Ashamed

This Is What We Are: Frenemies

Yongguk gently leaned his face towards hers, catching a glimpse of a dried green eye booger dangling by the corner of her eyes.

He lifted his hand and pushed his palm on her forehead, forcing her to fall back on the dirt outside the tent. 

“You’re disgusting Song Jieun.” He said with a sour face, zipping his tent up as quick as possible. “What?! I thought you wanted this?!” She screamed getting up from the ground and brushing the dirt off her clothes.

“Go wash your face!” He yelled angrily. She tilted her head and reached her hand up to rub her eyes, feeling the crispy eye boogers slide from her hand and falling to the ground.

She had on a disgusted expression and shrugged, grabbing her toothbrush and walking towards the lake with a chuckle.

“At least you didn’t lose your lipginity to an idiot Jieun. You are pronounced: safe.” She said to herself with a chuckle. She sighed standing in front of the lake and stretching deeply with a smile.

 

Yongguk laid in his tent, scrolling through his texts and sighing deeply.

“Don’t text her too much Yongguk. Or she’ll definitely think you’re clingy.” He said to himself then took a deep breath.

He shut his phone off and stuffed it under his pillow. He drank his water bottle by the corner of his tent and grunted, trying to sit up.

 

“Song Jieun!” Yongguk's mother yelled loudly. “Hurry and come help your mother and I cook!” She yelled loudly. “Yes aunt!” Jieun yelled loudly.

Yongguk chuckled with a scoff hearing Jieun's footsteps approaching her tent, breathing heavily. He scrunched his face up and scratched his neck thinking of her eye boogers earlier.

“Gross.” He said to himself with a shudder.

 

“I’ll marinate the meat mom!” Jieun yelled with a chuckle. Yongguk gasped and sat up straighter, tilting his head.

“I’m most definitely not going to eat today.” He said looking straight ahead and keeping a disgusted expression on his face. “I’d rather starve to death.” He said with repugnance and a shiver.

 

Jieun reached the campfire and quickly pulled her sleeves up.

“This fire smell is so bad.” She whined with a scrunched up expression on her face while dipping her hands into the marinated meat and stirring.

“You have no idea how hard it is to find wood around here Jieun.” Yongguk's father said with a chuckle.

“That’s why we grab whatever wood we first lay our eyes on.” Her father said heating himself up on the campfire. Jieun chuckled and nodded. “I see-“

“I don’t think Jieun learned anything in our nature class in grade school at all uncle.” Yongguk said walking behind them with a chuckle. He had on more clothing and was still sick, yet his color face was coming back to normal.

“Yes I did!” Jieun scoffed, stirring the meat some more.  Yongguk shuddered, seeing her hand stir the food all over the pot.

“Are you feeling better?” Jieun's mother asked smiling at him while taking out some more ingredients in a box. “Yes aunt. I’m still kind of dizzy but I’ll live.” He said with a smile then glared at Jieun.

“Just so you know, mom, dad, aunt, and uncle, I was the TOP student in my nature class.” Jieun said with an index finger up and a huge smile on her face.

“Oh yeah?” Yongguk asked crossing his arms and chuckling. “Want to explain that fire you caused last time then?” He asked with a laugh while their parents turned their attentions to her.

“Fire? What fire?” Jieun's mother asked staring at Jieun with huge eyes. “When did you cause trouble again?” Her father asked with a glare.

“I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.” Yongguk's father said with a light chuckle, poking the dead fire with a stick nearby.

“What happened?” His mother asked with a chuckle. Jieun looked down and gazed at Yongguk from the corner of her eyes.

“If you’re not going to tell them then I will.” He said with a chuckle. He lowered his hood and gently coughed while Jieun kept her head low.

 

STORY TIME:::::::

 “Hurry! Hurry and get into your groups!” Mr. Eun, their nature teacher at the moment, yelled.

 

They were at a field trip for school in the wilderness, trying to learn what they should do if they were ever lost in an island alone.

At this time, Jieun and Yongguk were both 15 years old. Jieun quickly scrambled to stand beside Yongguk with a glare.

 

“Ugh! Why am I in the same group as you?!” She yelled with a disgusted expression on her face. “No! You’re in group number 4 stupid!” Yongguk yelled pushing her away.

“Yea Jieun, why’re you always trying to follow Yongguk hyung around?” Daehyun asked with a scowl on his face.

“Song Jieun! You’re in group number 4! What’re you doing over there?” Mr. Eun asked. Jieun looked down nervously.

“Yeah Song cheon-cheon…” Yongguk said then chuckled quietly. She glared at him and gave him a shove before running to her group.

 

They all stood with their groups while Mr. Eun spoke loudly in the center.

“Today you are all going to try to make fire in your groups. The group who makes the cleanest and clearest, yet biggest fire wins.” He said with a smile while the kids cheered.

“I will be of assistance if any group needs help! And be careful!” He yelled then the kids quickly got to work.

 

“Hey! Hey! I have an idea!” Jieun yelled while she and Yongguk both gave each other angry glares.

 

“We have to win this.” Yongguk said in his team, holding a couple of sticks in his tiny hands. “No matter what.” He added with a serious expression.

“Why?” Jongup asked curiously. Yongguk clicked his tongue and gazed at him. “Because I said so!” He yelled with narrowed eyes.

               

Jieun grabbed the whole can of oil beside their equipment and pushed her group back.

“This fire is too little.” She said with a smile. “I know how to make it bigger.” She said holding the oil can in her hand.

“Jieun-ah… I don’t think that’s safe.” Hyosung said with fear all over her face. “Yes, I agree with Hyosung unnie. You shouldn’t do it or I’m going to call the teacher over here!” Zinger yelled.

“We’re going to win no matter what!” Jieun yelled throwing the whole can of oil into the fire along with the can itself.

Their area suddenly up roared with flames as Jieun shielded her eyes and face from the flames with a loud scream. All the students backed up as far as they could, covering themselves.

END OF STORY

 

“And this was the day poor Song Cheon-cheon lost all her facial hair.” Yongguk said with a mocking laugh, staring at her.

“Her mustache, eyebrows, eye lashes, and her widow’s peak!” He yelled with laughter.

Jieun outlined her eyebrows and glared at him. She took one quick look at her parents and walked quickly away, covering her face.

Yongguk watched as she walked away and lightly chuckled. His parents stared at him in anger as he closed his mouth and looked down guiltily.

“You guys wanted to know.” He asked confused, scratching his neck. Jieun's mother sighed looking at her husband with sadness.

               

Yongguk and Jieun's father sat afar from the campfire while the rest ate slowly in awkwardness.

“Jieunie... never told us about this incident.” He said with a slight chuckle, looking to the ground and getting comfortable.

“Why?” Yongguk asked politely with confusion. “That day when she… like you said earlier ‘lost all her facial hair’ she never wanted to go back to school.” He said with a glance at Yongguk.

“It was just an accident.” Yongguk said with a chuckle. “Every kid goes through these ups and downs more than once in their lifetime.” He added looking down to the ground.

“That’s right. But you know Jieun. She doesn’t think of herself as ordinary kid. She thinks too highly of herself.” He said with a chuckle while Yongguk nodded, agreeing with him.

“She said she lost her pride that day and that she couldn’t face any of her peers and teacher…especially you.” He said staring at Jieun who was far away from them.

“Why me?” Yongguk asked peculiarly. Jieun's father chuckled and stood up from sitting while Yongguk followed his actions.

“You’re her greatest rival Yongguk. We all understand and see that.” He said with a snicker and sighed before standing up.

“Every time Jieun fails in front of you, she dies a little.” He said glancing at Yongguk and then slightly smiled and walked back to the campsite.

Yongguk stared at him in confusion and rubbed his neck.

“Dies a little?” He repeated oddly. He looked down and then back up to the campfire to see if Jieun was still around.

He stood up and fixed his sweater, coughing a little to clear his throat. He glanced at Jieun's father who was now joining his parents eating. He walked towards Jieun's tent and gently kicked it from the side.

 

“Maybe we should go fishing tomorrow morning?” Yongguk's father asked through a chuckle from afar while the rest agreed. Yongguk stared at him and shook his head.

“We’ll see what happens tomorrow.” Jieun's father said happily, glancing at Yongguk who quickly looked away and crouched down a bit to Jieun's door of her tent.

