Hopeful

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

There is this nagging worry at the back of Victoria’s mind like every mother-to-be, but she is also excited about today because it’s her first sonogram appointment on her tenth week. She looked at her husband who was sitting next to her in the waiting room of her OB’s clinic reading a parenting magazine, she can’t help but smile, he had been so excited since they found out that they are having a baby, Nichkhun never left her side from then on, least to say he hovered around her all the time. Even when their doctor informed him that aside from her morning sickness, which to her great relief subsided considerably after a few weeks, she is healthy and that the pregnancy is predicted to be easy.

He got them a permanent housekeeper after they moved out of his condo to a new home. He reasoned that they are now going to need a bigger place for the baby. She didn’t mind the move because he did everything for her, she was just ordered to relax so that’s what she did.

He is also a trooper when she has the bouts of her mood swings, she was thankful he hadn’t thought of her just crazy yet when she just burst out crying over something trivial as the ads on the billboards on the road. She is mighty grateful that her husband is a total saint around her. At his insistence, she had cut back considerably on the work, she now left the kitchen to her cousin Chansung and was delegated to do more office work instead. Her cousins are also over the moon about being aunts soon, but nothing could be said of the excitement of both their parents, her mother already vowed to be with her a month before she delivers while Vera had been a semi-permanent fixture at home.

“Love, look at this.”

She lifts her head from his shoulders and peered at the magazine he was reading, he was showing her a very pretty bassinet in an ad for baby furniture, she smiles.

“Isn’t it cute? This would be perfect in the bedroom; we can put this by our bed so you will be comfortable while we have the baby with us in our bedroom. What do you think?” Nichkhun turns his head to look at her, he grins when she giggles.

“It is cute, I like it,” she looks at it closely, “We can get that as soon as we know our baby’s gender so we can choose the color, but I wouldn’t mind the white one too.” She laughs when he moved his arms and she was being gently squeezed.

“I am so excited! I can’t wait!” he chuckles while she giggles.

Nichkhun leans down and kissed her, his hand went down to rub her belly, she was not yet showing, but he felt her change, her belly was not as taut anymore, it had gotten softer to the touch, he grins again, it’s his baby in there, growing every day. He couldn’t think of anything more to do for his wife other than stay by her side the whole time, he knows that she has some fears, he’d seen it in her eyes when the doctor explained what the pregnancy will be like. She had told him that she is worried that the baby may not be healthy and that she may have done something wrong that she had burst into tears more than once just worrying about it. He had to hold her and assure her that everything will be alright to make her stop crying.

‘Mr. and Mrs. Horvejkul,”

They both look up to see a nurse smiling at them.

“We are ready to see you now,” she gestures towards the door to their right.

Nichkhun helps Victoria up from her seat and they walk in. The nurse took Victoria’s vitals and kept her talking to relax, the doctor greeted them warmly and as soon as they were comfortably seated, she went on to ask Victoria how she was feeling and if there were any concerns from the couple that she needed to address, when they both smiled and said no she invited them to proceed to the adjacent room for the ultrasound.

Victoria was clutching Nichkhun’s hand as she lies down on the narrow bed; Nichkhun was talking to her in soothing tones to get her to relax.

“Relax, Love, we’re going to see our baby soon.” He deposits a kiss on her cheek and she visibly relaxed.

The doctor smiles, “Are you ready?” she asks Victoria.

Victoria nods and her belly was exposed, she in a startled breath when the cold gel was applied to her lower stomach, she smiles at her husband when he chuckles at her reaction and gripped her hand firmly to reassure her.

“Okay, here we go,” the doctor poised the hand held the ultrasound wand over Victoria’s belly and pressed it gently and moved it around while keeping her eyes on the monitor, she smiles when she spots what she was looking for. She turns a bigger monitor toward the couple.

“Say hello to your baby.” She pressed a button and suddenly the room was filled with the sound of rapid heartbeat, she chuckles at the surprised look on both faces.

Nichkhun was still in shock at seeing the form on the monitor, but he almost jumped when he heard the rapid and strong heartbeat, he grins widely and looks down at Victoria and found her in tears, he leans down and hugged her.

“Babe, don’t cry,” he was trying to calm her down but she lets out a sob.

“That’s our baby!” Victoria says amidst her tears, she couldn’t take her eyes away from the screen, she felt him kiss her temple, she turns her head finally to face him, “Nichkhun, that’s our baby!”

