Step Back

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Nichkhun laughs at the screen; he was enjoying a lazy afternoon with Victoria in his home, they are now sprawled in bed. They had made this a ritual of some sort, every Sunday after brunch with the family they spend quality time together here, away from a needy baby and the rest of the gang. Today they are watching the videos they took during the holidays.

He hears her giggle beside him; the screen was showing a very happy Nicholas who was literally swimming in wrapping paper. The baby was more interested with the discarded gift wrappers than his actual presents, he got upset when Victoria tried to take away the pile of discarded paper so they allowed him to play in it along with the ribbons, and he was laughing nonstop at the amusement of the delighted grownups around him especially his mother.

 

The celebrations were what Nichkhun had hoped for, his family was present; his father and mother flew in with his sisters from Thailand. He got to meet the rest of Victoria’s family as well; the cousins’ parents all arrived just in time for the Christmas party from the States.

The Park mansion was bursting to the seams with family and friends on Christmas Eve, both families were introduced and got to spend time together. All their friends were also in attendance and provided the fun and mischievousness to decimate the awkwardness on the first hour. Nicholas was never put down, someone was always holding him. Rachel was introduced to Miranda’s mother and the two had a very emotional talk and after that Rachel was now unofficially part of the Park clan. Nichkhun was able to get to talk to Victoria’s parents at length and had gotten an approval from her father. So for two weeks the mansion was never empty. The New Year’s celebration happened in the Horvejkul residence, Nichkhun and Victoria was surrounded by family and friends when they welcomed the New Year.

 

He chuckles and bends down to kiss her forehead and then pull her even closer, “He had a grand time, didn’t he?” he refers to his nephew.

Victoria nods and snuggles closer to him, “Yes, he did. He was smiling all the time and even charmed all the girls.” She smiles at the memory, “He was so good and well behaved Aunty Olivia wouldn’t even let me take him even when he was already fast asleep, she was nagging Unnie nonstop about grandchildren before they left.” She giggles, “I think Unnie got so stressed about it she just said yes to appease her mother!”

Nichkhun sniggers, “And she can probably manage that too, Miranda can be seriously scary sometimes when she gets focused in something.” He nuzzles her cheek, “Did you enjoy the festivities?”

“Of course! I happen to love Christmas! It’s a big deal for our family, we always get together no matter how busy we are.” She allows him to peck at her lips, “Thank you for making everything extra special. Good job, Mr. Horvejkul.” She smiles at his grin.

“You’re welcome, Love. But I think it should be me thanking you.” He gazed at her lovingly, “All of those happened because you, because you gave me a chance to spend it with you.” He had made it a practice not to mention the incident that almost ended his world. “And because you are amazing.” He pressed his forehead against hers. “Thank you.”

Victoria closed her eyes and sighed, “It happened last year, let’s forget about it. Hmm, Babe?” she reached up and brushed her fingertips on his brow to soften them, “We have the rest of our lives ahead of us, how about we make memories that will make “it” unremarkable, deal?” she challenged him.

He slowly smiles, “Deal.” He seals it with a kiss.

 

 

 

“I have everything ready for tomorrow,” Ga-In was telling Nichkhun as she stands by his desk, she hands him a file, “These are for your approval.”

Nichkhun nods while taking the file, “Okay, I will look at this as soon as we get back from lunch.” He puts the file on top of the one he had on his desk. “Victoria is on her way, I have to meet her downstairs.”

Ga-In shakes her head ay him, “You should have gone and taken her to the restaurant, how can you let your girlfriend come up here and pick you up?” she rolls her eyes at him.

Nichkhun looks at her darkly, “You already know how she is; you talk to her all the time! She insisted, she said she was in the area meeting a client.”

Ga-In was about to say something when they both heard a knock, they whipped their heads towards the door as it swings open slowly and Victoria peeks in.

“Hi!” Victoria smiles at the pair. Ga-In sm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter