Chapter 69

What if we are not...

“Ommonim~ welcome to my house! Chajjang!” Fany spreads arms to show her home.

 

Tae’s mom is impressed because the house looks very clean and well organized.

 

“Ommonim, this is the living room, on your left is the kitchen, over there is the bathroom, then my bedroom. Please take a sit. I’ll put the foods in the fridge and install you stuffs in the second bedroom.”

 

“It’s ok let me do it. You have carried my luggage for a while already”

 

“Anyo, anyo ommonim. Please let me help you. It’s my pleasure. Please just take a sit a rest a little bit you must be tired for travelling all the day. I’ll be with you shortly” Fany smiles very sweetly to Tae’s mom. She put the foods on the dinner table and goes put Mrs. Kim luggage in the guest room.

 

Tae’s mom sit down on the salon. She carefully takes a look around the house. Everything looks so neat and clean. She wipes the salon table with her finger for testing if there is any dust.

 

“Ommonim do you like to drinking something?” Fany walks out of the bed room and asks. She is acting cute to earn more love. She knees down in front of Mrs. Kim. “I have tea, orange juice, apple juice. But today is very hot. I still have some lime; I can make lemonade for you too.”

 

There is a drink that Mrs. Kim likes to taste but she is hesitated to ask.

 

Fany sees Tae’s mom taste the tongue. Fany guesses Tae’s mom wants something else. “Or if you want something else, there is a corner store not too far from here. Just let me know I’ll go get it for you.”

 

“Aigoo…there is something I really want to try but I don’t know if it’s too much to ask.”

 

Fany nods and smiles very brightly. “Don’t be shy Ommonim, just tell me everything you like”

 

Tae’s mom swallows her saliva. “Aigoo…if you insist then…do you have any beer?”

 

“Neh?” Fany is too surprised.

 

“That is because some of my friends told me I must taste at least a can of beer in Seoul. You know in the country side, we only drink soju. Among the group of friends, I’m the only one who hasn’t tried to drink beer.”

 

“Neh ommonim. I’ll go to the corner store immediately” Fany stands up. “You can watch TV or take a shower while waiting. The clean towels are in the cabinet next to the pharmacy cabinet”

 

“I feel so bad to as you this much”

 

“Anyo anyo ommonim don’t worry. I’m thirty too. It has been a while that I’ve drink beer.”

 

“Then let’s drink together”

 

“NEH! Ommonim” Fany is so happy that she bows at Mrs. Kim and runs out to buy the beers. Drink beers with Tae’s mom! KYYYYYYAAA! MY FURTURE MOTHER-IN-LAW IS TOO COOL!! Fany thinks.

 

About 25 minutes later, Fany come back home with a bunch of beers. “Ommonim~ I’m back!”

 

Tae’s mom is watching the TV, she immediately runs to help Fany. She is so happy to see the beers. “Omo omo omo you shouldn’t have bought this much. I’ll pay back for you”

 

“Anyo~This doesn’t cost much. Don’t worry Ommonim it’s my pay day.” Fany winks. “I have bought some snacks too. Fany shows the dried squires.

 

“Aigoo! You really!” Tae’s mom couldn’t wait anymore.

 

As soon as they reach the salon table, Fany opens the first can of beer and gives Mrs. Kim.  

 

“Thank you!” Mrs. Kim says in English.

 

“You are welcome.” Fany smiles because Mrs. Kim sounds like Tae.

 

Tae’s mom takes a sip “Ahhhh! It’s show refreshing!”

 

“You know English too Ommonim?”

 

“It’s the only two word that know” Tae’s mom smiles. “I learn it from Tae; she often uses it when we talk over the phone. Here drink with me too. Don’t let me drink alone” Tae’s mom offer a can to Fany.

 

“Neh, Thank you Ommonim” Fany happily says. Fany feels so special when talking with Tae’s mom. She thought Tae’s parents should be very serious and strict but Mrs. Kim is so friendly.

 

“Young lady, your dad is not living with you?” Mrs. Kim asks

 

“Neh. He lives at the hotel.”

 

“But you have two bedrooms. You saved it for him right?”

 

“Anyo ommonim. This house was originally bought by him. He moved to the hotel because he knows I don’t like to be with him”

 

For Mrs. Kim Fany’s dad must love his daughter very much to leave the entire house for Fany and scarify himself to leave in the hotel. “Why is it like that? What make you dislike him?” Mrs. Kim wants to know more about Fany and her father relation.

 

“He cheated and caused the death of my mother when I was three years old.”

 

“How can you know if it was his fault if you were only three at that time?”

 

“Well my aunt told me that my mom came back home and discovered my dad with another woman. She fought with my dad and ran out of the house and got a car accident because of that”

 

“Did your aunt witnesses the whole thing?”

 

Fany cannot answer because she doesn’t know if her aunt really was present when her parents fought.

 

“How come she knows every single detail of the story? Think about it, if your mom was death, how come you aunt knew that you mom got back home and found your dad with another women”

 

Fany starts to doubt because hat day Fany’s aunt had to pick up Fany at the day care. It’s impossible that her aunt witnessed the whole scene like Mrs. Kim says.  

 

“But why should my aunt lie to me? Maybe my mom told her before passing away?”

 

“Maybe but what if your aunt didn’t like you dad? Tae’s father and I love each other very much but both of our family didn’t agree with our relation because I supposed to get married with another person. So my mom made up lot of bad story about Tae’s father in order to separate us. But no matter what happened we got married, because we trust and truthfully love each other. With the time our parents finally understood us. They started to accept us when Tae was born. She was so adorable that ours parents wanted to see her every day. What I’m trying to say is if your aunt was not in the good term with your father, she would put the entire fault on his side. It’s not fair you should at least let you father explain for once and decide if it’s worth to hate him or not.”

 

Fany frowns because she has hated her father for too long. It’s hard to changer her feeling. But what Mrs. Kim says make sense too. If she doesn't take Mrs. Kim's advice it's like loosing the mother-in-law's love.