Expectations

This Is What We Are: Frenemies

Yongguk's and Jieun's mother stood in the kitchen preparing for morning breakfast.

“Is Yongguk okay?” Jieun's mother asked with a smile while they waited for some of the food to fry. Yongguk's mother pouted her lips and looked up with squint eyes.

“Yes… he’s fine. Why?” She asked curiously. Jieun's mother looked down with a smile and chuckled nervously.

“Yesterday night around 10pm, he came over looking for Jieun.” She said with a slight smile. Yongguk's mother dropped the spoon in her hand as shock came across her face.

“Really?!” She asked with a huge smile on her face. “Why?!”

“Yes! He took her out to eat noodles.” Jieun's mother said in confusion. Yongguk's mother scratched her chin in misperception. “Why noodles? Why not a fancy restaurant?” She asked with narrowed eyes, almost in anger.

“He was probably in a rush! Don’t get angry at him.” Jieun's mother said with a chuckle, covering . Yongguk's mother sighed deeply and sat down on a chair while Jieun's mother continued cooking.

“My son isn’t romantic like his father at all.” She said while shaking her head in disappointment.

               

 

Jieun sat in the middle of Yongguk's huge hotel bed, criss crossed, and flipped through the boring channels.

One of her elbows was placed on her knees and her hand rested under her chin.

“Yah!!! Bbang bbang!! Hurry up! Why do you take so long to shower!? I’ve flipped through thousands of channels already!” She screamed at the top of her lungs while holding on to the channel switcher.

She calmed down and sighed in annoyance, releasing the channel switch, which landed on a cooking show.

Yongguk stood in the bathroom looking at his phone in amusement. He was already fully clothed and just trying to annoy her. His hair was neatly combed and he was dressed in a bright white and clean polo shirt with tan shorts.

“If you don’t come out RIGHT NOW-“

 

“Good morning Pucca :)”

 

Yongguk snickered to himself when he heard her instantly stop speaking. He tried his best to stop laughing out loud when he read the text she sent him with a chuckle.

 

                “Good morning Garu. How are you? :)”

 

Jieun smiled and totally forgot that she was waiting for Yongguk who was still in the bathroom. She switched the television off and lay with her back on Yongguk's bed and smiled.

 

“Very good so far. You?”

 

Yongguk couldn’t wait to see her response, so he slowly walked out of the bathroom with his eyes searching for her. She instantly sat up with narrowed eyes and scowled.

“NOW you come out?!” She yelled in almost disappointment. Yongguk chuckled and shrugged.

“I had to do something. So what? Let’s get going.” He said carelessly laughing so hard whenever he turned his back to her. His phone vibrated as he read it and threw a bag over his shoulder.

 

                “It’s okay. I hope it gets better.”

“Why do you say that?”

 

They both walked out of the hotel room with a couple bags in each their hands as they threw the luggage in Yongguk's car.

Jieun walked quickly to her car without looking back at him and sat in the driver’s seat with a smile. Yongguk did the same and took his phone out quickly to read Pucca's text.

 

                “Because my friend is leaving today….”

 

Yongguk narrowed his eyes in confusion and watched as she started her car and drove towards her house first.

She threw him an evil glance before she pulled out of the hotel parking lot. He chuckled and shook his head, trying to figure her out. He started his engine and sighed.

 

“Is that good or bad?”

 

He gently set his phone by his thigh and drove quickly to catch up with Jieun. It took her a bit to reply back since she was driving.

 

                “Well it’s both good and bad…”

 

Yongguk chuckled and tilted his head a bit, trying to focus on driving.

Jieun took a deep breath and turned the corner to her house. She parked her car and looked down at her phone.

Yongguk stopped his car a little farther from hers and caught her smiling expression earlier changing into despair. He stared at his phone and took a deep breath.

 

“Are you sad that he’s leaving?”

                “Yes and no.”

“It sounds like you don’t want to talk about it.”

                “Not really…”

“You know you can talk to me about anything right?”

 

Jieun smiled and leaned the back of her head on her seat with half shut eyes.

Yongguk stared at her awkwardly and placed his elbows on the wheel of his car.

“What’s wrong with her?” He said in silence.

 

                “I’ll tell you about it when I figure out what’s going on with my feelings :)”

 

“Feelings??” He questioned with an odd look on his face. He let out a silent cough and drove his car to park behind her, making it seem as though he had just arrived.

He put on the ‘jerk’ look on his face and got out of his car with a smirk. He walked towards her driver’s side and squint his eyes at her when she didn’t realize he was staring at her.

Her eyes were closed and she looked as though there was so much confusion and misconception going through her mind.

Yongguk covered his forehead and took a deep breath before pounding his knuckles so loud on her window that made her shake uncontrollably.

“Still SLEEPING LAZY?!!” He yelled with a loud laugh. She unbuckled her seatbelt off of her body and opened the door to chase him into the house with narrowed eyes.

“You JERK!” She screamed loudly after him while he glanced back at her and laughed loudly.

They both appeared through the swinging door together when Jieun jumped on Yongguk's back and pulled his hair.

He laughed loudly, remembering when they were younger that this was the only way she could ever beat him up.

Her face was scrunched up and filled with anger while Yongguk's was half laughing and in pain with his back bent a little so she wouldn’t fall off.

They heard a couple coughs as they stopped what they were doing and found their parents watching them with crossed arms and wide, shocked, and happy eyes.

 

“What’s… going on here?” Jieun's father asked. She jumped off of Yongguk's back in embarrassment and stood next to him with a cough.

Yongguk glared at her in anger as she gave the same exact gaze back at him. Both their hands were tightly by their sides and their heads were slightly lowered with slouched backs.

Their mothers glanced at each other with wide smiles while they didn’t see.

“You guys came straight in time. Go wash up so we can eat.” Yongguk's mother said with a smile. Jieun looked up in excitement at the thought of food.

She and Yongguk looked at each other then they both raced towards the sink together to wash their hands.

They both stopped together until Yongguk glanced at his parents and then glowered at Jieun. He politely allowed her to wash up and go ahead before her as his parents smiled.

“Gosh, I hate being respectful to you.” He muttered when they were both drying their hands with a couple towels nearby. “Well then, DON’T be respectful towards me.” She said in a sarcastic tone, knowing that he had to be polite towards her in front of his parents and hers.

He smirked at her with a scoff and glanced at his parents, who were all sitting at the table already.

 

 

After the family ate, they all sat in the living room talking and watching television while Jieun and Yongguk cleaned up.

“Why’re WE doing this mom?” Jieun asked in annoyance. Yongguk threw a soaped up plate into her side of the sink and ignored her question.

There was so much going through his head while he eavesdropped on the conversation going on between their parents in the living room.

“Because we all cooked!” Her mother finally yelled with laughter. Jieun scoffed and shook her head, rinsing the plate quickly. Yongguk's eyes narrowed a bit, trying to listen to their every word.

 

“It’s going to be another 5 years until we see each other again.” Yongguk's father said with a sad chuckle.

For some reason, hearing these words made Yongguk's stomach churn. He glanced at Jieun who was muttering words of annoyance out of . He slightly smiled and flashed his teeth, soaping the plates up.

 

“It’s going to be such a long time. This summer has been great.” Jieun's mother said with her hands on Yongguk's mother’s hand.

“I really wish we could just stay here actually.” Yongguk's mother said with a sad smile. “We’ll be back in the next 5 years. Everything will be fine.” His father said with a smile.

“I was thinking….  now that the children are older now, how about we change 5 years to twice a year?” Jieun's father asked with raised eyebrows and a smile.

 

Yongguk finished soaping up his plates and because he was so caught up with listening, he held the sponge in his hands with a perplexed and excited look on his face.

Jieun stared at him awkwardly when she finished rinsing the plates.

“Hey…” she said in confusion while he remained motionless. “Hey Bang Yongguk!” She said louder, bumping their shoulders together.

He quickly looked at her and then looked away, hiding his smile and washing his hands.

“Are you okay?” She asked with a confused chuckle. He glanced at her and nodded. “Yes…I just-“

Jieun's phone rang loudly making Yongguk quickly turned to look at her phone on the counter.

She took a huge step and answered her phone with a huge smile making Yongguk narrow his eyes in anger. He felt angry knowing that she was excited to talk to anybody else besides Garu.

“OH! Yoo Youngjae!” She said loudly with a careless glance at Yongguk. She coughed and walked towards her bedroom up the stairs.

"Ah, I'll just call you Youngjae... oppa is too soon..." she chuckled loudly.

Yongguk watched as she turned the corners to the stairs before he covered his forehead with his hand.

“What the hell is going on?!” He whispered under his breath, shutting his eyes tight in anger.

 

“Bang Yongguk?” He shook when he heard his father’s sound calling for him. “Yes?” He asked eagerly, walking over to their parents.

They were all looking at him with a smile that made him almost nervous. He looked down immediately and sat down in an open couch nearby.

“Where’s Jieun?” Her father asked looking around for her. Yongguk pointed up the stairs and smiled. “She had a call.” He looked down and made a quick smile.

“It’s alright, we can discuss this without her.” Jieun's mother said with an almost excited chuckle. One of her hands was on top of Yongguk's mother’s hand and this made him nervous and confused.

“Discuss…what?” He asked curiously. His father smiled and looked down.

“Would you mind…staying here with Jieun?” Jieun's father asked with a hopeful look on his face. Yongguk stared at them all in confusion and squint his eyes.

“W-w-why?” He asked through stutters when his mother sat up straighter to speak while leaning in towards him.

“Well, we were discussing this and since we’re seeing a little progress in you and Jieun's relationship-“

“No…there’s no-“

“Please don’t interrupt your mother.” His father said instantly. Yongguk nodded and looked down politely with a nod.

“As I was saying, we’re seeing a progress in your relationship.” She continued when Yongguk looked down. He was slightly shaking his head, but he had a slight happiness to hear his parents talking about them being in a relationship.

“And since Jieun's parents haven’t visited in a long time… they’re going to come spend a few months with your father and I while you stay here and figure out-“

“Wait… what about work?” Yongguk asked with a louder tone. He was sitting up taller and confused. “Don’t worry about that. We already have everything covered.” Jieun's father said with a smile.

Yongguk looked down, trying to figure out his own feelings, if he was going to stay or not.

“So…you’re leaving me….alone…with Jieun?” He asked peculiarly, not understanding why they would want to do this. “Yes.” Her mother said.

“We trust you Yongguk. You’re a great person and we KNOW that you’d take care and protect our little cheon-cheon no matter what.”

Yongguk looked down, almost in fear, when he knew that he would do anything to protect Jieun. Not only because he’s known her their whole life and had the feeling that she was a sister to him, but there was something else that he couldn’t figure out.

“So what do you say?” Yongguk's father asked. “Have you guys talked to… Jieun about this? What if she-“

“Her decision doesn’t matter.” Jieun's mother said with a serious tone. Yongguk stood up and squint his eyes, thinking to himself while he scratched the back of his neck.

“Um…. let me think about it.” He said while walking upstairs towards the bathroom.

There was so much running through his mind as he thought of how awkward everything was going to be. He’s never been alone with Jieun in the house at all and the thoughts of her being Pucca made things even more odd.

 

“Yes! I’ll tell my parents that I’m going to the tour with you!”

Yongguk heard Jieun yell loudly with excitement on the phone when he passed her bedroom door. He almost choked on air and turned back to listen to what they were talking about.

“So, it’s this week right?” She asked again. He heard her chuckle and he could tell she was biting her nails by the sound of her voice. It sounded as though she was chewing on a chunk of food.

“I don’t know if I can go for a whole week but we’ll see.”

Yongguk looked up quickly and narrowed his eyes.

“A whole week?” He said silently to himself. He crept back down stairs as fast as he could.

 

When he entered the living room, he was running so fast that he almost couldn’t stop. The parents stopped talking immediately and stared at him oddly.

“I-I-I have my answer.” He said breathlessly. Their parents glanced at each other with odd chuckles.

“Okay…what is it?” His father asked. Yongguk caught his breath and glanced up the stairs to make sure Jieun wasn’t coming down yet.

“Yes… I’ll allow you for some time together while I stay here with Jieun.” He said politely with a smile on his face that startled them all.

 

A/N: Kekeke... jelly Yongguk would rather her stay with him than go out with Youngjae .. XD

Well... how are they gonna do staying home together.... alone......?????? Hmm??? :D

If youguys don't like Youngjae being the annoying person in here, then please leave comments below and let me know who you want to replace him okay? Because..... I feel like he's going to be pretty annoying for a while.... :/ I know... I'm sorry... :/

Please be patient with me for my next chapter!!!!!! Thanks for all the love and support!!

Until next time, saranghae yerobun!! BBCnTSFAM signing out!! PYONG!!~~