Chapter 77

What if we are not...

Yuri stops the car in front of KW Hotel. She puts the car on the parking position. Yulsic turn to Fany who is sitting at the back seat.

 

“Come with me?” Fany asks Yuri

 

“I send you up to the door of his office but I’m not going inside” Yuri replies.

 

“Why?” Fany pouts.

 

“Because I’m his boss. He will be awkward and will not be able to talk frankly with my presence.” Yuri answers.

 

“If he has nothing to hide, he should be able to talk about everything in front of anyone” Fany replies

 

“Anyo Fany ah, what Yuri means is he would probably restraint himself and not talk freely toward you.” Jessica says.

 

“That is his problem” Fany is being stubborn.

 

“Okay, then let’s go home!” She turns around, puts the seat bell back. “You don’t need to meet him if you don’t want to” Yuri says

 

“BUT what about the ticket?” Fany asks

 

“That is your problems not mine.” Yuri answers and about the unlock the car from the parking position

 

“CHAPKAMAN!!” Fany puts hand on Yuri’s arm.

 

Yuri puts foot on the accelerator.

 

“WAIT!!!!! I’m going!!” Fany rapidly unlock her seat bell. She jumps out of the car and slams the door.

 

Yuri rolls down the window and says “Bye bye!” to Fany then drive off. 

 

“YA! KWON YURI” Fany yells. “YOU LIAR!! YOU SAID YOU WILL WAIT FOR ME FROM OUTSIDE!!!” Fany steps on her feet. “GRrrr”

 

Now Fany is alone, she takes a deep breath. She looks up at the windows of her dad’s office and says “Huh I’m not afraid of you” before stepping in the hotel. She presses elevator button, it was ready so Fany doesn’t have to wait. She goes straight to the floor 26th. The elevator opens, in front of Fany is a plate with the indication of the personnel, Human Resources room 2600, Supervisor Park room 2605, Assistant Lee room 2606, Chief house keeper room 2608 etc. Fany reads Manager Hwang room 2610. It’s the first time she visits her father office so the indication was very helpful.

 

Fany follows the arrows and goes to room 2610. She stops at the door because she is still confused in her mind. She is going to meet someone she has hated for a long time, since she was kid. But if she speaks to him the situation may change; she doesn’t want to give him the opportunity to clear off his fault. It was because of him her mother died. She tells her self that she will only give him the ticket and run off. That’s it. Fany nods and makes a fist with her hand to gain courage.

 

Before Fany could knock, the door is opened by Manager Hwang from inside. “Fany” He calls. He is surprised to see Fany standing in front of his office. He is happy to see her. It’s his first time seeing Fany coming to him “You want to talk to me?” He asks but Fany could reply yes or no. “Come in” He grabs Fany’s forearm and pulls her in side. “Take a seat. I’ll call Yuri and let her know that I cannot meet with her” Mr. Hwang says and rapidly read the phone on his desk.

 

“No need. The person she wanted you to meet was me”

 

He freezes. He feels touched because daughter has finally wants to see him. He puts down the phone. He nods and joins Fany to seat at the tea table. He waits patiently for Fany to speak.

 

Fany seats down but she avoids looking at him directly. It will make her angrier because she would think about her mother death again. 

 

“Do you want something to drink? Water? Tea? Coffee?” Mr. Hwang says to break the silence.

 

Fany shakes head. She plays with her watch because she is nervous.

 

“You still love watch?” Mr. Hwang asks. “When you were little, you asked me to buy you a watch because you saw me wearing it. Even if you didn’t know how to read it you still want to put it on. Everything I did, you wanted to do the same.” He is referring to the moment before Mrs. Hwang passed away. Fany was really attached to her father when she a little baby. She followed him day and night.

 

“The past is the past” Fany says. “Everything has changed now”

 

Mr. Hwang nods and says. “You are right.” He sighs. “Sometime I wish I could go back in time; even just for a second so I could have saved your mom”

 

Fany frowns. She looks up because it’s very absurd for her to hear that her father wants to save her mom. “You killed her. It was because of you that she died. How can you say those words?”

 

“I know you will not listen to my explanation but it was an accident”

 

“Aunty told me that you were cheating on Mom. She ran off and got hit by a car”

 

Mr. Hwang shakes head. “It rained really hard that day. A female co-worker and I just finished our business dinner. We got wet because of the sudden rain. She lived far from Seoul, so I brought her to our home to dry her hair and lent her the umbrella. Your mom got back home, she misunderstood and run off. I chased after her but I was not fast enough.”

 

“Why should I believe you? You could say anything to make me forgive you.”

 

“Simply because it’s the truth.”

 

“Why Aunty had to fake the story and put the fault on you?”

 

“It’s a long story but to make it short; your aunt doesn’t like to see her sister get married with a poor guy like me. You must know that you mother’s father is a wealthy man. He left the whole heritage to your mom and aunt before he passed away. Your aunt didn’t trust me. She thought I only want to take advantage of your mom. If I really cheat on your mom and caused her death, I could have taken her money and got married with other woman.” Mr. Hwang explains. He stands up and goes to take something from the drawer of his desk.

 

“When your mother died, all the insurance and assets were left for me. I’ve kept this for 20 years; it should be time to give it back to you now.” Mr. Hwang hands a little booklet to Fany.

 

Bank of Korea. Fany reads. She opens the book and sees a big amount under her name and lots of earning from interest. “Why?” Fany asks. “Why did you do that?” She doesn’t understand why her father opened a saving account and transferred all the money to her. 

 

“Because it’s your” Mr. Hwang answers. “I could never replace your mother’s love. This is the only thing that remains you of her. I know your mother death hurt you a lot-”

 

Fany suddenly runs off the office. She is crying because she misunderstood her dad.

 

“Fany ah!” Mr. Hwang runs after Fany.

 

Fany uses the exit stairways because the elevator doesn’t open. She doesn’t want to let Mr. Hwang see her crying. She speeds up and runs down faster.

 

Mr. Hwang is trying his best to follow Fanny. He jumps off some stairs to make it faster.

 

Fany view is blurred by her tears. She wipes them off. She misses a step and falls off.

 

“FANY AH!!” Mr. Hwang catches up. “Are you ok?” He checks Fany’s arms and legs to see if there is any injury. His eyes meet with Fany. He feels hurt to see Fany cry. He holds Fany’s head on his chest. “Kwuenchana?” He asks.

 

Fany could stop her crying. “Appa mianhae”

 

Mr. Hwang pulls out to look at Fany. “What did you just called me?”

 

“I’m really sorry” Fany leans on her dad again.

 

Mr. Hwang is tearing off joy. “It’s okay. Fany ah. My little mushroom” He presses his head on Fany’s and holding her tightly.