 

“Yah… Song Cheon-cheon?” He said through a whisper, looking down to the ground.

There was a silence as he sighed deeply and placed his hand on the zipper, and then froze.

“Hey, if you’re not going to answer me then I’m going to open this myself.” He said threateningly, but there was another silence. He breathed deeply in irritation and ped it.

“Hey! I’m sorry that I-“

He stopped speaking when he realized Jieun was nowhere in sight in the tent.

“Cheon-cheon?” He asked looking around in confusion.

 

“So what do you guys think will happen to the kids in the near future?” Jieun's mother asked throwing a couple of bundle of sticks in the fire.

“Who knows? Kids these days are hard to read.” Yongguk's mother said poking at the fire with a stick. “Especially our kids.” She added with a laugh.

“Maybe they’ll soon progress in their relationship.” Jieun's father said with a slight bit of hope. “It’s been over 20 years honey.” Jieun's mother said sadly.

“It doesn’t matter how long it has been. Things can still change…you never know.” Yongguk's father said with a smile on his face.

“I’m still planning on engaging our Yongguk to your beautiful Jieun though.” He said with a chuckle. “No matter what…” He added. “Deal.” Jieun's father said with a chuckle.

 

“Cheon-cheon!! Where are you?!” Yongguk yelled walking into a path into the forest with a flashlight.

“Please don’t make me look for you!” He yelled turning back to see the parents chuckling with laughter from afar.

He winced at the darkness of the forest and took a deep breath, hyperventilating. He gripped his flashlight and crouched a little lower trying to see from afar until he spotted a little light from the corner of his eyes. He stood up a bit taller and relaxed his shoulders.

               

Jieun sat behind a bush by the lake with her phone in her hand, flashing the light of her phone on little guppies swimming in the water. She smiled and tapped her phone to keep the light on.

“Go…go home!” Jieun whispered with a scowl to the guppies. “Your mom and dad must be looking for you! If you don’t go now you might just get eaten in the morning when those filthy hunters come looking for food.” She whispered with a sad face.

“I’d never fish in my whole life so you don’t have to worry about me eating-“

“Hey Song Jieun. You must’ve really lost it.” Yongguk said from behind her. She turned quickly to look at him who flashed his flashlight straight into her face. She looked away quickly and pointed her phone back at the guppies.

“Yah! You made my guppies leave!” She yelled with a whisper. Yongguk scoffed and chuckled, walking towards her slowly.

“Weren’t you telling them to leave just now anyways?” He asked peculiarly. “As if they understood a word you were saying.” He added sitting down by her, sharing the same rock. She glowered at him and scooted over in an instance, feeling his touch.

“Go find your own rock! And why are you eavesdropping on me?” She asked staring at him coldly. He gazed at her and remained still with a shrug.

“Wasn’t my fault that you were seen from a mile away by your bright phone ‘leading’ the way for guppies.” He said carelessly not giving her a glance at all. She hissed at him and sighed deeply.

“What’re you doing here?” She asked questioningly. “Trying to humiliate me some more? Because you did great earlier.” She said angrily then quickly walked away back to the campsite.

He endured her words and remained motionless. He softly scoffed and watched her back while she continued walking with her head down.

He stood up and stretched his arms looking around with a loud yawn until something caught his eyes on the ground.

He tilted his head and spotted her phone still on the rock. He grabbed it and stared at it back and forth.

“Jieun's phone?” He said confused. He snickered and his face brightened with a smirk.

“Let’s see what she’s been up to lately.” He said with squinted eyes then opened up her phone, viewing the messages.

“Wow! 1015 inbox messages and 957 outbox?!” He yelled silently with wide eyes. “Who has she been texting?!” He said in shock while glancing at Jieun, who slipped into her tent.

His thumb ran over the inbox messages to open up the folder to view the contact person but the phone suddenly went black.

“Damn!” He hissed in anger. “She must’ve used up all her phone battery from the light for those… useless guppies.” He said angrily glaring at the water.

 

A/N: Oh my, Yongguk almost found out EVERYTHING!! Thanks goodness right???

Or should he just find out already??????? Haha… it'll come soon!!!! Don't worry!! XD

Please comment and let me know how it’s going okay?? Thanks and much love!!!