Sore Loser

I Lied That!

 

You were practising your rapping when Kwangsoo pulled you out of the room.

“What is it oppa?”

“You’re going back to Australia just like you wished.”

“What? Why are you speaking in traditional Korean?”

“I’ve been watching Moon-Sun,” Kwangsoo smiled.

“So I’m going back to Australia to go to school… fun.”

“Well your contract states that we can’t interfere with your studies so… you’re on a plane to Australia tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? Don’t I ever have a heads up?”

“You did. You have exactly 12 hours.”

You narrowed your eyes at Kwangsoo in a playful manner.

“Sleep well tonight because don’t you have that maths competition?”

You nodded your head in an impressed manner, “You remembered.”

“Of course I do. I’m your manager. It’s kind of my job to know everything.”

You smiled, “I’ll get to see Fiona. It’s been so long.”

“Ahh… your friend who moves from one crush to another.”

Your eyes widened, “How did you know?”

“I check your chat log, remember?”

“Right. You check everything.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~In Australia~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~Your POV~~~~~

 “Oppa, did you have to come to Australia with me?”

Kwangsoo nodded his head, “Of course. I’m your manager. I’ll be travelling with you to every country you go to from now on.”

I sighed, “Did you have to follow all the way to school?”

I crossed my arms as I leaned against the gates of my school.

“Oh come on, I have to make sure you get here safely.”

I raised my eyebrows, “Are you serious? Are you- are you serious?”

I saw Mitchell coming towards the school and I cleared my throat as I changed to speaking English.

“Well Kwangsoo, this is my school. This is ambition right? To be a high school teacher.”

Kwangsoo’s mouth gaped as he tried to conjure up some English. I chuckled as I continued speaking in English.

Mitchell approached me, “Oh thank goodness, you’re here!”

I nodded my head, “What? Were you worried that I wouldn’t show up today?”

Mitchell took in a deep breath before diverting his attention to Kwangsoo.

“Who’s he?”

“He’s an exchange student from Korea.”

“Student? The guy looks 30.”

I laughed, “Yeah… time is not his friend.”

I glanced over at Kwangsoo before waving to him, “Oppa, anneong! I’m going to go into school now.”

I turned around and saw Kwangsoo walk back to my mum’s car.

“Hey, I didn’t know that you speak Korean.”

“Eh? Oh, I learnt it as part of the exchange program.”

“That’s cool. Speaking of Korea, your friend went off to Korea. Apparently she made it into some big company over there or something?”

She did? Why didn’t she tell me?

“How do you know Mr I-always-have-my-head-in-books?”

“Well I’m not a very social person but she was literally advertising. She was one billboard and flyer away from telling the whole suburb.”

“Really? Do you know what company she got in to?”

Mitchell shrugged, “How would I know? Aren’t you her best friend?”

True. Aren’t I best friend?

“I’ve been holidays. Couldn’t reach me even if she wanted to. Maybe she wanted to tell me in person.”

“Well you’ll just have to do it after the maths competition. Let’s just make our way to the hall.”

We stepped into the hall and I craned my neck to look for Fiona and even her ‘teammates’ to see if she was around them.

“Jenny!”

I turned around to see Fiona pulling away from a swarm of people, approaching me. I smiled but it didn’t feel genuine so I resorted to looking down at the ground.

“Hey Jenny, you’re back!”

Fiona pulled me in for a hug and usually I’m extremely awkward with hugs but this… this was so… uncomfortable. I knew something was up.

“Jenny, I have some many things I want to tell you!”

“Yeah? Like your acceptance into YG?”

Fiona’s eyes shifted to the crowd before moving back to me.

“Let’s not speak right now. I haven’t seen you in forever! Let’s just go somewhere and talk.”

Fiona grabbed my hand and I felt a lump on her palm. I didn’t want to make a scene so slid my hand away from hers slowly to check the lump. It was as if she had cut her hand and there was a scar there.

I smiled, “Don’t worry about; we’ll talk after the competition. My teammates are probably concerned about me. Especially with me being absent and all.”

Fiona grabbed both my hands, “I am so excited right now, and I just want to tell you everything!”

I pursed my lips together and walked away from Fiona. Is she cutting herself? I’m pretty sure that lump was a scar. I tilted my head to the side as I kept asking myself what was going on with Fiona.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“May team JMJ will now go up against team John.”

Team John? Are you serious? How self centred is he? Or was no one creative enough to think of something, anything better?

As I was about to walk out onto the stage, Mitchell grabbed my wrist, “Jenny, let’s get our plan straight. For the hard questions, if it is truly difficult then you wait 10 to 20 seconds before pressing the buzzer. Otherwise, you just press the buzzer really quickly.”

I nodded my head to reassure Mitchell, “Don’t worry. We’ll be fine.”

John shot me a worried look, “Aren’t you a bit too carefree for us to be… ‘fine’?”

“Do you guys believe in magic?”

Okay, I know what I’m going to do is technically cheating but come on; no one wants the honour of winning than these two. Plus, I don’t think they’re interested in the gift cards. I can do this right?

“I believe in miracles.”

I took this as a signal to go. This lie is going to happen.

“We are going to win. You can say… we’ve already won,” I nudged Mitchell as we made our ways to our chairs.

I looked up and saw that Fiona was the only girl on her team. Are you kidding me? What happened to ‘I don’t like working with boys.’? Really Fiona?

No Jenny, let’s just concentrate on the competition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the competition I kept noticing that Fiona kept staring at the trophies and the gift cards. Like her eyes were always there.

~~~~~End of your POV~~~~~

~~~~~Fiona’s POV~~~~~

“Congratulations team JMJ with a total of 275 points!”

“Yeah!” Jenny cheered as she grabbed the trophy.

What the hell is going on? Why didn’t my spell work? I picked up my phone and dialled the witch.

---------Phone call----------

Witch: Hello?
Me: Hello? Is that all you can say to me?
Witch: What is it?
Me: My spells don’t work!
Witch: *sighs* What was it?
Me: I said I would keep my eyes on the prize.
Witch: *scoff* Sweetie, black magic doesn’t work that way. What do you think we are? Fairies? You’ve got to be lit-er-al with your spells. Don’t say ‘keep my eyes on the prize’. What are you? A Disney character?
Me: Are you joking with me right now?
Witch: I’m not. You’re just a rookie. You need to step up your game, sweet cheeks.
Me: Don’t sweet cheeks me. You are pathetic. My soul is yours and this magic only lasts six months and I have to literal with everything I say?
Witch: Not my problem, should have read the fine print.

------------End of phone call----------

I hung up in a fit of rage. Read the fine print? Who does she think she’s messing with?

“Fiona, Fiona. What happened?” John asked me in a condescending tone.

I narrowed my eyes at him, “The only reason you asked me to be on your team is because I beat your sorry in exams.”

I crossed my arms and walked passed Jenny. I will beat you next time Jenny and the time after that and the time after that. Then again, I am in YG Entertainment, I obviously have more talent than you do.

~~~~~End of Fiona’s POV~~~~~