No Matter What

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Nichkhun smiles, “Thanks, Mom. No she’s upstairs putting Nicky to bed.” he says to his mother on the phone. He’d just told her that the one she was hoping to happen happened, and Vera is ecstatic.

“That’s okay I will call her and talk to her next time. I am so excited; wait ‘til I tell your Father. Are you happy?”

 He chuckles at the excited tone in her voice. “Yes, I am, I am very happy.”

“Then I am so happy for you, son! You deserve this; you have been so good to us. I am glad that you finally found someone to share your dreams with. I know this is premature but I just have this wonderful feeling about her. You do know that I like her very much, right? ”

He grinned, “I know, you told me that night you two first met. You even teased me that she will never look at me the way I look at her. I think I get to gloat now because she likes me as much as I like her.” His smile got wider when his mother laughed out loud.

“Are you sure about that? You do know she has soft spot for strays.”

They teased each other for a while, he inquired about his father’s health and he was told that he was doing fine and that seeing Nicholas soon has motivated him to get better. Vera suddenly turned serious.

“Tiffany called me a while ago; she was congratulating me for becoming a grandmother.”

He hears her sigh.

“You know son, I have nothing against her. She has always been sweet and your father and I know her family very well. I am glad that she is back for good, but I hope you are alright with that as well.”

There was a trace of worry in her voice, “Why wouldn’t I be, Mom? She is free to do as she wishes, we are no longer together. I’d like to think that we are now just friends.” He tells her.

There was a pregnant pause from his mother.

“I just wanted to make sure, you are in a new relationship, something that is fragile and I happen to know the extent of your feelings for Tiffany. You have been together for a long time before you decided to break up; she was your first serious relationship, one that lasted years, your father and I had thought that she was it for you.”

“Mom.” Nichkhun said tiredly, she interrupts.

“Let me finish, we were heartbroken when she decided to end it with you. We saw how devastated you were, you plunged yourself at work and did not even go out with your friends for months. You covered your grief by focusing on work; I thought we had caused you to be like that. Dad was so worried for you.”

Nichkhun sighed heavily, “No, you did nothing wrong. We decided that we had different priorities; I chose our family and the company while she chose her career. We both decided on it, Mom. I guess I can say that we were not meant to be together.”

“I want you to make sure of your feelings. If there is a chance that you want Tiffany back then think about it. This is not simple I know, but I just want to make sure that you know what you want. I just want you to be happy.”

He paused, he looks up the stairs, “I am happy now, Mom. I am more than happy. Don’t worry about me, I already chose someone to be by my side and I will stand by that choice, she makes me a better person and I will do anything to deserve her.”

“Don’t hurt her, Khun. You have to be sure of it, not only because she is a sweet girl but also because we already owe her and her family so much. They have been so good to us, I have no idea how we can even repay them for their kindness.”

“I know that, Mom. I will try my hardest not to cause her to get hurt.” He paused, “I need her Mom, I love her.” He was surprised with his admission, “So much.” He doesn’t know why but he felt a lot better after saying it.

“Then there is nothing more to say, my darling. Except good luck, I am so happy for you.”

“Thank you, mom.” He was able to smile.

“I’m going to let you go, tell her I miss her and I will give her a call tomorrow.”

“Sure Mom, good night.”

 

He bid his mother goodbye just as he saw Victoria coming down the stairs; he puts away his phone and gave her a smile.

“He’s asleep?” he asks her as soon as she walks into the living room, he pats the seat next to him and pulled her to him as soon as she was within reach.

Victoria nods, “Total knockout, we was already asleep when I changed him into his pajamas.” She smiles fondly, “I am glad that he is adjusting well at the daycare center. He was all smiles when I picked him up earlier.” She says with a sigh, she folded her leg underneath her and props her elbows in one of the cushions as she faced him. She smiles, “How was your day?”

“It was very busy,” he admits, he reached for her hand and played with it, “I had meetings with clients and my staff regarding the coming holidays and possible projects for next year, and” he watched her face, “Tiffany visited me at the office and asked me out for lunch.”

“I know.” She shrugs, “Krystal told me.” She says, she was also looking at him closely.

“She did?”

“Uh-huh.” She leans back, “She tells me everything, she’s the family snitch.” She grins, “She can’t keep a secret from us.”

Nichkhun chuckles, “What else did she tell you?”

She props her chin on her hand, “Does it matter? Is there something you prefer I don’t know about?” she said it so calmly that Nichkhun felt nervous.

He reached up to brush stray hair away from her face, “No, nothing at all. I would prefer you know everything.” He says truthfully.

Victoria looks down and bites her lips and sighs, “I don’t want you to feel obligated.” She finally tells him, she looks up straight into his e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter