Their Past - Jessica

Childcare Chaos

 

“I wonder if this colour is nice, darling. What do you think?” A girl with red hair held out a bottle of hair colouring solution towards the green-haired guy, who seems to be busy with his phone.

 

“I don’t know. Just do whatever you want. I’m busy.” The guy didn’t even bother to look at the girl. Clearly angry about that, the girl snatched the phone over to check what he’s doing. Games. “… Dear, you’re so cute so anything will look good on you. Just choose whatever you want okay? Give me back my phone.”

 

“… Araso.” The girl gives the guy his phone and continues to ponder over which hair colour she should go for. Randomly, she grabs the blonde colouring and taps on the guy’s shoulder. “Let’s go.”

The guy nodded and kept his phone as he looks around. Signalling to the girl, the two of them ran off, out of the store with the bottle of hair colouring without paying for it. The store assistant tried to chase them but the two of them are unexpectedly fast. Knowing that the chase ended, the two of them stopped and laughed.

 

“Success! We are so great, my dear!” The guy cheered. “Let’s go home now.”

…..

Upon reaching home, a loud wailing could be heard. The girl frowns almost immediately after hearing that. She pushed the door open angrily and walked to the storeroom.

 

“SHUT THE HELL UP, LITTLE PUNK!” She kicks the door.

 

“M… Mummy, I’m hungry…” A kid’s voice could be heard.

 

“That’s your problem. Stop wailing or you will get it from me.” And she walks away, slumping onto the sofa. “Aish. Why do we have such a annoying kid?”

 

“I told you to abort her already but you won’t listen.” The guy replied, not even caring about it a single bit.

 

“You know my parents… They insist that I should give birth to that punk and raise her up to learn to be responsible. Responsible my !” The girl cussed, as she took out the hair colouring that they stole earlier. Opening it, she stares at it for a moment. “The colour…. What if it’s bad? That would ruin my hair totally…”

 

“Try it on that punk first then.” The guy remarked casually. Taking the idea in immediately, the girl stands up and walks back to the storeroom. Soon, she came back, dragging a child behind her. She applied the colouring on the hair of the clueless child with much force, causing much pain to the poor child. After a while, she drags the child to the bathroom and sprayed water on her.

 

“Mm. The colour isn’t bad, right?” Dragging the child behind her again, the girl shows the guy the colour of the child’s hair.

 

“It’s nice.”

 

“Okays. You get back to the store.” The girl ordered, pointing towards the storeroom.

 

“But Mummy… My clothes are wet…” The little girl, now with blonde hair, tugs on her own shirt.

 

“Don’t want to get back in? Fine. Get out of the house then.” The red haired girl pulls the blonde kid forcefully and pushed her out of the house before slamming the door close.

 

“Mummy!!! Mummy let me in!!! I will get back into the room! Please let me in! Daddy!” The blonde girl knocks on the door repeatedly, and stops instantly when a loud bang is heard from inside. Someone kicked the door, probably her mother. “….” Not knowing what to do, the blonde girl sat outside the house. Her wet clothes are making her uncomfortable.

 

“Mm? Sica ah, what are you doing outside?” Just then, the ahjumma from next door came back, surprised to see the kid sitting outside. “And your hair…”

 

“…. M…. Mummy….” Jessica started crying, unable to finish answering. But the middle aged woman could roughly guess what is going on already.

-----

“Her parents are some irresponsible younglings and they decided to throw her out of the house. As much as I know about her family, they came from America when this kid is just one year old, so I don’t think she has any other relatives here in Korea. I can’t take care of her myself since I have to work, so I thought I should leave her here instead of trying to get her parents to take her back.” The middle-aged woman handed the sleeping blonde kid to the lady in charge of the orphanage carefully, not wanting to wake the girl up. After the woman left, the lady in charge brought the little girl to a room and placed her on a bed slowly, oblivious to the little shadow behind her. The tiny figure emerged from its hiding place as soon as the lady leaves the room, and begins to nudge the sleeping girl.

 

“…..” Initially, the blonde girl was going to ignore whoever is nudging her. But soon it got annoying, and her eyes open up instantly. “YAH!”

 

“Ack! I… I’m sorry… I… I… My bed is j… just beside yours so I thought we could be friends….” The terrified little girl backs away slightly from the blonde girl.

 

“…. Sorry. I’m Jessica. Nice to meet you.” Feeling sorry for scaring someone that she doesn’t even know, she held her hand out for a handshake.

 

“I’m Tiffany! Nice to meet you!” The girl shook her hand happily, revealing a beautiful eye-smile that captivated Jessica instantly.

 

“…. Now, excuse me while I sleep. Bye.” And the blonde girl fell asleep again. Bored, Tiffany starts to nudge Jessica again, as she wants the girl to play with her. After a near five minutes of nudging, Jessica jumps out from her bed in rage, and the two started running for a unfriendly game of tag. And that marks the start of their friendship.