The Baby

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“Can you say Luna, Llluuunnnaaa.” Luna smiled at the baby. They both were sprawled on the floor and had been playing for a half hour. After a while the baby suddenly turned around and frowned, he moved his tiny body this way and that before looking panicked and suddenly burst into tears.

“Omo!” Luna shot up, “What’s wrong?!” she tried to pacify the baby.

“Look what you did, you probably irritated him with your voice.” Annoyance dripped from Krystal's voice as she cringed at the baby’s crying, she huffed and then squatted down on the floor and tried to distract the baby with his toy. “Look here, little man, look at this blue thingy-ma-jig. It’s hopping and flying!” Krystal cooed in a sing-song voice. She gave him a smile as she continued to make the doll move around.

Nicholas briefly stopped crying and with huge tears in his eyes followed the moments of the doll in Krystal’s hand, but his face crumpled again and he let out a loud cry.

“What did you two just do?!” Amber walked towards them and lowered herself on the floor. She beamed at the crying baby, tried to talk to him in a soothing voice, “Hi Nicholas, you’re a good baby, aren’t you? Smile for Aunty Amber!” she smiled widely in the hope that the baby imitates her actions, but the crying just got louder. All three looked at each other with horror in their faces, they all tried to stop him from crying but he just got louder.

Victoria walked in at the scene, her friends and cousin were in total distress over a crying baby, and had it not been alarming she could have burst out laughing.

She called out to the baby calmly, “What is wrong, Nicholas?”

The moment the baby heard her voice he stopped crying and turned his tiny head toward her, he hiccupped and lifted his arms up to her, huge tears fell down his cheeks, his adorable face screwed up in distress.

Victoria carefully picked him up and cradled his tiny head in her chest; the baby buried his face in the crook of her neck and clung to her tightly.

“Aish, Unnie, he just started crying while we were playing on the floor!” explained a bewildered Luna.

“Ya! Watch your language!” Krystal hissed at her friend, “He probably worried that unnie was no longer in the room and he was here all alone with strangers.” Krystal shrugs her shoulders.

“How did you figure that out, Ice Princess?” Amber .

Victoria was still soothing the baby in her arms as her friends half argued half explained what happened.

“Hush my darling, I’m right here.” She cooed to the baby, he moved his face to look up at her, she gave him a sweet smile and he finally smiles back, she wiped the tears from his face and planted a kiss on his chubby cheek, “I’m sorry, I just needed to call your dad, he is supposed to have picked you up hours ago.”

Victoria frowned as she patted the baby’s back. She was getting annoyed by the minute; Nicholas should have been picked up by his father three hours ago. She was half worried that something might have happened to him and half horrified that he might have left him with her there permanently. Certain situations were churning in her head, one of which an image of her in the police station. She shuddered at that image and shook her head erase the vision, she looked down at the baby in her arms, he wouldn’t just leave his son with a complete stranger.

She already made calls to his office number and his cell phone but he still has to call back. Earlier she already talked to his assistant and informed her that the center is about to close and that her boss’s son needs to be picked up, she got an unusual reply from the woman on the other line and was told that the message is going to be passed to Nicholas’s father. She frowned at the tone the woman used with the last word.

She understood that he could be awfully busy, but this is too much, she took care of his son out of the kindness of her heart but this is pushing way too far. If not for the baby, Victoria would have marched up to his office address and just gave the baby to whoever was there.

“Your dad is sure lucky if you weren't such an angel to me today” Victoria let her words hang, she smiled at the baby, “He will be sorry if he decides not to show up tonight because I have the intention of keeping you to myself, you know. You are a perfect angel.” She laughed and kissed the baby soundly on the cheek that got her a peal of laughter from him.

Krystal was getting impatient, “Unnie, I’m hungry. Can’t we just take him with us?”

Victoria sadly shook her head at her baby cousin, “I can’t take him out, and he has to stay here. Sulli said that as long as we stay indoors it would be fine, I am worried that their license might get revoked if something happened to the baby while we are out.” She paused, “You guys go on ahead and order the food, I’m sure his dad will be here any minute. I will be right there as soon as I can.” She shooed at them to go on.

They all waved goodbye to the baby and Victoria encouraged Nicholas to wave them goodbye and to smile at them before they left. As soon as the girls cleared out with Amber locking the door behind her, Victoria got busy in dressing up the baby in warmer clothes ready for when his father shows up.

 

 

Nichkhun was finally finished with the meeting with his planning team after the client left the conference room they all got busy in preparing a proposal that could earn them the contract. It was almost half past six in the evening when they finally agreed on one approach. As they filed out of the conference room and said their goodbyes, Ga-In called for Nichkhun’s car. She reminded him of what he needed to do for tomorrow and that the inventory of the baby apparel department arrived at the warehouse just in time for the opening of the new department. She smiled, remembering something. “That just reminded me, earlier a woman called saying that you needed to pick up your son from daycare, she was insisting and had called a couple of times already so I just agreed and told her that you were busy but I was going to pass the message. What?” she asked at the horrified expression on her boss’s face.

“!” Nichkhun’s face paled, “I totally forgot! Nicholas!”

“Who?!” his assistant was thoroughly confused.

Ga-In was almost running behind Nichkhun as he hurried towards the elevators, he explained to her as he walked. Nichkhun tried to call Victoria back, but no one was answering the phone at the daycare center.

“For goodness sakes!" Ga-In exclaimed, "why didn’t you tell me earlier?! I thought it was another prank call! You should really treat women better!” she scolded him as she handed him his jacket.

“Not now,Noona!” he frowned at her as he pushed for the elevator door.

“Well let’s just hope she kept him with her there, I haven’t gotten a call from the police station so you should be fine.”

Nichkhun glared at her, “That is not helping at all, I begged her to take my nephew and she agreed, what she thinks of me right now, I don’t know!”

Ga-In rolled her eyes, “It’s going to be fine, just apologize profusely and say that it won’t happen again. She sounded really nice on the phone, not once did she ever convey annoyance even when I was not paying attention to her. Apologize for me too!” she hurriedly adds as the elevator doors closed. She closed her eyes in prayer, please let the baby be alright.

Nichkhun winced as he parked his car, his heart thundered in his chest as he ran up to the daycare center. He saw the door closed, but the light was still on, he breathed a sigh of relief. He knocked on the door and waited. He readied his face, he was finally able to reach her on her cell phone earlier as he drove, she had used it once to call him on his phone, and he told her he was on the way. When the door opened he found himself looking at a very unhappy woman. His hands shoot up in the identifiable sign of surrender.

“I am very sorry.” He started as he walked in, “I know I don’t have a valid excuse, but the truth is my assistant thought it was a prank, so she didn’t tell me about your calls.”

When her brow shot up in disbelief he pressed on.

“I totally forgot to tell her about Nicholas, the reason she didn’t believe you is that he is not my son, he is my nephew, and one I didn’t know about until this morning. So please forgive me.”

Victoria silently listened to him; she was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter