I Got You

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Nichkhun nods and smiles at the greeting he got from one of his father’s friends, they exchanged pleasantries  before the older couple went chat with their friends, the moment the couple turned their back on him his eyes went back to surveying the growing crowd and the entrance of the ballroom, he felt a sudden tap on his shoulder, he turns to see his bestfriend frowning.

“Be subtle! Relax will you!” Wooyoung hissed, “Se Young might notice,” he pointedly looks at his girlfriend who was busy chatting up two of her acquaintances. 

The annual gala of Seoul First National Bank is always attended by the elite; it was one of the most awaited events that the cream of the crop never fails to attend. It was one of the ways to keep up appearances and build connections. The men are more interested in building networks while the ladies pull out all the stops to parade in all their glory while comfortable attached to their men. The chatter around the ballroom were in hushed proper tones, the laughter and banter were appropriately suble and tasteful.

 

Nichkhun nods, “I haven’t seen them, are you sure they are going to attend?”

Wooyoung steps closer to him, “Stop fidgeting, you are just going to attract attention to yourself.” He sighs, “They are coming, Se Young told me so herself. Now,” he glares at him, “Relax, you have to make it look like you are enjoying yourself. Don’t forget you have a date.” He reminded him of the young woman next to Nichkhun.

Nichkhun nods, he looks down at his date and smiles. The woman chuckles, “You two stop whispering, people are starting to stare.” She looks at the two and she smirks when they blushed.

“Thanks for doing this, Fei. I owe you.” Nichkhun genuinely smiles down at her.

She laughs, “I am not doing this for nothing. You are going to help me close that deal with Mr. Yamamoto.”

Nichkhun chuckles at his old friend, “I promise.”

Fei nods in satisfaction, she bestows one elderly couple a sweet smile, “Good,” she turns back to Nichkhun, “Now, where is she, I am dying to meet her.” she scans the crowd stealthily.

“What’s going on here?”

They all whipped their heads towards a curious looking Se Young.

“Oh nothing,” Fei chuckles, “They are just pointing out which people to avoid.”

Se Young laughs, “Ah yes that is one of the valuable information you need. They all look harmless but looks can be deceiving.” She smiles up at Wooyoung when he wraps his arms around her waist.

Nichkhun sighs in relief; it was a good thing Fei is fast on her feet, he’d ask this favor of coming as his date the moment she arrived from Beijing.  She is Siwon’s cousin. He is racking up a lot of favors form that cousin of his, he needs to do something in return as a thank you.

At the laughter from his group he joins in by smiling brightly, he looks up just in time to see the person he’d been waiting for walk into the ballroom. For him it felt like time stopped and the room emptied in an instant. His breath stopped in his throat for a moment before he felt Fei tug at his arm as a warning. He takes a shaky breath and looks down at her to smile a thank you.

“Oh Victoria is here!” Se Young exclaims, she smiles and waits until her friend’s gaze went her way and she waves Victoria and her over.

Nichkhun watched as Victoria glides with her date over to where they all stood. She was smiling brightly and even managed to bow slightly at every passing greeting, she briefly looks up and smiles at the tall man by her side when they were stopped in the middle of the ballroom by a distinguished looking man. He didn’t realize that he was holding his breath when he felt a pinch by his side and air whooshed out of his lungs, Fei gave him a sharp look, “Relax!” she hissed.

He nods and looks up just in time as Victoria and her date approached. He smiles automatically. Se Young rushed over and gave Victoria a kiss on the cheek and then giggles and accepts a hug from Victoria’s date, he hears her call him ‘Oppa’.

“Good evening.”

The man’s baritone voice greets them in English.

Victoria smiles at Nichkhun and his date after she gave Wooyoung a hug, “Hello.” She greets almost breathless, she steps back closer to her date, and she looks up at him and smiles before turning her attention back to them.

“Oppa, this is Wooyoung, he is Se Young’s boyfriend,” Her eyes dancing in amusement as she spies Taecyeon’s teasing look at Se Young who giggles next to Wooyoung.

“Woo, Se Young had probably told you already but this is Taecyeon-opaa, Dr. Ok Teacyeon,” Victoria hurriedly adds, both men shook hands. Victoria then smiles at Nichkhun, “This is Nichkhun Horvejkul of the Horvejkul group.”

“Pleased to meet you, Mr. Horvejkul.” Taecyeon smiles brightly and shook Nichkhun’s hand firmly.

“Dr. Ok.” Nichkhun smiles back, “The pleasure is mine.” He keeps his eyes level with the other man’s gaze.

Victoria smiles at Fei, both women ended up giggling, “I’m Victoria.” She offers her hand.

“I’m Fei.” She takes the offered hand.

“Pleased to meet you, Fei.” Taecyeon bows at the smiling woman.

“Where is Miranda-unnie? I thought she was attending too.” Se Young scans the crowd for the older woman.

“She is coming, she is just needed at the office for a quick minute; she said it was important.” Victoria accepted the glass of champagne Taecyeon was handing her from a passing waiter, she smile sup at him, “Thank you, Oppa.”

“Is her date going to pick her up?” Nichkhun suddenly asks, he frowns when Victoria and Se Young chuckles and Taecyeon hides his grin by sipping on his wine. “What?” he looked confused.

Se Young shakes he head at him, “Unnie doesn’t need a date. She’ll come alone,” she smirks at the astonished look in both Wooyoung and Nichkhun, “She is not one to play a damsel in distress.”

Victoria nods, “She is invited, she’s not shy about showing up on her own,” with her eyes shining in amusement she looks up at Taecyeon with a fond smile, “Isn’t that right, Oppa?”

Taecyeon laughs, “I will be her date as soon as you leave.” He grins down at her, “Since you are going to abandon me later.”

Victoria instantly pouts, “I’m sorry, Oppa. It’s my friend’s birthday celebration. I already told you, you can come with me.”

“Forget it, I’ll stay with Miranda. You just have fun,” he chuckles and pulls her closer to him.

Wooyoung laughs, “I think you should join us, Hara’s party will definitely be more lively than this affair.” He gestures at the crowd.

Taecyeon shakes his head, “Thanks but I have an early day tomorrow at the hospital, and besides I can’t leave Miranda alone here even if she says she can handle it.” He chuckles.

Nichkhun couldn’t help being hateful towards the man, the way Victoria clings to him and how she can be cute and sweet towards the tall guy is irritating him to no end. But he doesn’t have a choice, he needs to endure as he watched her so happy by that man’s side. It would have been alright if he was not nice, but the good doctor was charming and funny on top of being good looking. Now he could understand why Victoria could still have a crush on the great Dr. Ok. He almost sighs in frustration when Victoria wouldn’t even look at him but caught himself in time.

A few hours.

That is how much longer he needs to wait. In a few hours he will be able to have her alone.

Wait. He tells himself. Wait.

 

As the time went on, Nichkhun was getting more and more devastated, he’d been able to talk with Taecyeon and he doesn’t f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter