Chapter 06: Reunion

Childcare Chaos

 

Sunny is feeling a little uncomfortable, as the atmosphere in the car is not really good. Even though the girl told her that they can discuss about the project on the way, it was quiet. No one spoke at all. She looked around and saw, yet another, picture of Taeyeon and her childhood friend. She wanted to reveal something to this girl, but she wants to get an answer for her question first. Just when she was about to ask again, about the seven kids, the car stop and Taeyeon got off. Sunny gets off quickly too, and saw a kindergarten. She followed Taeyeon into the building, and saw a few boys with bruise on their cheeks, and two of the kids that she sees on the picture just now. The tall one and the doe-eye girl. Beside the group of kids, was the teacher.

"What are you doing, Sooyoung? Hitting people on your first day?!" Taeyeon almost screamed at the tall kid, but she restrained herself, not wanting to scared the other kids. The tall kid kept quiet and soon, she started crying. "You hit people and now you are crying?" Taeyeon continued. The doe-eye girl hugged Sooyoung immediately, her.

"Unnie, she didn't mean to hit them.." The doe-eye girl said.

"Yoona, you are really spoiling her.." Taeyeon replied, pulling the doe-eye girl away and notice that the bandage on her hand seems new. ".. You changed a bandage?"

"Ms. Kim, I think you kind of misunderstood. These boys were teasing Yoona about her injury and Sooyoung is trying to protect her. But she ends up hitting them. I have no choice but to contact you." The teacher stepped in, trying to explain about the situation. The tall kid ran out of the room right away, feeling upset about the misunderstanding, but she ends up bumping into Sunny, who is standing outside all this while. The doe-eye girl came and pulled her into a hug again, patting her and trying to comfort her.

"... I'm sorry, Ms. Park. I think I will bring these two back first, is it alright?" Taeyeon looked at the teacher, who nodded. Taeyeon thanked her and approached the two kids. "Let's go." And she tries to grab the small hands of the the kids. The tall kid moved away, not wanting to have her hand being held by Taeyeon. She even slapped Taeyeon's hand when Taeyeon held Yoona's hand.

"Choi.." Taeyeon wanted to call the kid, but Sunny squatted down in front of the kid.

"You are tall, for a kid." Sunny smiled, patting Sooyoung. Sooyoung stopped crying, as she is now feeling puzzled. She did not know this stranger at all, but this stranger is acting so friendly. "I'm your unnie's colleague. Since you didn't want to hold her hand, why not hold mine?"

Sooyoung stared at her for a while and nodded. "But.. you can't hold Yoongie's hand. Only I can hold hers."

Sunny giggled and agreed. "Okay. I hold yours, and you hold hers. Alright?" She reached out her hand, and Sooyoung held it immediately. She held Yoona's with another hand. Sunny led the two out of the kindergarten and to the car, leaving Taeyeon alone. Taeyeon reminded the other five to behave and ran to the car right away. She opened the door for the kids to get in, before getting in at the driver seat on her own. Sunny sat down at the front seat.

"You are not going to leave them at home alone, are you?" Sunny asked, as Taeyeon starts up the engine.

"No. I don't want to go home to find all my snacks missing.. Thanks, by the way..." Taeyeon replied, not looking at the girl as she is concentrating on driving.

"I wanted to ask you but never really got the chance.. Why did you adopt so many of them?" Sunny finally got to ask the question that she had since just now.

"I wanted three, but the other four followed along. As you can see, those two are an example. That tall one is sticking really close to the doe-eye girl." Taeyeon replied, calmly.

"So, why did you even intended to adopt them?"

"... To fulfil a promise. A promise that I made to my childhood friend." Taeyeon stopped at a red light and glanced at the picture, with a sad expression. "But she's a liar.. She asked me to wait for her yet she never come back.."

Sunny kept quiet for a while.

".. Wait. Why am I telling you this..?" Taeyeon opened her eyes wide, suddenly, shocked at the things that she had just told this new girl.

"Why not, Taengoo?" Sunny said, smiling sweetly.

"It's be.. wait. How did you know my nickname?" Taeyeon stared at Sunny, clearly shocked. "Only my childhood friend know that.."

Just then, Sunny shows her left hand to Taeyeon. The ring is shining brightly on her forth finger. Taeyeon quickly put her own hand beside Sunny's, and opened wide.

"...S.. Soonkyu..?" Taeyeon stuttered, still in shock.

"Don't call me that. It makes me sound old. It's Sunny now." Sunny pouted, and Taeyeon could seeing the resemblance of this girl with her childhood friend. There is no doubt, that this girl is the one that she had been waiting for. Honk. Taeyeon jumped. She did not realise that the green light is on already, and those drivers waiting at the back are getting annoyed. She quickly steps on the acceleration pedal and drove off. After a while, they reached their office and she parked her car. There was silence again.

"I didn't lie." Sunny broke the silence. "I did went back but you are gone already. Your parents said that you came to Seoul. That's why I'm here now. But I didn't expect to meet you so soon though."
Sunny turns around, and is surprise to see Taeyeon staring so intensely at her. Suddenly, tears start to flow down Taeyeon's cheeks. It kind of shock Sunny.

"You fool... Do you know how much I miss you?" Taeyeon pulls Sunny in her embrace, crying. "I waited for years... Longing to see you again but.."

"I'm here now, isn't it? Stop crying. We have to go up soon." Sunny patted Taeyeon gently. She is happy, to reunite with her friend. The friend that she loved.

"You fool... Do you know how much I miss you?" Suddenly, a small voice is heard. Both Taeyeon and Sunny turn towards the back seat, and saw Sooyoung hugging Yoona. Apparently, she is trying to reenact the scene.

"I waited for years... Longing to see you again but.." Sooyoung continued, copying even the expression.

"Choi Sooyoung!" Taeyeon screamed, and Sunny laughed. Taeyeon noticed it, and laughed too. The two kids are slightly confused about the situation though.

.....

"Aww.. They are so cute!" The female colleagues crowd around the two kids that appeared in their office. Since it is a no-no to put them alone at home, Taeyeon has no choice but to bring them to the office.

"Don't touch my Yoongie!" Sooyoung hugged the doe-eye girl quickly, before one of the colleagues could touch the doe-eye girl. Taeyeon sighed, while Sunny giggled.

"Sorry guys. She's a little sensitive when it is about Yoona or food. Leave them alone." Taeyeon approached the crowd and pushed them back to their seats. Taeyeon then take out a pack of potato chips and gave it to the two, before returning to her seat, beside Sunny. They start to discuss about the project, but it became hard to concentrate when there is a constantly munching sound coming from behind them.

"Maybe it's a bad idea to bring them here.." Taeyeon sighed, slamming her head on the desk, as the munching continue. Sunny laughed and patted Taeyeon.

"Is it me, or they are getting along well really quickly?" The colleagues looked at the the short girl being patted by the new girl, who is still laughing. Everyone shrugged, as they really did not know.