Stay

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Nichkhun was putting all the dishes in the dishwasher when Victoria walks into the kitchen.

“Let me help you with that.” She said, she stands next to him and looks at his handiwork, she chuckles and then looks up at him, “You have no idea how a dishwasher works, do you?” she asks his teasingly.

Nichkhun grins, “How did you know?”

Victoria laughs and starts to take out all the things he loaded in the machine. “I guessed.” She starts to organize all the dirty dishes before she starts loading them back. Nichkhun stood aside and watched her work.

“Do you guys live alone?” he was curious.

Victoria looked up briefly before concentrating back on her task. “Me and my cousins you mean?”

“Yeah” he responds.

She did not look back up at him and just proceeded to add the dirty pots and pans she used earlier, “Yes, pretty much, although our parents come and visit once in a while, it’s actually mostly Krystal and I, Miranda-unnie travels a lot and is usually away weeks at a time, at times it feels like she lives in a suitcase.” She closed up the machine and studied the interface before she started to press buttons and then the machine came to life. She stands up and looks up at him with a smile, “You don’t use dishes when you are home?” she asks teasingly.

Nichkhun laughs, “Of course I do, but since I just use one of each I just clean them the usually way, in the sink.” He tells her with an offended tone.

Victoria smiles, “I see.”

She turns away from him and begins to put away all the leftovers into the fridge.

“Oh by the way, I will go home tonight, since your mother is here it should be okay for me to leave.”

Nichkhun was taken aback for a moment, he just stared at her in surprise. Victoria looks back when she didn’t hear him reply.

Victoria arched her brows, “Your mom is here, it will be fine. And besides where will she sleep? You do not have a guestroom.” she turns her attention back to the open fridge, “I will just come over early in the morning. Hopefully your brother will be here by then with Nicky’s mom.”

“She will go home.” Nichkhun simply said.

“What?” Victoria was confused, she faced him.

“My mom, she will go home. We have a house fifteen minutes away from here.” He further explained, “She is not going to stay here tonight.”

Victoria still looked confused.

“Who is not going to stay here tonight?” Vera walks in on the two.

“Me.”

“You.”

They both said together. Vera stops and makes a face, “Okay.” She smiles, “Tell me what’s going on.”

Nichkhun was the first to speak up, “Victoria was worrying where you’re going to stay for the night, and I told her you are going home later.” He gave his mother a look. “She thought since I do not have a guestroom she needed to go back to her place and just come here early tomorrow.”

Vera hid her smile; she understood the look her son just gave her, “He’s right, dear. I am going home later; I do not have a change of clothes with me right now, I was just checking up on him that is why I came here.”

Victoria smiles sheepishly, “Oh I thought you were going to stay, I sort of promised Krystal that I was going to be home tonight.” She winced, “I thought I could just come here early tomorrow.”

“Oh dear, well,” Vera looked at her son with a smile.

Nichkhun was secretly giving her pleading looks.

Vera paused and looked down, trying to come up with a solution.

“Oh goodness!” Victoria suddenly exclaims, she looks embarrassed when Vera looks up at her, “I’m sorry, what was I thinking?! You must be tired from your flight and here I am making you look after Nicholas.”She cringed, “its okay, I can just call back and tell them I can’t make it tonight, they will understand.”

Nichkhun lets out a relieved breath, he beams at his mom.

Vera bites back the laughter bubbling up , “Oh my dear, you are too kind. But if you really need to go home I can surely manage.” She was teasing her son, he was openly glaring at her now, she had to look away from him to keep herself from laughing out loud.

“Oh no, really it’s okay. It was thoughtless of me; you need to rest up of course.” Victoria assures her, she turns to Nichkhun who immediately schooled his face to neutral, “But if it’s okay with you, I just need a couple hours, I have to get fresh clothes and then I will come back, Oh goodness!” she exclaims again and turns back to Vera, “Do you need him to drive you home?”

Vera laughs, “Victoria relax, I will call our driver to come pick me up, you can go ahead, I will stay here for a while, besides I need to talk to Nichkhun about something. Nicholas is already asleep; we’ll give you a call if something comes up. Go on dear.” she walks towards Victoria and gave the younger woman a warm hug and herds her towards the hallway.

Victoria smiles, “Okay then, I will be back in a couple of hours. There is a prepared bottle in the fridge for Nicky just in case, you just need to heat it up.” She rambled on as she starts walking towards the door with her purse and coat and her overnight bag, she paused by the door. “Call me anytime.”

Vera smiles warmly, “I got it, you go on ahead, drive carefully, dear.”

Victoria nods and waves goodbye before she closed the door behind her.

Vera was smiling at the door; she claps her hands and happily walks back to the living room. Her son was talking on the phone giving instructions, she was able to hear snippets of it, something about clients preferences and such, she tuned out his voice and checks on Nicholas instead, the baby was asleep in his new crib, she made sure that he was covered with his blanket before she tiptoed out of the bedroom, she was wise enough to know not to disturb the baby since Victoria was away for the moment. She smiles when she remembers the look Nichkhun gave her in the kitchen, Yep, her son was a goner, he might not admit it yet but she can bet her life he was already smitten, too bad the young woman doesn’t care for anyone except for the one in diapers.

 

Victoria arrived at their house and called out that she was home, she puts down her overnight bag in the foyer and heard her older cousin call out that they are in the kitchen, she heads toward the room indicated. She walks in the vast gourmet kitchen and was greeted with the smell of caramel, apples and cinnamon. She found

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter