chapter 14

What if we are not...

 “Appa! Why? He is totally a jerk! You must have seen him yesterday. He almost ….aish!” Yuri finds it hard to describe the scene again. “He took advantage on Jessica. I can’t stand to work with a jerk like him” Yuri talks on her phone

 

“Yuri ah. How many projects have you handled since the beginning of the year? And how much of them have you been able to deal successfully?  None! Zero! Nothing! I have a hard time to explain with other shareholders of our company. They start to doubt about our ability to grown wealthier.”

 

“But I don’t think I can see his face”

 

“Why can’t you?”

 

“Because I punched him last nigh”

 

“YOU WHAT!?! KWON YURI!!!! HOW DARE YOU! HE CAN SUE YOU FOR THAT!”

 

“I’ll SUE HIM FOR KISSING JESSICA”

 

“HE What?”

 

“He kissed Jessica , he was about to…to…aish” Yuri is completely mad when she rethinks about what happened last night.

 

“And did he?” Yuri’s father somehow can guess what his daughter is trying to say

 

“Not yet. Thanks God I punched him at the right time”

 

“Was he drunk at that time?”

 

“Maybe, maybe not. I don’t know”

 

Yuri hears her father sighs over the phone “Yuri ah. Go apologize to him and try to present the proposal again”

 

“APPA WAE!!”

 

“Because. It’s time for you to grow up. You need to leave any personal issue aside. The shareholders are worried that they may not be able to receive any dividends for this year.”

 

Yuri releases a deep breath. “I can’t appa. I cannot. He was the wrong one. It’s absurd to as me apology to him. ”

 

“If you lose this opportunity gain, I’m afraid that our stocks value will drop drastically. Listen I know he is wrong and you are right. But for the sakes of our company, for the sakes of all the employees that are working for us. Yuri ah, you need to put your pride aside. It’s the reality of the business world: benefit goes first.”

 

“Appa, is there anything more important than money for you? I’ve you ever concern about people around you. I think I’ve never seen mom be happy. Do you know why? Because you have rarely been home with her, not even during the holidays. You came back to hand us your gifs and left right away. Why? Why must you build such a big house for us but it’s so empty inside? I thought if I work with you, I’ll be able to understand you someday. I’ll be able to bring you back to mom. But I must be wrong. Until now I can’t understand you at all.”

 

“Yuri ah, your mom and I have a very complicate issue. It’s better for you to not bother. It’s not time to discuss about such details over the phone. Today is the last day of Mr. Johnson in Korea, make sure to clear your issue with him before he leave.”

 

Yuri hangs up after her that cuts the line.

 

“MONEY MONEY MONEY !! IS MONEY THE ONLY THING ON EARHT!!” Yuri shouts out her anger. She overthrows the chair on the floor.

 

*knock* *knock* *knock*

 

“GO AWAY!” Yuri shouts.

 

*There are few seconds of silence before the knocking sound restarts*

 

*knock* *knock* *knock*

 

“WHAT???????????” Yuri opens the door rudely. Yuri sees that she has startle Jessica with her brusk action.

 

“Mian, I didn’t want to bother you” Jessica says

 

Yuri softens her mood a little bit. “Come in” She pulls Jessica in her room. “What is that?”

 

“Uhm…airtickets. This morning, your Dad called me. He asked me to book a flight back to Seoul as soon as possible because Mr. Johnson is in Seoul now. He will return in to the US this afternoon”

 

“I’m not going”

 

“Why? You told me that he is very important for the project”

 

“Not anymore”

 

“Why?

 

“YA jjinja ! Do you remember what happened yesterday?”

 

“What happened yesterday?”

 

“HE…” Yuri wonders if she should tell Jessica or not. She seems to not remember. And our kiss you pabo Jessicat!!!

 

“I know that I drank a lot. I still have the hang over effect in my head”

 

“Why did you accept his drinks? You should have stopped at the first glass”

 

“But you told me that we should not make him gone mad or he would end the business. So I tried to please him”

 

“WHO THE HECK TOLD YOU TO PLEASE HIM?!? IF YOU DON’T KNOW HOW TO DRINK JUST DON’T PRETEND LIKE YOU CAN”

 

Jessica is surprised by Yuri reaction. She looks at Yuri with her big eyes.

 

“Aisssh Pabo” Yuri say

 

“Mian”

 

Yuri sighs “Why there are only two tickets?” Yuri picks the tickets from Jessica’s hand

 

“Yoona already headed back to Seoul in the early morning”

 

“Did she say why? She never left me without saying anything.”

 

“I think it’s something about her dad. Yuri ah, you are really not going to meet Mr. Johnson?”

 

“Don’t say his name again”

 

“How should I call him then? I only know his last name is Johnson”

 

“Aisshh jjinja.Don’t even mention his dirty name or …” Yuri stops talking when her eyes land on Jessica lips. She remembers the kiss of last night. Those soft lips. She wants to experience the kiss again.

 

Jessica is waiting for Yuri to continue “Or?”

 

Or I’m going to kiss you. Yuri thinks

 

You kissed me yesterday.Jessica notices where Yuri is looking at. But Jessica cannot remember what happened afterward. She wonders if something really happened between Yuri and her during last night.

 

“Let go back” Yuri says

 

“You are going to see …him?” Jessica is careful to not mention Johnson name. She is afraid that Yuri would get mad again. Why is she mad about him?

 

“DO I have a choice? The benefit of this year is depending on me” Yuri starts to pack her stuff. “Go pack your stuff too”

 

“It’s already done”

 

“Really? Then help me instead”

 

“I’m your secretary. Not your housekeeper”

 

Yuri doesn’t care. She turns toward the windows to make a call

 

Jessica pouts but she still pack Yuri belonging as asked.

 

“Oh Yoona. It’s me. How is your dad? Ok. Do you need any help? We are heading back to Seoul right now. We are probably going to be there around 1p.m. No don’t worry. I’ll handle it with him. Yes okay I’m not going to punch him again. I’m professional okay. What do you meant I’m a professional kick boxer. Alright, see you in the airport.”

 

“Yuri”

 

“What Jessicat?”

 

“You punched …him?”

 

“NO I KISSED HIM!” Aiiss jjinja. This girl is driving me crazy

 

 

About 1.5 hours later, Yulsic land on Seoul Gimpo International Airport. Yuri is helping Jessica to pull the luggage and the briefcase in order to move faster.

 

“Ya cheongmal, Am I your secretary or you are my secretary?” Yuri whines “Walk faster Jessicat”

 

Jessica runs up to Yuri. “It’s SICA not Sicat” She wants to carry the briefcase but Yuri doesn’t let her.

 

“It’s ok. You don’t need to carry it.” Yuri says

 

“Are you sure? You already carry too much things”

 

“Just walk JESSICAT” Yuri smirks

 

“JESSICA!!!!!!!!!!!” A voice called from a far.

 

Jessica is looking around to identify where the voice is coming from.

 

“BOOOOO!”

 

"Kkamjjakya!” Jessica shouts

 

Who the heck is that girl?Yuri wonders who the strange girl is. Yuri sees the girl gives Jessica a hug. YA!

 

Yuri sees another girl joins in and pulls the other girl ear. “Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Easy baby! Easy!”

 

“You dare to touch my sister again?”

 

“Krystal ah, be easy with Amber or she is going to run away from you”

 

“If she dares to” Krystal glances at Amber who is praying to be spared “UNNIEE!!!!!!” Krystal embraces with Jessica

 

“Why are you here today? I though you will only move back next month” Jessica asks Krystal

 

“Well mom has succeeded to sell the house sooner than expected.  So we decided to move back earlier.  It was a good coincident because I just finished my semester 2 days ago. All the exams are done. The school will send the results by mail to me.”

 

“Did you do well?”

 

“I think so”

 

“She may fail math, chemical and..” Amber adds in “Ouch!” She receives an elbow from Krystal.

 

Jessica smiles “Why are you here Amber? You follow Krystal everywhere”

 

“I don’t follow her. She follows me” Amber says

 

“WHAT? EXCUSE ME YOU WERE THE ONE WHO CAN'T TAKE YOUR EYES OF ME AT THE FIRST SIGHT” Krystal voices up

 

“OH YEAH. AND YOU WERE THE ONE WHO FOLLOWS ME FROM AT SECOND SIGHT”

 

“Oh Kids, please don’t be too loud. We are in public here. OH MY! I forgot Yuri. I need to catch up with Yuri. See you guys later ok. Is dad coming to pick up you? Where is mom?”

 

“Dad is on his way to coming. Mom was behind us when we passed the custom. So she should be here soon” Krystal replies

 

“Ok so see you tonight”