Him

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Nichkhun jumped out of his car the moment it stopped and tossed his keys to the man who stood by his car door and made his way hurriedly towards his waiting assistant. He earned a glare from her, he sometimes wondered why he hired her in the first place, Ga-In has always been incredibly bossy around him even when she was newly assigned to him years ago by his father, the woman was petite but her size belied her temper. He had to admit though that she made a very efficient assistant.

“I know, I know, I’m late.” He said to her as they both walked towards the bank of elevators.

“Of all the time to be tardy, you have to choose this day!” she gave him a hard look before she pressed the button to their floor. “You are lucky he is not yet here, something about mixed up hotel rooms and what not,” she said dismissively as she opened her folder, she starts telling him about his schedule for the day.

Nichkhun took a deep cleansing breath and closed his eyes as he listened to Ga-In drone out his day’s itinerary, he was prepared for today’s meeting but the incident earlier at home completely threw him off his daily routine.  His day started normally enough, stressless and he got to enjoy a morning run before he even began to think about the day's meetings and deals. He was just about to leave his condo unit for his morning run when he opened his door to find his brother outside arm outstretched posing to press his doorbell.

They both gaped at each other for a few moments before they got interrupted by gurgling sounds coming from a baby carrier at his brother’s feet.

“What are you doing here at this hour?” Nichkhun demanded from his older brother, “And what is that?” he pointed at the baby.

“Could you at least let us in before you start interrogating me?”Nichan exhaled tiredly.

Nichkhun moved aside to let him pass, but he couldn’t keep the bewilderment from showing on his face. He followed his brother who was carried the baby carrier inside after he picked up the bag that was left on his doorstep.

“What is going on?” he asked.

“And good morning to you too.” His brother greeted him sarcastically.

“Hyung, what in the world is going on? Who is that?” he points at the baby.

Nichan rolled his eyes skyward, “Let me explain, first sit down.” Nichan points at the chair opposite the couch and sets down the carrier on the coffee table. He turned it so it faced his younger brother. “Let me introduce you to your nephew, Nicholas.”

 

Nichkhun’s head whipped back from staring at the baby to gape at his older brother. “What did you just say?!” he turned back to the baby an absolutely dumbstruck look on his face. He stared at the baby trying to understand the situation. “How could you just suddenly have a baby?! I thought you were not seeing anyone for a while now?” he ended up having a staring contest with the baby before he finally gave up and faced Nichan waiting for the promised explanation.

“We broke up more than a year ago, his mother showed up at my place two days ago, she said that she couldn’t take care of him anymore so I have to take him.” He sighed, his face looking way older, “I don’t know what to do, she just handed me the baby and then left. I wasn’t able to stop her from leaving, she just disappeared. I have to go and find her; I don’t know anything about taking care of a baby.” Nichan gave the baby a sad little smile. His ex-girlfriend provided him proof that Nicholas was indeed his son.

Nichkhun was still standing there puzzled, “Then why are you here?” he stared at his brother for a few moments when everything his brother just said had finally dawned on him. His eyes widened in alarm, “Oh no! You are not dumping your baby on me!” he suddenly stood up and backed away from the pair.

 

“Khun, it will just be for a few days, I can’t call Mom for help and even if I could she can’t fly up here right now especially with Dad’s condition and the girls are still at school. I just need you to look after him for two to three days, I just need to find his mom and then we can come and pick him up. I want to make this right for him.” Nichan explains. “I have all his stuff right here, " he pointed at the diaper bag on the table beside the carrier, "the bag is packed with all his needs and there is more in that luggage.”

Nichkhun shook his head vigorously, “What in the world made you think that I am capable of taking care of your son? I have no knowledge about babies; do I look like I know how to take care of him? You have got to be kidding me!” Nichkhun glared at his older brother.

“I have no other choice, I hired someone to take care of him but she canceled the last minute, I have to be in Busan today, Rachel might still be at her parents' place, I have to get there before she leaves. Please Khun, just until we get back. I have nobody else but you. He is still your nephew.”

 

“Oh God! You’ve got to be kidding!” Nichkhun paced back and forth, “How in the heck am I supposed to take care of him!”

 

“You can do it, I trust you.” Nichan pleaded, so when Nichkhun just stared back at him he was sati

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter