Heartbeat

This Is What We Are: Frenemies

“Hey, what do you think lives in that island?” Yongguk asked pointing at the island across from them. She scoffed and looked towards the island, squinting her eyes.

“No one?” She said unsure while Yongguk hissed and tilted his head. “No. I’m pretty sure something lives there.” He said suspiciously, rubbing his chin.

“I’m curious.” He said standing up and stretching. He suddenly lifted his shirt off his body, showing his muscular and clear skin, seeming like he was about to jump into the water. Jieun stared and scoffed in disgust.

“You don’t have to show off-“

She stopped speaking and quickly slapped his lower back as hard as possible, keeping her hand there.

“AH!! YAH!!!!” Yongguk yelled loudly, taking a step forward and stepping into the cold lake without realizing it. He slipped and fell on his back with a gasp and a loud splash from the freezing water in the night cold sky.

“What was that for?!!” He screamed loudly in the water, filled in anger while Jieun watched and laughed pointing at him.

“Mosquito! There was a mosquito!” She yelled chuckling and standing up. She took a step back to make sure she doesn’t step in the water also. He glowered at her and scratched his wet back, trying to get up from the cold water.

“Liar!” He yelled finally managing to stand up. He was shivering now and walking towards her. She backed up and hid her laughter.

“Really! Look!” She yelled holding her hand out and showing him the dead mosquito between her fingers. He squinted and hissed at her, shivering his way to his tent.

“Chagaman Bang Yongguk! I know a really easy and quick way to dry you up.” She said with a raised eyebrow. He stopped walking and gazed at her in irritation.

 

               

Jieun's and Yongguk's parents sat by the campfire chuckling to themselves.

 

 

Meanwhile, Yongguk and Jieun shouted at each other in a distance.

“Hurry! It’s cold!” He yelled faintly while Jieun chuckled loudly.

 

 

“Do you think the children will agree to our decision?” Yongguk's father asked curiously. “I know for a fact that they don’t get along at all.” Yongguk's mother said looking down with a deep sigh.

“But I do understand that one day they’ll come together.” She said squinting her eyes.

“So your answer is??” Jieun's father asked curiously. “I think we should hold the engagement off for a while…only until the children agree-“

“They’re not children anymore Yongguk's mother.” Jieun's mother said with a hand to Yongguk's mom’s shoulder.

“We never know when they’ll start their own different lives with others.” She said worriedly. Yongguk's mother looked down sadly and stared at them.

 

“Hey, you’re not dry yet!” Jieun yelled loudly with a loud laugh. She was holding a huge blanket, fanning Yongguk with it while he sat by the rock.

He was slightly slouching and was curled in a ball as the cold wind from the blanket blew to him. She used all her might to fan him, causing his hair to fly every time the blanket hovered over his body.

“Yah! Is this really how you dry yourself?” He asked trying to open his eyes while Jieun finally stopped and sighed deeply.

“Oh! My arms hurt so much!” She yelled massaging her own arms and throwing the blanket on the ground. She walked to sit beside Yongguk and breathed heavily.

“You didn’t answer my question.” He said in irritation. Jieun stared at him with wide eyes and shook her head no. She chuckled keeping her eyes on him, watching his expression transform from laughter to anger.

“Song. Ji. Eun.” He said angrily with narrowed eyes. She softened her look, turning into fear and stood up slowly, backing away from him. “Y-y-y-yes?” She asked gulping loudly.

“If I get sick tomorrow… you’re going to be next.” He threatened her. She broke a sarcastic and nervous laugh, looking around.

“Yeah? How?” She asked looking up and sticking her chest out to look tough, tightening her fists.

“I don’t know? Maybe I should every single piece of food you eat?” He asked with a shrug, looking up while she crossed her arms and chuckled. He stared at her and squinted his eyes a bit, glowering at her evilly.

“Or maybe a kiss can easily spread the germs?” He said carelessly. She instantly stopped chuckling and widened her eyes.

He scoffed and walked by her, forcing his shoulder to punch hers, making her body move a bit. She remained still with shock while he walked towards his tent, fixing his wet hair.

 

“K-k-kiss?” She whispered to herself then touched her lips. She chuckled silently to herself. “He must be kidding right?” She said to herself. She quickly turned to stare at him while he continued walking.

“You can’t take my LIPGINITY!” She screamed loudly with a scowl on her face, making the elders turn to look at her.

Yongguk broke a chuckle and raised his eyebrows at her with a crooked smile. She looked at everyone’s gaze at her and turned around, corner eying the water.

               

 

The next morning, Yongguk's parents woke up to fix the campfire that was now dying while Jieun's parents snored loudly in their tents.

Jieun tossed and turned in her tent, shivering in the cold. She pulled her double blanket over her and closed her eyes tight, trying to take the snoring out of her mind.

               

“Why hasn’t she text me back at all?” Yongguk said silently to himself, texting Pucca.

 

“I hope you’re okay Pucca. I haven’t heard from you all day :( Good morning.”

 

He sighed deeply and sat up in his tent in a deep yawn. He coughed and sniffed deeply covering his forehead and squinting his eyes.

He took a deep breath and held his hand to his chest. He narrowed his eyes, staring at the door of his tent, as if he could see through to Jieun's tent.

“Song. Ji. Eun.” He whispered madly to himself with a shiver and cough.

 

Jieun ped the opening to her tent and yawned with her eyes closed. She took a step out of her tent and instantly stopped when she realized Yongguk standing in front of her tent.

He had his hands in his sweats and his hoodie was far over his head. Jieun stared at him awkwardly and zipped her tent back up after stepping out then stood in front of him. She zipped her sweater and shivered staring at him.

“What?” She asked carrying her bag in her hand and walking towards the lake. She glanced at him oddly and shrugged walking a bit faster.

“Hey Song Jieun.” He said while she continued walking, ignoring him. He walked towards her with an angry hiss and narrowed his eyes, taking his hands out of his pockets. She turned to look at him and walked a bit faster to escape him.

“What’re you doing?!” She yelled sprinting towards the parents as fast as she could. Yongguk decreased his speed watching her hide behind his parents.

 

“What’s wrong son?” His father asked glancing at Jieun, who was hiding behind his back with an odd expression. Yongguk took his hood off and stared at Jieun, without speaking.

Jieun's eyes widened at his horrible, booger-stuffed face. Yongguk's face was pale with chapped lips and his eyes were puffy.

“Omo! Are you okay?! What happened to you?!” Jieun's mother yelled then she and Yongguk's mother walked towards Yongguk quickly and touched his face.

He gently pushed them away and coughed in his elbow.

“No, I’m fine mom and aunt.” He said with his hand out and a painful look on his face. He glowered at Jieun while she kept her face hidden behind Yongguk's father’s back.

“What’re you doing hiding behind your uncle’s back?!” Her father said angrily staring at her. Jieun nervously chuckled and stood up tall, keeping her eyes on the ground.

“I hope you remember what I said to you last night.” Yongguk said keeping his eyes on her. The parents looked at each other in confusion while Jieun shot a stare at him.

“Are you…talking to me-“

“Of course I’m talking to you!” He yelled powerfully, yet silently. He gently coughed and turned to look at Jieun and his parents. He looked down to the ground respectfully and sniffed.

“Sorry about my attitude aunt and uncle, and mom and dad.” He said quickly keeping his glare on the ground. He took a quick glare at Jieun before walking back into his tent.

 

“What did you do to poor Yongguk, huh?!” Her mother yelled slapping her arm, making her wince in pain. “Nothing mom!” She yelled covering her arm with an aching expression.

“He’s just crazy! He was probably just crying all night last night.” She added with a whisper and looking down guiltily.

               

 

Yongguk's mother ped the door to his tent and gasped at the view.

Yongguk was lying on his stomach all curled up and he was sweating heavily with blankets over his body. His face was winced with pain and he was breathing heavily. He gently opened his eyes and cracked a smile, noticing his mother staring at him.

“Oh…mom.” He said trying to sit up. “No, lay down Yongguk dear. What happened?” She asked kneeling down to run her fingers through his hair. He lightly chuckled and shook his head. “It’s nothing mom. I just-“

“Aunt…I’ll take care of him.” Jieun said standing behind Yongguk's mother with pouted lips, looking down to the ground.

Yongguk took one stare at her and laid back down, looking up to the ceiling of the tent.

“You need to learn how to treat our Yongguk better Jieun. I’m so tired of your naïve personality.” Her mother said angrily while Yongguk's mother pushed her away.

“Please be careful next time you guys.” His mother said worriedly. Jieun lightly smiled and watched them leave.

Before she could even turn to look at Yongguk, she heard the tent zipping back up quickly.

“Hey! Bang Yongguk!” She yelled trying to stop the zipping, hitting the tent. “Go away!” He yelled weakly from inside the tent.

“You’re just going to make things worse.” He said tiredly. Jieun looked around and bit her lips.

“Okay…okay. I just wanted to say sorry but I guess not.” She said looking around and waiting for his response. “Your ‘sorries’ are useless.” He said with a scoff, making her glare through the tent.

“YAH! I really was just trying to help dry you off last night! Who told you to fall for my plans?” She said angrily staring at the tent. He quickly ped it and sat up tiredly.

“Plan? You call that a plan? It was uncalled for! It was probably one of your stupid last minute ideas!” He yelled. She crouched down and nodded.

“Okay. You’re right.” She said brushing her nose and staring at him. “I’ll make it up to you.” She said with wide eyes, agreeing with herself. He stared at her strangely and shrugged his shoulders.

“How?” He asked looking around oddly. She bit her lips and looked down, trying to think of a solution. She widened her eyes and looked at him.

“Pass it to me.” She said staring at him while he gave her an awkward glare. “Pass what to you?” He questioned peculiarly.

“Your sickness stupid!!!” She screamed in annoyance. He chuckled and looked down, grabbing a napkin to wipe the sweat off his forehead. “You really want to lose your ‘lipginity’?”

He laughed a little while she shook her head and scoffed. She took a lollipop out of her pocket and unwrapped it, peeling a piece of hair attached to it off.

"Oops..." she said with a smile, looking at Yongguk again.

“What is that?!” He yelled in disgust. She stared at him and held it out to him with a chuckle. “ it.” She said with an innocent smile. He scoffed and stared at the sticky lollipop with a gross look.

“Yah, how old is that lollipop? Are you trying to make my sickness worse by making me it, huh?” He asked lying back down on the bed and covering his head with his blankets.

Jieun glared at him and took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down. It was no use. She threw the lollipop down and sighed deeply.

“Fine! Kiss then!” She yelled staring at him with narrowed eyes. He took his covers off his face and stared at her with wide eyes. She kept her eyes on him and sat motionless outside of the tent.

“Really?” He asked tilting his head and looking outside the tent. Their parents were by the fireplace cooking a pot of rice and some food. She glared at him and shrugged.

“If it makes you any happier.” She said carelessly puckering her lips up and leaning in towards him.

He stared at her, squinting his eyes as she neared him. He gulped and stared at her chapped lips while he balanced his whole upper body by his elbows.

 

A/N: Omo, I had to stop there… dugun dugun dugun, my heart’s beating fast writing this!!!!

Omo, ottheokae?? Should the kiss happen??? Aish... so intense, isn't it??

I think this is my first REAL cliffhanger.... kekeke... muahahaha... author is feeling evil... >;D

Don't worry! Next chapter will be up soon!!! Kekekeke... patience otay?? Kekeke XD