Not Yet

My Finest Hour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Victoria’s eyes went wide, “Oh, I’m so sorry. It's just that Nichkhun didn’t say anything this morning about you coming today.” Victoria was all red, she was embarrassed. She smiles at the woman, her hand went up to her hair, and she could just imagine the tousled state she was in. She hurriedly straightened her hair and blushed as she smoothed her shirt. “Oh my goodness!” she gushed, “I don’t know what to say!”

She suddenly remembered her manners; she felt that she needed to introduce herself. “I am Victoria by the way“she started and was just about to add that she is the baby’s caregiver when the woman gushed at her.

“Oh, you have a beautiful name!” Vera got up from the couch and moved towards Victoria, she was holding the baby with one arm and her other one was extended towards her.

“Ah, yes. Thank you.” Victoria automatically moved closer to the older woman and extended her hand to her, she was taken aback when Vera pulled her closer and enveloped her in a one-arm hug. She awkwardly hugged the woman back and supported Nicholas’s back with her other hand.

“I am Vera, Nichkhun’s mom.”

“I'm pleased to meet you. I’ve seen your pictures.” Victoria smiles, she had seen pictures of Nichkhun’s mom when Luna showed her articles about the woman’s charity work, her friend that she may need information on her future mother-in-law, Luna got a warning glare from her and that prompted the younger girl to stop teasing her.

“Is that right?” Vera smiles, she studies the younger woman, “What do you do, if I may ask? You don’t stay home, do you?”

Victoria smiles, “Oh no, I own and manage a dessert shop, I’m a pastry chef, but I do have a degree in business management only my passion lies with sugar and butter.” She laughs and sat on the couch when Vera asked her to sit.

Victoria smiles widely when Nicholas turned and reached for her. The woman laughs and gave the baby to her carefully.

“Aw, he is so clingy isn’t he?” Vera pats the baby on the back gently.

Victoria looks up and smiles, "Let me introduce him" she grins and turns the baby towards Vera, "This is Nicholas." she turns to the baby and talks to him. “Nicholas, did you behave while you were with Grandma?”

Vera smiles fondly, “Hi Nicholas, I'm grandma. He was a bit alarmed earlier when I took him out of the bedroom, he kept looking at the bedroom door, I had to show him and tell him that you were still on the bed asleep and only then did he smile at me.” Vera was telling her.

“Goes to show how attached he is to you, but then again” Vera smiles indulgently, “You are the most important person to him.”

Victoria laughs, “Yes he is very clingy, but then he is always very sweet and I can’t bear to see him sad so I take him everywhere.” She turns to Nicholas, “Isn’t that right, my darling.” When Nicholas made a delighted sound both women laughed.

Vera smiles, “That’s wonderful, I am impressed that you are able to do that and take such good care of Nicholas.”

Suddenly Victoria remembered she needs to feed Nicholas and then start dinner.

“I’m so sorry, I totally forgot! Can I get you anything?” when Vera shook her head, she stood up and hiked the baby on her hip, “I am just going to feed him and then I can start dinner, is that okay?” she paused and waited for Vera’s reply.

The woman softly laughs, “Don’t be sorry, dear, and don’t worry about me. I am fine; I can help you with Nicholas if you like. It’s totally my fault, I came unannounced; Nichkhun doesn’t know that I was flying in today.” Vera beams up at the harassed looking woman and then smiled at the baby in her arms.

“Fly in?” Victoria was confused.

Vera nods, “Yes, I flew in from Thailand earlier, I tried calling my eldest son but I was told that he is out of town. So I came here instead.”

Victoria smiles and nods, she was still reeling from the knowledge that Nicholas’s grandmother is actually here and the fact that she was unprepared and also caught literally sleeping on the job.

“Oh then you must be tired, I can prepare the bedroom and you can take a rest while I make dinner.” Victoria offered.

“Oh no, dear. I am far too excited to be here with my grandson to even think of resting. I will help you instead, and we can continue to talk in the kitchen, I have so much to ask about him. That is of course if you don’t mind?” Vera asked tentatively.

Victoria was a bit stumped, the only things she knows about Nicholas was whatever was written on his mother’s journal. Nicholas’s mother had itemized all the things pertaining to the baby. She was now actually relieved to see that the baby’s grandmother was here, she can probably go home tonight, and she figured maybe Nichkhun told her about Nicholas and the baby’s situation that is why she suddenly flew in.

“Of course not, I will tell you all I know!” Victoria said with a smile.

Vera laughed out loud, “Yes all you know, I can imagine you must be learning a lot about him every day. It must be very exciting!”

“Actually, we both surprise each other.” Victoria smiles at the baby in her arms, “I started giving him solid food today and he likes it, and he is starting to imitate sounds, it is very exciting!”

“I bet his first word’s going to be mama.” Vera beams at her grandson so she didn’t see the sad look in Victoria’s eyes.

Victoria felt sad when Vera mentions the word mama, she pressed her nose in Nicholas cheek, she hopes he gets to call out mama to his mother. She had been praying earnestly that things go well for Nicholas. “I hope so too.” She said distractedly. She suddenly blinked, she is not sure if Vera is privy to the baby’s whole situation, she wants to stay out of this mess as much as she can. She smiles brightly at the older woman.

“I will just put him his bouncer while I go get his milk,” she starts for the kitchen with Vera trailing behind her, “I am sticking to feeding him milk for now and solid food only for breakfast, I don’t want to shock his system, he needs to get used to it first.” She was saying, she suddenly stops and laughs, “I’m so sorry, you probably know all this already.” She blushed when Vera lets out a laugh too.

“Don’t worry, Victoria. I am just glad to know that you are so capable around my grandson, and seeing as how healthy he is, I need not worry.” Vera sat on the chair and watched Victoria secure Nicholas in his bouncer that was on top of the kitchen table.

“I have to put him here, he gets agitated when he doesn’t see me, he calms down when he sees me or hear my voice, so I was left with no choice.” Victoria explained.

Vera nods, she starts talking to Nicholas as Victoria went to prepare his milk. Nicholas smiled widely when Victoria approached with his bottle. Vera took it from her and held it for Nicholas, she continued to talk to the baby in a very playful voice.

“Oh my goodness, he’s got a good appetite, doesn’t he?” Vera exclaims, she was fascinated.

Victoria agreed with her, she starts taking out ingredients from the fridge, she asks Vera if there was something in particular she wanted for dinner, when the older woman told her to decide she nodded and concentrated on cooking. She was now glad that groceries were also delivered

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter