Chapter 05: New Colleague

Childcare Chaos

 

It was a busy morning. The short girl had been running around the house, rushing the kids to getting ready as soon as possible. She did not want them to be late for their kindergarten on their first day. Since they had moved in with the short girl, they had to change to a kindergarten which is nearer to the house of the short girl. After a fifteen minutes rush, they are finally ready, and the short girl put them into the backseats of her seven-seater car, one by one. She then start the engine and they are off, in the direction of the kindergarten.

"Remember to behave yourselves, and listen to the teacher. Okay?" She patted each of them on the head once, and gave them a small push, asking them to get into the small building. The teacher came out to greet the short girl.

"Ahh.. Such a young mother." The teacher commented, with a smile.

"Ah. No. I adopted them." Taeyeon smiled, awkwardly. It is sure weird to be mistaken to be a mother at her young age. What is more, mother of seven kids. That would be crazy.

"I see. Well, kids, let's go in and greet your new friends, shall we?" The teacher randomly grabbed the small hand of the doe-eye girl, who is the closest to her. However, the taller one slapped her hand immediately, surprising her.

"Only I can hold Yoongie's hand.. and maybe Taeyeon-unnie too.." The tall kid pouted, pulling the doe-eye girl's hand away from the teacher.

"Choi Sooyoung, don't be rude!" The short girl called out.

"Silly.." The doe-eye girl said, giving the tall kid a gentle knock on her forehead before patting her. The teacher giggled, and brought them in. The short girl sighed. I hope them will be fine.

.....

"Morning guys." The short girl walked into the office and greeted her colleagues, before siting down at her seat. She looked at the empty seat beside her. It had been empty since the day she came, as the previous designer retired due to the inability to cope with the strict and hard work here. And normally, those sitting together work on the same project together, but since no one is sitting beside her, she had to work on it on her own, so her project have either a longer timeline or less work. She then looked at her own desk. It is still filled with a lot of previous character designs, along with two pictures. One picture of the seven kids and one of her and her childhood friend. She stared at the second one for a while, and it felt like tears are going to come out soon if she does not stop looking at it. She wipes those at her eyes away quickly and took out her laptop from her bag, followed by the tablet. Just then, her boss came in, with a short girl behind him.

"Guys, from today onwards, this will be your new colleague. Introduce yourself, miss." The boss said, looking at the girl.

She.. is cute.. Taeyeon could not stop staring. And she looked familiar..

"Hi everyone. I'm Sunny. Nice to meet you." The short girl bowed, and smiled sweetly. The colleagues introduced themselves too, one by one, and the last one is Taeyeon, who is still in a daze. Someone standing near her gave her a nudge, bringing her back to reality.

"Oh. Sorry. I'm Taeyeon. Nice to meet you." Taeyeon smiled. The boss asked the girl to sit beside Taeyeon, and went back to his own room without saying anything else. Everyone settled down and went back to their work. Taeyeon did so too, not really bothering about the girl who came and sat down beside her.

"Are you married?" The girl asked, suddenly, surprising Taeyeon.

"No. Why do you ask?" Taeyeon replied. What's with this girl...? Being so close even though we just met..

"Ring. You are wearing a ring on your forth finger."

"Ah. This is a ring from my childhood friend. I enlarged it so that I can wear it."

"I see. Nice to meet you. Please guide me well."

"Okay." Taeyeon nodded, and return to her work immediately. Sunny stared at her for a while, smirking, before looking at her own ring that is on her forth finger too. It looked similar to Taeyeon's, in fact, it is the same. Just then, the boss called for Taeyeon. Taeyeon stood up and went into the room, with her thumb-drive in her hand, probably to hand up her work. Sunny moves closer to the empty seat and looked at the two pictures on the table. She picks up the one with only two kids and looked at it.

"That's Taeyeon with her childhood friend." A colleague said, after noticing that Sunny is looking at the picture. "Better not touch that, Sunny."

"Why?" Sunny did not understand.

"It's precious to her. Someone tried to touch it before and she kind of flare up." The colleague explained. "I guess she loves her childhood friend a lot."

Sunny nodded and put the picture down, smiling widely. She then looked at the other one.

"What about the seven kids?" She asked.

"She adopted them. I did not know why though. If you want, ask her yourself." The colleague replied, not looking up from his work.

Sunny nodded even though he is not looking, and return to her own table, trying to get some work done. Meanwhile, in the boss's room, Taeyeon gave the thumb-drive to the boss and wait for him to check her work. Looking bored, the boss scrolled through the folder and suddenly, his eyes opened wide, surprising Taeyeon much.

"Where did you get the idea from? For the last seven characters..." The boss asked, looking at Taeyeon.

"M.. My seven kids at home.. Why?"

"They are perfect! I guess I will use seven instead of two then. Good job, Taeyeon." The boss smiled, doing a thumb-up. Taeyeon could not help but to feel happy. She took her thumb-drive back and bowed, before walking out of the room with a wide grin. Everyone could easily guess that the boss is happy with her work, and probably praised her. Taeyeon returns to her seat, and realises that the picture of her childhood friend is moved, slightly.

"... Did you touch the pictures..?" She turned to look at the new girl and asked. Her tone is not good at all.

"I was looking at the picture of the seven kids. I think I accidentally moved the second on. Sorry." Sunny lied. She did not want this girl to flare up at her on her first day here. Taeyeon kept quiet, and sat down, plugging her thumb-drive into her own laptop and arranging the drawings.

"So, which two did the boss choose?" The colleague from before asked.

"He chose seven." Taeyeon smiled, forgetting about the moved picture instantly. The colleague clapped softly, congratulating her, before returning to his work again. Sunny observed Taeyeon for a while, and just when she was about to ask the girl about the seven kids, Taeyeon's phone rang. Taeyeon took her phone out of her pocket, and saw a unknown number. She picks up the call and after a while, her expression turns dark. She apologised and hung up.

"... Causing trouble on the first day...?" Taeyeon murmured to herself. Sunny jumped, as she thought that Taeyeon is talking about her. Taeyeon stood up suddenly and went back into the boss's office. After a while, she came out and packed her stuff a little, before taking her car key and is ready to go out. "... The boss asked you to follow. Since we are a team, we can talk about the project on the way.." She said, coldly, to Sunny. Sunny gulped and nodded, taking her bag and following after Taeyeon, to the car park.