chapter 21

What if we are not...

“Im Yoonaaaaa~” Yuri looks over the windows of Yoona’s house.  The house looks dark, only the salon area is radiated by the sun. “It seems like nobody is home” Yuri talks to herself. She presses her forehead against the glass to look deeper inside. She has to cover the sides of her eyes because the image reflects on the windows is blurring her view. “Im YOOOO NA~” Yuri waits for a response. “Are you home? Yoona ah. It’s me. Yuri.” Yuri hopes to hear an answer but the house is still silence.  

 

She sights. She looks in for one last time before turning away. As she steps down of the stairs she hears some noises. When she stops, the noises also stop. She wonders if she really hears something or her brain is playing tour with her. She decides to step forward but she thinks she is hearing someone sobbing. She stops walking to identify the voice. “Yoona?” Yuri is uncertain.

 

She steps back to the windows “YOONA? ARE YOU HOME? IF YOU ARE INSIDE, ANSWER ME!” The house is too dark to be seen but Yuri thinks she just identify a body sitting near of the main door. Yuri has to look with the corner of her eyes because the angle is too narrow to have a complete view. ”Yoona? Is it you? Answer me please?”

 

Yuri sees Yoona lifting her head up. Yuri frowns as she saw the injury on Yoona’s face. At that moment, Yoona’s sorrow eyes make Yuri’s heart aches even more. “Yoona” Yuri calls with a sorry voice. She shakes her head because she can’t believe how someone can beat Yoona that much.  

 

Yoona body seems to be injured too because Yuri sees the blues on the collar bone. “Yoona ah,  what happened?” Yuri worries. “Please let me in, open the door for me”

 

Yoona shakes her head. “It’s locked from outside”

 

“Do you have the key?”

 

Yoona shakes her head. Yoona’s tears become more visible by the sunlight

 

“What happened?” Yuri asks again.

 

“Yuri ah don’t stay here longer. Go away.” Yoona runs up to Yuri

 

“What happened to you?” Yuri wants to touch Yoona but she is blocked by the glass. “It was your dad right?”

 

Yoona doesn’t answer. She is holding her tears and frustration. “Please go before he returns”

 

“No. I can’t let him this to you anymore! I’ll call the police”

 

“NO YURI AH. PLEASE DON’T”

 

“IT IS NOT THE FRIST TIME HE BEATS YOU. THIS IS TOO MUCH. DOES HE EVEN CARE ABOUT YOU?”

 

“Whatever he has done, he is still my dad.”

 

“This needs to be reported.” Yuri turns her back and looking for her cell.

 

“YURI AH PLEASE DON’T CALL THE POLICE!!!! HE WILL BE LOCKED I JAILD!!! YURI AH” Yoona hits on the windows continuously hoping Yuri will listen to her.

 

At this time, Yoona’s dad appears. “Look, look who is that. Isn’t it the pretty Yuri agasshi” He says with his drunken voice. She makes a silly smile and step up toward Yuri.

 

Yuri fixes him with an anger look. She tells herself I he dare to do anything she will show off her kickboxing skill.

 

“Anyeong ~” He greets

 

Yuri eases back because the smelt of alcohol is too strong.

 

“Ah Yuri agasshi, you come to see Yoona is that right?” He can barely stand balanced. “My daughter is so fortunate to have a friend like you. You must like her a lot do you?” He takes a gulp of drink. “But there is a price if you want see her” He smiles.

 

Yuri sees he looks down to his hand. His thumb is rubbing around his index and major finger.

 

“I just need a little sum”

 

“APPA” Yoona is helpless with her father. “HOW CAN YOU ASK MONEY LIKE THAT!!”

 

“Shouuttttt” He put his finger in front of his mouth to Yoona. ”Yuri is a pretty kind hearth lady. Don’t worry Yoona ah. You have to present her to me sooner. If I know you have such a wealthy friend, I’ll let you go out with her”

 

“Tsskkk” Yuri shakes her head. She can’t believe such person exist in the world. “Is this enough for you?” Yuri shows a bunch of $100,000won to Yoon’s father.

 

Yoona father wants to catch the money right away but Yuri pulls back. ”Open the door first”

 

Yoona’s father nods with a smile. “Alright, alright agasshi”. He gives the key to Yuri. Yuri hands him the money.

 

“Take your time” Yoona’s father say and leaves

 

Yuri goes to unlock the door for Yoona.

 

“Why? WHY? You shouldn’t give the money for him” Yoona says with frustration “I own you too much Yuri ah. Please stop feeding him money. You are making my life looks more miserable”

 

“Don’t say such thing” Yuri wipes Yoona’s tears. “I never ask you to pay it back”

 

“But it’s too much to accept. It’s not the first time he asks money from you.”

 

“Silly. Money is not important. All I want is to see your happy face.” Yuri holds Yoona’s head. “You must be in school at this moment. Not being locked in the house”

 

“Yuri ah how will I be able to pay back all of this to you. Why are you treating me so good?”

 

“Because I can’t stand your dad. I can’t let him lock you in the house to prevent you go to school and using your money for gambling. You are working hard. You deserve the right to have a better life. I don’t want to see your sad face again ok? I don’t talk about paying back to me again. If you want to pay,pay with your smiles”

 

“How much smiles would it be enough compare to all the sums you have handed to my dad up till now?”

 

“You silly” Yuri holds Yoona in her arms. She pats Yoona’s head “A million times a million times a million of a million”

 

“That much? So I have to smile every day until I die”

 

Yuri chuckles. She remains silence for a few seconds “Yoona”

 

“huh?”

 

“I’ll not let you be sad anymore. Believe me, your life will be better from now on.”

 

 

 

After telling the promise Yuri has made few years ago, Yoona learns on Seo’s shoulder. They are sitting on a bench located at the top of a mountain 

 

“Seohyun, I think she has forgotten that promise to me” Yoona closes her eyes.

 

“Yoong”

 

Yoona stay silence

 

“What…” Seo wants to ask what can she does to Yoona in order to forget Yuri.

 

“Don’t say anything Seohyun ah, let me feel this peaceful moment” Yoona says. She wants to rest her mind after remembering all the unhappy moments of her life.

 

Seo holds Yoona’s hand as she understands what Yoona wants.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

The next morning after the club, Kryber finds Yuri sitting in front of their room

 

“Yuri unnie?” Krystal says

 

Yuri makes a big yawn. She stands up “How is Jessica?” She tries to sneak her head in. At that time her eyes meet with Jessica’s. But Jessica moves her regard to another direction.

 

Yuri is worried because she sees Jessica’s swollen eyes. She must have cried a lot last night. Yuri thinks. She is afraid that Jessica would reject if she touch so she quietly follows Jessica to the breakfast at table.

 

Kryber is also following from behind. Krystal is massaging Amber’s shoulders because Amber slept on the hard floor last night.

 

Yuri gently pulls a chair hoping Jessica would sit. But Jessica takes Amber place instead.  

 

Krystal rubbers Ameber’s shoulder and begs Amber to sit with Yuri. Amber pouts but she still does as Krystal wants.

 

Yuri’s mom notice Jessica is sad, and then she looks at Yuri. What happens? What have you done? She eyed to Yuri.

 

Yuri shakes her head. And try to smile to assure her mom.

 

The girls greet the parents before starting to eat.

 

“Jessica” Mr. Jung calls

 

“Nae appa”

 

“We are going to the furniture shop later. Do you want to come with us?”

 

“Nae. A furniture shop?”

 

Mr. Jung nods “We need it for our new house. I just bought a house for us. We will move in next week end.”