He nods, kissing her tears away, “Yes, Love. It’s our little peanut!” he laughs and kissed her soundly on the lips, “Thank you,” he lowers his head to her belly, “Hi, there little one, I’m your dad!”

They both turned when the doctor laughed, Victoria blushed and realized they had been ignoring her the whole time.

“Your right, Nichkhun,” the older woman smiles, “your baby does look like a peanut!” she starts to explain the picture on the screen, pointing to them the form of the fetus and its development and telling them that the baby is growing normally and that there was nothing to be worried about for now. She printed pictures and even gave them a copy of the sonogram on a disk, after that she gave them a bit of privacy and told them that she is going to wait for them in the other room to discuss some important things about Victoria’s pre-natal care.

They waited for the door to close behind the doctor, Nichkhun smiles down at his wife and kissed her the moment they hear the door close.

He chuckles when he pulled back because Victoria was still in a daze, he lowers his head to her belly and kissed it, he picks her up and sets her down carefully, he wraps his arms around her and squeezed, “There is nothing to worry about, Love. The doctor said that you and the baby are fine.”

She nods in his chest, “I’m just being silly I know,” she sighs and lifts her head up to accept his kiss.

“Okay, lets finish this check up and we can go out for ice cream,” his eyes gleams in amusement when she visibly brightens with a smile, he chuckles and lead her to the next room to talk to the doctor.

 

 

“So what did the doctor say?”

Victoria looks up from the kitchen table when Miranda placed a bowl of asparagus spears in front of her; she took out a few and started t it. After the check-up, they proceeded to the Park mansion for dinner. Tonight is barbecue night.

It had been important to Victoria that she spends time with her family whenever she can, and during Nichkhun’s out of town trips she even stays overnight. They had both promised never to be apart for more than seventy-two hours, and that had never been broken.

“She said that we’re both healthy,” Victoria smiles, “Did you see the pictures?”

Miranda smiles while cutting up a potato in quarters, “I saw it, Krystal was showing it to everyone earlier. I bet she already sent a picture of it to your mom,” she chuckles when Victoria giggled. “I am glad that you are doing alright.”

“Don’t worry, Unnie,” Victoria smirks at her older cousin, “So,” she wanted to change the subject for now, “How are you?”

Miranda frowns, “What do you mean by that? You see me almost every day, I am fine.” She was satisfied with the pile of vegetables she had prepared, she starts seasoning it ready for roasting. “Except for having a hard time sleeping on my back, I am fine.” She huffs and grunts softly when she stood up, she cradles her burgeoning belly for a moment and took a deep breath, “to be really honest, I would like it very much if he comes out already. Like now.” She pats her very pregnant stomach.

Victoria laughs, “Is he still not letting you sleep properly?”

Miranda winced, “I have no idea what’s going on in there, but I have a notion that he might want to be a soccer player, he likes to kick me all the time when it’s lights out time!” she chuckles, “So I bother your Oppa all the time too,” she gave this evil smirk.

Victoria laughs out loud; she had heard Taecyeon complain to Nichkhun about not getting enough sleep because his wife gets upset when he is sleeping soundly while she can’t because of the baby’s activity in her tummy. “But Unnie you really have to let him sleep, he is a heart surgeon; he needs to be focused on work.”

Miranda’s brow shoots up, “He is half responsible for all this,” she gestures at her belly, “I told him we should wait a while, but oh no, he says, we are not getting any younger, he says,” she almost snarls. “If I am not getting any sleep, so does he. He needs to it up because he wanted this, we are partners, after all.” She bats her lashes at her cousin.

Victoria laughs, “I wonder if I will do the same thing to Nichkhun.”

“Oh you will, wait until you get so annoyed that you can’t see your toes anymore and you can’t put on your shoes on your own, shoes that are so ugly because they look like boats more than shoes because your old ones don’t fit anymore, and you have to walk in a weird way, and then you breathe through your mouth and you are hot all the time,” Miranda lifts the roasting pan chuck full of vegetables and heads for the preheated oven. “I love this baby to death, but something’s got to give.” She bends over to put the pan in the oven, straightens up after she closed it and then suddenly gasps out loud.

Victoria’s eyes widened at the look of surprise on Miranda’s face.

“Oh dear,” Miranda looked down.

 

“Unnie, Taec-oppa is asking if you are done with the vegetables, they are ready to grill all the meat.”

They both look up when Krystal walks into the kitchen. The baby cousin was slightly confused at the look of surprise from her cousins, and Miranda was looking at the floor. “What?” After looking at her cousin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter