In The Dark

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Miranda smiles at the very happy baby in her arms as she walks towards the shop from her SUV, she’d just picked up Nicholas from daycare,

“We are excited today, aren’t we,  Amorcito?” she laughs when he grins up at her and giggles.

“Do you know what were going to do today?” she asks excitedly, she smiles brightly,

“We are picking up your mama from the hospital! Yes we are!” she kisses him repeatedly on his chubby cheek, she giggles at his guffaw. She walks into the shop and immediately her staff greets the baby excitedly. 

One of them, her assistant who was behind the counter, Lily, bounced up and down while she greeted Nicholas, she beams at him when he gave her an adorable smile and them laughs when Lily made faces for him. Miranda laughs while looking at Nicholas; she turns to her staff, “Where is Grace?”

She turns her head slightly when a tall man walks into the counter and asks for another order of espresso and a piece of pie, he turns his head to her and nods and then smiles at Nicholas. Miranda gave him a brief smile and a nod before turning back to Lily; she had to bite back a laugh when she spots the younger woman gaping at their customer while another staff member was filling his order.

 “Lily.” Miranda calls out, amusement shining in her eyes, “Lily.” She calls out again and this time the woman whips her head towards her and smiles sheepishly. Miranda chuckles, “Give me the file on the Hilton account, it’s underneath the register.” Lily flushed and hurried to do her bidding. Miranda shakes her head at the girl as she gave her the file she needed. She hikes up Nicholas on her hips and briefly looks at the file,

“Did anyone check the inventory today?” she looks up, she bites back a laugh because Lily was at it again, the poor girl was openly staring at the man.

 “Huh?” the younger woman asks, Miranda rolls her eyes at her, with a smile she shakes her head,

“Never mind, we’ll go and find Grace.” She walks towards the kitchen in search of her manager; she needs to talk to someone who is not stunned and mesmerized by Mr. Pretty Eyes.

Miranda pushed the door to the shop’s kitchen and walks in just as she her manager was about to walk out, she asks a few questions and after she was satisfied Grace went out into the shop, Miranda turns when she heard someone calling her, she didn’t venture further into the kitchen because she still has Nicholas in her arms, she smiles at the approaching figure, “Everything okay so far, chef?”

The young man dressed in a chef’s jacket stops in front of her and beams, “Of course, Noona. Everything is perfectly fine.” He turns his attention at Nicholas and gives him a big smile, “Hi there little dude!” he makes a face, “How about a fist bump for Uncle Chansung!” he takes one of Nicholas hand and bumps it with his fist lightly, he makes an exploding sound that earns a peal of laughter from Nicholas.

Miranda smiles at their interaction, she had gotten the young man straight out of a French culinary school to take over the operation of the kitchen since Victoria is away indefinitely, she needed someone she could trust and someone who cares for the shop and who better than their own family. Chansung is a cousin from their grandmother’s side whose father grew up with her mother and aunts; she had known him since he was in diapers, a fact she uses to make him agree to this stint.

 

“I’m sorry I had to leave early, Darling. I have to do something important and I have to pick up Krystal from school.” She apologized.

Chansung shakes his head with a smile, “Don’t worry about me, Noona. I’m a big boy now.” he grins when she laughs when he flexed his arms, “You do what you have to do, and besides it’s for Nicky.” He takes the baby into his arms and in an instant threw him into the air and as the baby squeals in delight he catches him and hugs him close.

“Stop that!” Miranda was horrified.

“He likes it! Don’t you Nicky!” Chansung grins at an also grinning baby.

“Just don’t do it!” Miranda scolds him, he gave her a solemn nod but she knows he is only doing that to appease her, she sighs, “After you are done here, come straight to the house, we will have guests joining us for dinner so don’t be late.” She smiles at the excited look on his face.

“I won’t be late; I’ll start dinner as soon as I get there. I promise.” He crosses his heart while he nods enthusiastically.

Miranda laughs, she knows for a fact that if not for a certain young lady who talks with her eyes who’s coming tonight to help celebrate Rachel’s first night out of the hospital, he wouldn’t be falling all over himself to help with dinner, “Alright, Grace will close up so don’t worry about staying after you’ve finished here.”

Chansung rolls his eyes at her nagging; he sometimes wishes he is not working for his older domineering cousin who thinks he is still five, but he just loves her and his other two cousins so much to deny her request for his help in the shop and besides he got introduced to someone very special so that makes up for her nagging. “Don’t worry, I got it.” He grins when she glares at him, he pushes her out of his kitchen, “I won’t be late, and I will take care of everything. Here, let me help you with Nicky.”

Miranda didn’t have a choice but to move along, she picks up her purse while her cousin takes Nicholas’ diaper bag in his hand, he was teasing her while he walks them out to her car. She waves him away and tells him to go back in the shop when he offers to put the baby in his car seat, “Go, I can do that.” She takes the baby from him, “And please be careful when you drive that motorcycle of yours, I told you to use your Victoria-noona's car.”

“Noona, I told you I don’t drive cars. Leave my baby alone.” He tells her patiently he is very fond of his Ducati, he smirks when she frowns at him, he takes her into his arms baby and all and squeezed, “I promise I will be careful.” He says to assure her and kissed her on the forehead, “There, now go and pick up her Royal Highness, the Princess gets cross when she has to wait.” He teased about Krystal. “I’ll see you guys at the house. See you later little dude!” he tweaks the baby’s nose and grins when Nicholas laughs.

Miranda chuckles, “Oh alright.” And at that moment her phone started to ring, Chansung backs away, “That’s her!” he smirks and spins around to jog back to the shop. Miranda smiles at the baby and puts him on his car seat securely before answering the phone.

“Yes, my love.” She talks to the phone while walking around the SUV towards the driver side, “We’re on our way, give me twenty minutes.” She paused as she straps on her seatbelt, “Alright, we’ll be parked by your building’s entrance, take your time. Yes, okay, bye.” She looks at Nicholas who was cooing at the back, “Okay, Boo we’re off.” She was just about to put the car in gear when her phone rang, she looks at the Caller ID, and she smiles and accepts the call, “Hi Dearest.”

   

Nichkhun sighs in relief as the plane touched down at the Incheon International Airport, he is finally back after a fortnight of business meetings and introductions to new business partners all over Asia. He’d gone full throttle at the expansion of Horvejkul Group, he now has added chains of restaurants and hotels to his company portfolio by acquiring them. Everything happened after he struck an agreement with his cousin Siwon, who runs C&L Financial Group, with his cousin’s urgings and full support, Nichkhun plunged into the culinary and hospitality business without hesitation.

He is busier than ever, he’s travelled profusely in the last four months and fortunately for him all his hard work has yielded success, he was now flying from one country to the next for the re-opening of his hotels and restaurants. His last stop for the tour was Thailand; he enjoyed that leg of his travel immensely because his sisters helped in putting together all the activities.

He was glad to be back, after the harrowing two full weeks of shaking hands, smiling to the camera, looking at plans, visiting sites he was in dire need of much needed sleep. He wants to go home and turn off his phone and just be alone for a while.

He turns to his assistant when she appeared beside him as they walk out of the plane, “Don’t forget, it’s your nephew’s first birthday today. They are all expecting to see you at your parent’s home for his party.” GaIn was checking her iPad, she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter