is breathing so hard, she gives in and rest her head on Sinb's chest and shut her eyes closed where she can only hear the sound of her heartbeat on that distance.

 

Sinb on the other hand don't actually know what to do next. She's not moving at all, her mind is blank and just staring at the wall in front of her while caressing Yuju's shoulder, she just let the girl lean on her on that cold night and dark alley. She continue singing for this girl who holds a dark past, changing that fearful night into a peaceful one hoping that it will make her feel better.

 

"Don't say those words yet, give me a little time
Help me so the times we spent together don't hurt me

 

Don't look at me with those eyes, don't avoid my touch that's holding you
Don't let go of the time we promised"



This is the song that Sinb sing for her, the same song that reminds Sinb of her mom: Sweden Laundry Voice

https://youtu.be/BFDHtkHw7C4