chapter 10

What if we are not...

The two girls sit next to each other on the taxi.

 

“Tell me how have you been?” Seo reaches to Yoona’s hand

 

“It’s pretty much the same. I have nothing comparable to your goguma project. Hihihi” Yoona giggles  

 

“Don’t laugh. I already include you in my goguma project”

 

“Well I don’t know if I can make it. You know I have a full time job”

 

“You still work with Yuri?”

 

Yoona simply nodes

 

“How is it between the two of you?” Seo aks

 

“What you do mean by how is it between the two of us ?”

 

Seo hesitates if she should say it out or not “All I can remember is that you guys are pretty good friends”

 

“And we still are”

 

“And she seems to have feeling for you since high school.”

 

Yoona looks out of the windows. Her childhood memories are flashing back in her head.

 

 

 

“Anyeonghaseyo My name is Im Yoona.  Please look after me” She politely bows down.

 

“Seohyun ah is she your new classmate?” Sunny asks

 

“Nae unnie. She just transferred to our school. The teacher asks me to take care of here since the session already started for one week.”

 

“You are the best Seohyun ah. You are your class top elite. That is why the teacher asked you to help her. So just do your best! Okay. Hwaiting!”

 

 “Nae unnie” Seohyun politely replies. “Oh Yoona ah. This is Yuri unnie and this is Sooyoung unnie”

 

“Anyeong Yoona. What a cute kid!”  Yuri greets.

 

“Anyeonghaseyo” Yoona bows.

 

“Are you same age with Seohyun ?” Sooyoung asks

 

“I’m 16 years old. I’m older than her by one year. I missed too many classes last year, so I have to redo all over again?” Yoona explaines

 

“It must be hard for you” Sunny says

 

Yoona just smiles to the girls. She doesn’t want to let everybody know that she stopped school because didn’t have enough of money to pay for the intuition fees. She wanted to study so bad that had to take three or four jobs in order to save money during one year. She luckily succeeded the entrance exam and got accepted in this school.  She still not knows if she would be able to stay for the whole year. It’s a private school, so they may drops her out if ever they discovers that she is coming from a poor family.

 

 

*2 months after her first day at school*

 

“Yoona ah. Can you just lend me some money? Huh?”

 

“Appa! !! Why ? Why you must take them to gambling again? Huh? WHY?!?!”

 

“Aish. Who the hell told you that I’m gambling? That Taecyeon again? I’m not going to gamble. Promise. Huh, just lend me some would you.”

 

“I cannot. I need to pay the school fees. Do you know that the semester is on it haft way already and I not have bought my books yet. I have to borrow them from Seo to do my home works ”

 

 “Then just continue to borrow her books. It’s a waste to buy them now since you can only use for the haft year”

 

“APPAAA!!!”  Yoona is about to cry because she is too frustrated.

 

“I’m really thirsty, just lend me some cash to buy something to drink. I need to drink too you know! Who the hell on this planet doesn’t need to drink? Any human being needs water to survive. Alright give me some”

 

“NO I CANNOT!  Do you understand that my future depends on my studies? Do you want me to be jobless like you? In your head there are only two things: casino and soju! Where am I in your life? Mom told me to take care of you before she died. But why?! Shy must I be the one to take care of you. I’m the one who needs your care. But you have never show your support toward me. WHY? WHY? WHY? Appa I’m really tired of working. At my age people need to go to school. I’m spending my days and nights to work. Working for you to by soju, to gamble!!!! ”

 

“Enough! Just give me the damn money!”

 

Yoona’s father steels the money from Yoona’s hand and run off.

 

She goes after him. No matter what she doesn’t want to lose her hard working money anymore. She tries to fight with him but he is too strong. He pushes her on the ground and ran off again.

 

Yoona is so frustrated that she doesn’t care to stand up. She cries her hearth out.

 

“Yoona?”

 

“Yuri unnie?”

 

“Is he your father? The ajjusshi who ran away just then. I  heard you called him appa”

 

“Nae” Yoona replies since she can’t lie

 

“So you missed school these days because you have been working here?”

 

Yoona doesn’t want to reply because it’s a shame for her.

 

“Come. Stand up” Yuri wipes off Yoona tears.

 

“Where are you bringing me to?”

 

“To school”

 

“No I can’t go”

 

“Don’t worry. Just follow me” Yuri holds Yoona’s hand

 

“No seriously I cannot”

 

“I told you it’s not a matter Yoona ah.  I’ll cover it for you”

 

“I can’t accept it”

 

“Why?”

 

“Just because”

 

“Because of what”

 

“I will not be able to pay it back for you”

 

“Then work for me instead”