Chapter 02: Troublesome Shikshins

Childcare Chaos

 

"Unnie.." The short girl thought that she heard someone called her. Opening her eyes slowly, she saw a little girl, standing in front of her. She almost forget the fact that she had adopted seven kids. The girl calls her again, nudging her this time, with all her strength. Smiling at the girl, the short girl sits up, and patted the girl.

"What's it, Seohyun?" She asked.

"If you are tired, go to your room and sleep." Seohyun said, pointing to the short girl's room. She smiled and told the little girl that it is okay, and asked her to go and play with the others. The little girl nodded and ran off, joining her friends in their game. The short girl glanced at the clock on the wall, and was shocked, after realising how late it was. She has to prepare the dinner quick, or the shikshin will come crying for it again. Standing up quickly, she tidied her clothes and rush into the kitchen, taking out whatever she can find in the refrigerator and putting them on the table.

"Taeyeon-unnie, do you need any help?" Suddenly, a familiar little voice hits her ears. It is Seohyun again.

"It's okay, my dear. Go and play." Taeyeon pushed the girl gently, out of the kitchen, and went back to the stove to get the frying pan heated up. She had to finish all of this before seven, if she wants peace. Going as fast as she could, she managed to get most of it done, but still, she failed to get it all done before seven. And sure enough, someone started crying. The crying sound gets closer and closer to the kitchen, and soon, a tall kid stood at the entrance of the kitchen.

"I'm hungry!!" The kid shouted. Before Taeyeon could reply, another one appeared. The doe-eye girl covered the mouth of the crying girl and whispered to her, before wiping the tears away for her. Taeyeon could not hear what they are talking about. The doe-eye girl then grabbed the hand of the tall kid and led her away from the kitchen. Just when Taeyeon is thinking that the doe-eye girl is becoming more sensible, she heard the front door opening and slamming close. Feeling that something is not right, she turns off the stove quickly and runs into the living room, looking around.

"T.. Taeyeon-unnie! Yoona-unnie and Sooyoung-unnie went out on their own!" Seohyun ran to Taeyeon, shouting as she pointed to the front door. There is a small stool near the door, probably something that those two used to stand on and unlock the door. Worried, Taeyeon asked Seohyun to keep a watch on the rest for her, since Seohyun is the most sensible despite being the youngest, and ran towards the front door. She then noticed that the shoes of the two kids that ran away are still there.

"They went out barefooted!?" And she opened the door, running down the street while looking around for the two. Since they are hungry, they are probably in a place that has food. So Taeyeon went to the nearest convenience store to find them. But before she could get in, two small figures shot past her, out of the shop. The shopkeeper was behind them, shouting. Taeyeon stopped the shopkeeper immediately.

"What happened?" She asked, seeing that the shopkeeper is angry.

"Those two little kids stole a bag of potato chips!" He shouted, attempting to get past the short girl and chase those two. Taeyeon took out her wallet and gave him the right amount before apologising and walked away, in the direction where the two ran to. She stood at the corner of the wall and peeked out, looking at the two little girls squatting together behind the wall.

"Here.. eat.. Since you are hungry.." The doe-eye girl opened up the bag of potato chips and passed it to the tall girl.

"But what about you?" The tall girl asked, not wanting to eat it without the doe-eye girl. After all, it was because of the doe-eye girl that they managed to get this bag of potato chips. "I'm sure that you are hungry too.."

"I'm fine. Just eat, before that scary uncle come and take it away from us."

"Do you know that it is wrong to steal?" Suddenly, a familiar voice came up from behind them, startling them. Both of them turn around and are shocked, to see Taeyeon standing behind them, frowning.

"Ta.. Taeyeon-unnie.." The doe-eye girl stuttered.

"Let's go. You two need to do some reflection on what you had just did.." Taeyeon grabbed the back of the collar of both of them and dragged them back to her house. She put them down in the bathroom, and helped them to wash their dirty feet. "You should at least wear your shoes first.. Look at how dirty your feet are.."

The two kept quiet and looked at each other. The bag of potato chips is still in the hands of the tall kid. She had been hugging it tightly, fearing that Taeyeon would snatch it away from her. After washing their feet, Taeyeon reached out her hand, and asked them to hand over the potato chips.

"No! This is a gift from Yoongie! I'm not going to hand it over!" Sooyoung grabbed Yoona's hand and ran out of the bathroom. But Taeyeon caught her instantly, and took the potato chips away.

"Give it back to her, unnie.. It's my fault so don't punish her.." Yoona begged, hugging Taeyeon's leg. Her heart soften.

"Yoona-ah.. You are spoiling her.." Taeyeon tries to pull the girl away from her leg but failed. It seems like she would not let go unless Taeyeon promises not to punish Sooyoung. Finally, Taeyeon could not take it anymore and nodded, promising that she would not punish Sooyoung. Yoona smiled and let go, taking the bag of potato chips from Taeyeon and gives it Sooyoung again, before leading her out of the kitchen. Taeyeon sighed, and went back to the stove to continue cooking. Most of the food that are ready are getting cold already, so she had to heat them up again before gathering the kids. Yoona did not come.

"Why isn't Yoongie here?!" Sooyoung asked, looking at the empty seat beside her.

"Punishment." Taeyeon replied calmly, as she puts a spoonful of rice into . She peeked out of the kitchen, and saw the doe-eye girl sitting on the sofa, dazing.

"What?! How can you let her skip her meal?" Sooyoung banged the table before using her chopsticks to take some of the food and put it in her own bowl. She then got down from her chair and went out of kitchen. Taeyeon could see Sooyoung trying to feed Yoona, but Yoona is refusing. Thinking that it might be okay, Taeyeon continues to eat, and before she could take another look at the two, she could hear them quarrelling.

"Huh? I guess miracle do happen then.. Those two are actually fighting.." Hyoyeon commented, as she puts a piece of fish meat into . "Maybe next time Sica will wake up after one hour of sleep."
Taeyeon looked out of the kitchen again. Sooyoung, though shouting, is still trying to put the spoonful of rice into Yoona's mouth.

"I don't want it! Eat it yourself!" Yoona shouted, pushing Sooyoung's hand away. But she accidentally used too much force, and Sooyoung could not balance herself. A loud thud was heard, and those in the kitchen could hear a bowl smashing on the floor. Taeyeon stood up immediately and ran out of the kitchen, to see Sooyoung lying on top of Yoona, and a smashed bowl beside them. Shocked, the short girl rushed to their side and pulled them up.

"Are you okay?!" She asked, checking their bodies for cuts. There was one, on Yoona's right hand. She probably got it while trying to prevent Sooyoung from hitting the ground just now. The loud thud is probably a result of her jumping off the sofa, and falling on the floor. Yoona stayed calmed, and tries to bear with the pain in her hand, while Sooyoung was crying loudly when she saw the blood on Yoona's hand. Taeyeon carried the doe-eye girl and stood up, bringing her into the bedroom so that she could dress the wound for her. The other five are all standing in the kitchen, peeking out. Sooyoung ran into the room after wiping her tears away. Approximately two minutes later, the short girl came out with the doe-eye girl following behind her, and the tall girl clinging to the doe-eye girl. Her eyes are red.

"Come on, kids. Let's continue eating.. I will clean that mess later.." Taeyeon gave the rest a little push, and they went back to their own seats, waiting for Taeyeon to sit down. Taeyeon then put two bowls of rice in front of the two empty seats, before sitting down at her own. "You two.. come and sit down.."
Yoona and Sooyoung climbed up the chair and sat down, staring at the bowl in front of them. The rest started eating, and Yoona continues to stare. With her right hand injured, she could not hold the chopsticks. In the end, Sooyoung was feeding her.

Maybe I should not have punished them... Taeyeon sighed. And she regrets thinking that way, when Sooyoung suddenly blame her for Yoona's injury. After hearing that, she face-palmed herself. Maybe I SHOULD have punish this girl instead of Yoona...