Determined

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Tea was served after the meal, they all gathered in the living room. Miranda was giving Nichan all the information her mother passed on to her, the doctors needed to be informed and depending on their response, the consult will be arranged between the two hospitals.

In the meantime, Victoria was showing Vera and Nichkhun the house, “The west wing is closed off, we all decided we didn’t have to open the whole house since it’s just the three of us here mostly and its’ easier for out housekeeper to maintain.” She was telling them after the tour and went back to the living room just in time for tea. Fruits were also served up along with the tea service, Victoria busied herself pouring the beverage and serving it to their guests.

“Thank you, dear.” Vera smiles at Victoria, she was the one served first. She was looking around, the house was indeed comfortable and cozy despite its impressive size, when Victoria showed her the house it confirmed her suspicions that the girls’ family is also decidedly affluent. She waited before everyone was served their tea before she decided to indulge her curiosity. She fixed her gaze on the oldest cousin.

“Miranda dear, I am going to go ahead and ask, I am so curious it is killing me.” She smiles.

Miranda laughs and nods, encouraging her. “Go ahead, Aunty.” She was now calling the woman that after Vera insisted.

Vera smiles widely, she threw her sons a look after the two tried to stop her with an in sync horrified, “Mom!” and then proceeded.

“When Victoria was showing me around, I couldn’t help but wonder, who are your grandparents? I saw their pictures but they don’t look familiar.”

Miranda and Victoria shared a look before the two smiled. Miranda leans forward and clasps her hands in preparation for the interrogation. “Our grandfather, Park Tae Yang was a history professor at Seoul University and our grandmother Han Min Young was into business.”

Vera was trying to remember is she knew any of the two, her eyes suddenly went wide, “Oh I remember your grandmother! She was active with the Cultural Foundation.” She clasps her hands in delight, “I met her once a few years ago. She was such an amazing woman!”

Victoria nods, “Yes that was all she really did after Grandpa died six years ago.”

Vera smiles sadly, “I remember being told of her passing three years ago, I was in Thailand.”

The two younger women gave her a small smile, “It was hard for us, but we felt she had been waiting for it, she always missed Grandpa. We just think that they are together now, probably arguing over little things just like when they were still with us.” Miranda laughs. Vera smiles sweetly.

“So, I assume someone is in charge of the family business then?” Vera pressed.

“Mom, stop. Don’t do that!” Nichkhun looked appalled.

Vera gave him a hard look, “Why not, I may be able to help! they have been very kind to us, it’s just right that we offer our expertise.”

Victoria giggles at the mother and son interaction, Miranda was also amused, Nichan looked like he didn’t want to be in the room, he was looking away.

“Actually, unnie is the one who’s responsible for the family’s assets. She is the one with the MBA.” Victoria revealed, “Nobody was interested, our parents are all nerds.” She laughs, “My parents are both scholars, Mom is an archeology professor while dad is an engineer, Unnie’s mom as you already know is a surgeon while her dad is pediatric surgeon and both Krystal’s parents are marine biologists.”

Miranda nods and chuckles, “Grandma was actually disappointed none of her daughters got interested in the family business, they all took after Grandpa. That was probably why she was glad her granddaughters made up for it, Victoria and I decided on taking Business Administration in university while Krystal decided on the arts, she is a fashion design major. To be honest, I think the reason she wanted us here all the time was to entice us away from science.”

Vera laughs, “Yes, I think so, she probably thought it was her turn now since her husband got all her daughters.” She beams at the two, “she must be really proud. Are you still continuing the family business?”

Mirand shakes her head, “The family decided to sell it, it was not viable anymore for us so we sold it to the remaining partners. I decided on managing it by investing and so far it has been the right decision.”

Victoria nods, her face showing great pride, “Unnie has actually done a great job at it, our parents even trust her with their retirement funds!” she beams at Miranda, “She will keep us all comfortable for a very long time.”

Vera smiles, “That is good to hear, so basically you all decided to do whatever you want and let Miranda here take care of everything.” She grins at Victoria, “That is very sneaky of you!” she accused.

Victoria chuckles, “Proof that we are a very spoiled bunch!”

“Well since you have everything figured out, that’s good, but just in case you need help, on anything at all.” She emphasized, “Do not hesitate to let us know.”

Nichan nods, “That’s right, if you ever need anything, let me know.” He smiles.

Miranda nods, “We’ll take you up on that offer, you might regret it in the end though,”She warns him, “we have a tendency to micro-manage.”

They all burst out laughing, Nichan nods, “Don’t we all, you have to see what happens during a board meeting, we are at each other’s throat sometimes!”

The conversation was steered towards business and the market trends and how the business world is nowadays. They all stopped and turned when they heard Krystal walk in with Nicholas in her arms. She apologized for interrupting.

“Sorry, but I think Nicholas is ready for bed, he just yawned a while ago.” Krystal approached Victoria who was suddenly on her feet.

“Here give him to me.” Victoria reached for the baby, Nicholas smiles widely and launched himself to her amidst the laughter from the adults.

Vera smiles, “Would you look at him? I think he is excited!”

Victoria laughs, “I will give him his bath and then hopefully he’ll still be awake to say goodnight to everyone.”

Nichkhun suddenly stands up and walks toward her, “Let me help.”

Victoria arched her brows and smirks, “No, it’s okay, I can do it.”

“Oh but I insist, we have to get him to get used to us anyway, he is always with you, I think it’s time I learn a few things just in case I have to watch him by myself.” He takes Nicholas from her and starts walking towards the stairs. Victoria was at loss for words, she turns to the group and shrugs her shoulders before she follows him.

Vera was smiling widely while Nichan coughed to hide his grin.

Krystal was now seated next to Miranda; she leaned and wrapped her arms around her a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter