Jessica

Secret Love Song

Umji was leaning her back at the gate in front of Yerin's house with her arms crossed on her chest while waiting for Yerin to come back home.

 

Yerin drives her car faster than ever after she drops off Yuju on her apartment. She felt sinned after receiving a call from Umji. 

 

Yerin: "Mianhe Umji, I'm really sorry" She whisper as she turn the steering wheel right on a faster speed.

 

Because of the promise she made with Yuju, she almost forgot that she requested Umji to come to her place to help her on a case study since Eunha keeps ignoring her phone calls.

 

Umji: "Yah unnie? Are you crazy? What time is it? Do you know I've been waiting here for almost two hours?"

 

She said as soon as Yerin gets off the car tossing her car keys on the air, acting cool and calm.

 

Yerin: "Who asked you to stay outside? Why didn't you get in? Are you a stranger?"

 

Umji: "For you to felt bad and guilty"

 

Yerin: "Well then, sorry cause it doesn't work"

 

Umji: "Really? Then I think I should go now" Then she acts like really leaving but Yerin stopped her.

 

Yerin: "Okay fine, I'll buy a lot of snacks later. So can we start now?" Umji smirks with Yerin's bribe

 

Umji: "You really know how to please me"

 

She said and she open the gate by herself followed by Yerin. Yeah, it's like she's a real member of the family and Yerin looks more like a guest.

 

The two find the most comfortable place at the bed while doing some research with each laptop on their lap. 

 

And yes, Yerin became a bit of serious in studying these days. She will do everything she can to stay.

 

Umji: "Unnie, I need a pen"

 

She requested but Yerin ignores her, she's too busy by herself. 

 

Umji: "Unniee? Can I borrow a pen?"

 

Yerin: "I'm using it, I don't have an extra. I never study before so try to find one at the drawer if there is."

 

Umji went to Yerin's study table and searched for a pen in every level of the drawer since Yerin won't do that for her.

 

Umji: "Yah-unnie, you really don't have any"

 

She said but still trying to find one, until she reach the lowest level and her hand goes deeper below the files. Until she touches something that was just like a pen.

 

Umji: "Hey unnie! I found one!" 

 

She said as she raised the pen, but Yerin doesn't care at all and her eyes were sticked on her laptop

 

Umji: "But why does it looks so old and weird? Seriously how old is this?"

 

She curiously asks while scanning the pen. It doesn't really looked like a normal one since it is shorter and more round with music notes crafted around it.

 

Umji sat beside Yerin to continue what she's doing, but when she click the trigger cap of the pen..

 

"June 30' 2006"

"mogsoliman deul-eodo nunmul-i nal geos gat-a"

 

They started to hear a voice and the two stares at the pen when they realized that the sound is coming from there.

 

Umji: "What the hell unnie? It's singing"

 

She said and she leans her ears closer to the pen to listen to the voice of a kid coming from it.

 

Yerin: "June 30, 2006?"

 

Yerin's eyes widened when she remembers something. She suddenly reach for the pen from Umji and she stopped the sound recording coming from it.

 

Umji: "Yah unnie, let's listen more. Is it a recorder?"

 

Yerin: "Here, use my pen and shut up. Let's continue with our work"

 

She decided to ignore her question and she throw her pen on Umji's lap Then she hides the pen recorder on her pocket. 

 

A few minutes passed and Umji becomes busy helping her but she started to act uneasy. Her mind is in confusion and wrapped with a lot of questions and thoughts. 

 

Until Umji found out the she was just staring on her laptop the whole time. 

 

Umji: "Unnie, are you fine? Your face looks so pale, aren't you tired?"

 

Yerin: "Ah, that's right. Maybe I was just too tired, let's wrap up Umji. I think I need a rest, let's just continue tomorrow"

 

Umji: "If you say so..."

 

She then excitedly jumps off the bed and fix her things. After that she carries her bag pack on her back, ready to leave. While Yerin was just watching her to leave.

 

Umji: "Unnie, I'll gonna go now"

 

Yerin: "Okay, just close the door."

 

Umji: "Okay"

 

After Umji went out of her room, she takes out the pen recorder from her pocket. But her hands is trembling and in a lot of sweat

 

Yerin: "How come I just knew this right now?" 

 

She said to herself before she clicks the trigger cap of the pen and then she carefully listens to the sound coming from it.

 

["June 30, 2006"

"mogsoliman deul-eodo nunmul-i nal geos gat-a"

"Stop singing, it's annoying"

"I was afraid unnie, it was too dark"

"It's your fault, it's your idea to hide in this narrow compartment and now this car is moving, how could we get out?"

"Once it stopped ofcourse. But unnie don't forget it's your idea to play hide and seek, I wonder if Joon hyung Is still finding us."

>> Fast forward >>

"I said let her go!"

"Please let me go, I have to go get Yuna. She just run away because of you!"

"Hwang Sung Jin, leave us alone!"

>> Fast froward >>

*Bang (A sound of gunshot)

"Aniyo!"

(Silence)

"Jessica! 

"You rascal!"

*Bang (Another gunshot)

"Jessica... Wake up Sica...open your eyes!"]


Yerin: "No way...this can't be" She said as soon as she finished hearing everything. 

 

Yerin: "Mr. Hwang, the person you just killed...could it be them?"

 

She might not fully understand a lot of scene that might happened that night through the voices she just heard. But there is one thing she is sure of...

 

[Yerin: "Jessica? April 18, 1979 - June 30 2006, who is she?"

Yuju: "She's my mom... I met her and I was able to live with her for a week before she died. Mom and Dad were both killed, and my grandparents sent me to U.S after their funeral and I never get to visit anyone of them. I'm sorry if couldn't tell you about it before"]

 ...


[Yerin: "You're always like this whenever you remember your Mom, that pale face and teary eyes. You're making it too obvious"
 
Sinb: "Unnie, can you do something other than noticing every thing about me?"
 
Yerin: "Hey, I'm just saying...you missed her right? And you're hoping for her to come back right?"]

 

Yerin: "I'm sure that the Jessica in this recording is Sinb's mom. And June 30, 2006, that was the death of Yuju's mom. This can't be, how could this happen?" She asks herself 

 

After realizing everything. The person who leaves Sinb when she was young, the person who'm she is hoping to come back and person who causes her a lot of pain before, is the same person who's name is Jessica the person whom Yuju just told her as her mom.

 

Yerin: "How could I even tell this to one of them?" She asks herself

 

Yerin's mom: "Umji-ah? What are you doing there?"

 

She overheard her mom calling Umji. How could she hear something outside her room when her room is soundproof. And then she heard the door closes as she turn around.

 

Yerin: "Umji?"



She then run outside her room just to found out Umji running down through the stairs...

 

Meanwhile, Yuju is preparing herself for a nightlong work. She checks herself in the mirror and she hangs her handbag on her shoulders. She makes sure to lock the door when she steps out of her apartment.

 

While walking down the dark alley, she saw Sinb beside the same lamp post just like before. And obviously waiting for her when she approaches her as soon as she saw her.

 

Yuju: "What is it?" She asks when Sinb blocked her path "Are you waiting here the whole time?" She added

 

Sinb: "Earlier, I must've been out of my mind. I have to clarify something"

 

Yuju: "What is it?"

 

Sinb: "You...you really don't know?"

 

Yuju: "Would I ask if I know? What is it? Tell me now cause i'm getting late for my schedule"

 

Sinb: "Is that so? Then go there first, I'll just wait for you, let's talk later"

 

She's just going to try to explain about the things she have told Yuju at the restroom because she felt that the latter might have been confused with what she felt for her. But after knowing that she didn't mind it, she suddenly felt more embarrassed.

 

Yuju: "Just say it now. If you wait for me, then you have to wait till 12 A.M. I can't let you wait here."

 

Sinb: "Then I'll come with you, I'll stay there and I'll wait for you"

 

She herself didn't really know what she is saying now and why does she wanted to wait for Yuju. Or she just wanted to be with her that time.

 

Yuju: "Why are you so Stubborn?"

 

Sinb: "I'm also curious why"

 

The two walked together until they reach the rooftop restaurant where Yuju works.

 

Yuju: "I'll leave you here, I have to go to the studio room now. Behave yourself"

 

Sinb: "Okay, I'll wait you here." She occupies the table in front of them and smiles on Yuju like a child.

 

While waiting for her, she listens gracefully in every song that Yuju sings. She proudly smiles with a thought that among all the people there, she is the only one who knows the owner of the voice that the people around her keeps praising.

 

At the same time, she is already composing the words that she have to tell Yuju.

 

Sinb's P.O.V

 

"Her voice sounds familiar, even her laughter is. But whenever I hear it, It sounds different

 

Her eyes looks familliar, even her face. But when she looked at me. It seems different

 

She might really look and sounds familiar, But what I feel about it is totally different.

 

She might resemble my mom and I hate it that way. But why can't I hate her?

 

Yerin unnie asks me once to look after her.

 

But in my heart, even without them. I found myself looking after her voluntarily. I myself denies it but my heart can't.

 

It doesn't resemble or isn't even familiar with any feelings. And I found this feelings as unique.

 

And what I feel for her could have mean something, like what Eunha said. I might really like her."

 

End of Sinb's P.O.V