To Know Despair

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Nichkhun couldn't possibly explain it to anybody looking in, in the week after that fateful and urgent visit to the hospital and they received the news that had put a great dent in his otherwise perfect life, he couldn’t find peace. He is now both worried about his wife, Victoria, the love of his life and their unborn child, his daughter. But to be perfectly honest he is worried more about her, he can’t lie and say that if given a choice he won’t choose his wife because he will, without hesitating for a second.

He had allowed her to win their argument that day to keep the baby because he wouldn’t allow her to get upset anymore. He agreed because that was what she wanted, it was not necessarily because he wanted to, she was more important to him over anything and everything, he is going to be hated for his thoughts but he honestly doesn’t care anymore.

He is all tensed up whenever Victoria talks about their baby, in as much as he wants her to be alright, he will not be able to console her if their baby doesn’t survive, he knows that with all his heart, but all he is after right now is her safety.

He was careful with her that night they came home from the hospital, he at first refused to sleep beside her but she protested and told him that him sleeping by her side will do no harm. He couldn’t sleep that night, he was kept awake by horrifying thoughts and situations and in all of them he loses her. He kept hugging her in her sleep and kissing her just to make sure she was still by his side, it drove him crazy and he had refused to leave for work for the rest of that week, he had his assistant come to the house for any documents he needed to look into. After that initial week, he doesn’t leave the house unless he really needs to.

 

 

Their families rallied around them, Vera visits everyday and looks after Victoria with the nurse whenever he is not around, while her mother, Carmen, had already arranged for her classes to be transferred to a different professor so she can come to Korea to be with her daughter. Their house is never empty; their friends are always around, most of the time to cheer up Victoria and to keep her entertained after she had complained to Nichkhun of being bored after two weeks of being cooped up inside the house. Miranda always comes around with baby Liam and sometimes includes Nicholas too. Krystal is helping decorate the nursery because Victoria had been strictly confined to bed until her condition gets better.

Nichkhun is grateful to all of them, but he gets frustrated when no one, not even his best friends could take his side on the matter, all he keeps getting are comforting pats on the back but he is continuously being told that everything will turn out right. Taecyeon had pulled him aside one time to explain to him that Victoria’s condition is not that grim, all the preparations and constrictions are just precautions that are normally taken for the safety of both mother and child. He wants to believe that so bad but for  the life of him, he cannot do it.

But through all his reservations and fears, he has to give credit to Victoria; she had kept him sane all this time. He finds himself falling in love with her all over again.

 

 

One night he found her humming a lullaby while she sat cross-legged on their bed, she was already in her favorite pajamas and she had tied a pink ribbon on her hair, he stood by the door smiling, just admiring how happy she was, how calm she looked.

Without looking up she giggles, “Are you not coming in, Babe?” she looks up and smiles at him.

He saunters to the bed and crawls next to her, he kissed her cheek and carefully wrapped his arms around her, “What are these?” he points at a pile of delicate clothing in various pastel colors she was inspecting and folding, he arranged himself behind her.

She grins, “These are from Se Young and Ye Seul-unnie, Hea Ran’s baby clothes, and Chloe’s too.” She was talking about the daughters of her friends, “They had kept them and now our baby are going to get to wear these, aren’t they just cute!” she giggles as she picks up a light pink polka dot onesie with ruffled cuffs, she smiles at him, “Ye Seul-unnie said that Hea Ran wanted to give these to our baby, she is so sweet, our goddaughter,” she sighs happily, “Our baby is so lucky, she has unnies who love her already!”

Nichkhun buries his nose in her neck and nods, “She is very lucky.” He gently squeezed her and smiles, “Very lucky, indeed.”

 

 

Victoria can’t help but sigh, she had accepted that Nichkhun was no longer excited about her pregnancy; he had been horrified at that time they found out she has a high-risk pregnancy. She wraps her arms around his, “Babe, stop worrying,” she leans back, she picks up one of his hands and placed them on top of her belly, he resisted for a moment before he finally rested it on top of her swollen stomach. She smiles when he suddenly stiffens.

“Whoa!” he pressed his hand on her stomach this time, “Did she just kick me?”

Victoria laughs, “More like she kicked me and then you just felt it,” she snuggles closer to him and reached for his other hand to place it on her belly as well, “She is strong, my love. She is just saying hello to daddy.”

Nichkhun closed his eyes in shame, he rubs her stomach and apologized to his daughter silently, he smiles when he felt her kick again, he is hoping it was a “you’re forgiven, dad” kind of kick. He pulls Victoria even closer and tighter in his embrace, “Sorry, Love. Sorry, Baby girl.”

She moves to turn around and face him; Victoria reached up for his face while his arms went around her expanded waist. “I am alright, Babe. I seriously am,” she smiles up at him, “Dr. Han said that with my progress I might be able to deliver the baby normally.” She allows him to pull her into his embrace. “I can do this. I will not give up on us.” She dove into his arms and hugged him.

“You never have,” his voice almost breaking, “You have always been stronger than me, I am dependent on you.” He sighs and kissed her forehead, “I don’t know what it is you did, but I am thoroughly useless without you.”

“And lost,” she giggles in his neck, she pushed up to see him laugh, “Remember when we went on our honeymoon, you got lost because you wanted to surprise me, “ she giggles, “I had to come and find you, you looked so adorable,” her laugh got muffled by his kiss.

“And I never left your side again,” he smirks.

“But you were very impressive when you’re not lost,” she giggles again when he rolled his eyes at her.

“I need you, Babe,” she finally tells him, “I need you to be brave for me, I need you to be my champion,” she pressed her forehead to his, “The baby and I need you, desperately.” She looks at him in the eye, “Come back to us, please.”

Nichkhun was at loss for words, he was shaken awake to realize that he needs to man up and be by her side at all times like she had always been for him. She had never asked anything of him. She was asking him now and he doesn’t have the heart to refuse. Tears escaped his eyes and he nods, “I’m sorry I’m late.” He kissed her.

“It doesn’t matter, you’re here now.” she kissed him back.

They were cuddling while they decide on a name for the baby, he was rubbing her belly when she gasps and he smiles when he felt the baby k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter