Forced

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Nichkhun smiles at their chauffer in greeting and pats the older man’s back as he allows him to park his car. He takes a deep breath as he walks towards the living room, he could hear conversation from the inside, and he counted four voices, his parent’s and then the other two belonging to Tiffany’s parents. He knows them well, Max Hwang is one of his father’s oldest friends and Elvira Heo is his sister’s godmother.

Nichkhun paused by the living room door and took calming breaths, he thought of Victoria as he gripped the door handle, he lets out a long exhale and pushes the door open. He saw them all turn to see him walk in, he bows and greets the elders, ignored Tiffany who was sitting right next to her mother and nodded to his older brother who was standing by the window.

“Good evening.” Nichkhun says to the group.

Tiffany gave him a smile but he did not return it. Nichkhun walks towards his mother and pecks a kiss in her check and clasped his father’s hand. He turns to her parents, “Uncle, Aunty, how have you been?” he said to be polite and to disperse of the quiet.

“Good, son. We’re good.” Max nods towards Nichkhun while his wife smiles sweetly.

“Well now that we are all here, let’s all head down to the dining room. Dinner is waiting.” Vera stands up and leads the group out of the living room.

 

Nichkhun sat stiffly next to his mother and brother and kept his eyes on his plate. The atmosphere in the dining room was suffocating, the food tasted like sawdust in his mouth and he felt like screaming. The conversation was polite but tepid; the elders were talking about trivial things and kept on smiling politely at each other. He gritted his teeth and picks up his glass of wine and took a huge gulp. His mother noticed and sought for his hand underneath the table and gave it a firm squeeze.

 

Suddenly Max Hwang cleared his throat, Nichkhun kept the annoyance from showing in his face and pretended to be interested in the piece of fish in his plate.

“We all know why we are all here, so let’s just get to it then.” Max puts down his chopsticks; he looks at his wife and gave her a reassuring look and patted her hand.

He clears his throat again, “In the light of the events that happened I think it’s time that we need to talk about the future of our children and our grandchild.” He found his friend and his wife to look uncomfortable. He looks at Nichkhun, “Son,” he waited until Nichkhun looks up at him, “I know that this comes off as an inconvenience for you, I happen to know that you are in a relationship right now but you have to understand our position.” He closes his eyes, he sighs, “The circumstances is not ideal but I have to do right for my only child.” He looks at his friend. “I’m sorry John, but I have to demand that your son marry Tiffany.”

“No.” Nichkhun says evenly.

John and Vera looked at each other at the shocked expression of Tiffany’s parents’ faces.

 

“I’m sorry Uncle Max, I didn’t mean to come off disrespectful, but I can’t marry your daughter.” Nichkhun kept his eyes calm as he looks at the family seated across the table. “I didn’t keep my relationship with Victoria from Tiffany, I told her about it and she had looked and sounded happy for me then.” He spares the woman from across him a glance; she was looking down so he couldn’t see the expression on her face. “I’m going to marry Victoria soon, after I have settled this matter I am going to ask her. So no, I can’t possibly marry your daughter.” He told the older man.

Elvira looks distressed and tugs at her husband’s arm, Max waves her hand away and looks at Nichkhun darkly, “But it’s my daughter who’s carrying your child. Are you trying to make fun of my family! Is that it?” he asks sharply. He swept an angry look at the family, “Well John, what do you have to say to this?!” the nerve in his temples throbbing, “Are you going to let your son belittle my daughter?!” he demands, his eyes piercing at his friend’s face.

John Horvejkul puts up his hands, “Calm down Max, we are here to talk about this, so let’s talk.” He takes a deep breath to keep calm because Vera already squeezed his hand to remind him of his condition.

“How can I calm down, he just plainly told us that he is refusing to marry my daughter!” Max explodes.

John nods at Vera to assure her, he looks back at his lifelong friend, “Now Max listen here. Don’t pretend that you do not to know my son, he grew up in front of your eyes and don’t forget that he’s been good to you and your family. He treated your daughter with respect when they were tog

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter