HARABEOJIE

YOUNGMIN+ 1 HOUSE+ I= DISASTER!

 

KIM JIN AH

Umma was crying while Appa was hugging her.

                “When will you pay your debt?” a big guy who was wearing black clothes asked them.

                “We promised that it will be this week.” Appa answered.

The guy laughed. “We already heard that for so many times. Really when are you planning to pay?” he was smirking.

Appa and Umma didn’t speak.

                “Boys beat them!” he ordered but before they could hurt my parents I shouted.

                “Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I got a plate from the kitchen and threw it to him. Good thing it landed on his foot not on his face. “FAIL, Leave my parents alone!” I said bravely.

                “Wow” the guy clapped his hands. “A strong young lady”

                “Don’t touch my daughter, I’m warning you.” Appa said as they walked closer to me.

                “What a great family, you know what, she’s enough to pay all your debt to me.”

                “What!” Appa was about to run to him but we held his arms.

                “Don’t listen to him, Appa.” I said.

                “Kevin, what are we going to do now?” Umma whispered to Appa.

We were still lucky that we heard the siren of the police cars.

                “They’re coming, boss.” One of the guys in black spoke.

                “We’re not yet over, until this week or your daughter will be mine.” he warned.

                “Mine your .” I answered him.

They ran out of our house. The policemen entered and we were so glad that were saved.

I looked at Umma and Appa.

                “Are both of you alright?” I asked.

                “Jin ah, forgive us.”

                “For what?”

Another two tall men came.

My parents bowed at them.

                “Is Appa doing fine?” Umma asked.

                “Deh” the two answered in chorused.

                “Jin ah, you have to go with them.”

                “Whe?”

                “Appa is looking for you.”

                “Harabeojie?”

I left my parents and followed these two men. They let me entered a white car.

                “Bye Jin ah” Appa and Umma bade goodbye and I was curious why it felt like it will be our last meeting.

                “I’ll come back.” I said.

The truth was, for my 16 years of existence here on earth, I never set my eyes on Harabejie. It was because Umma hated him. She told me that Harabeojie didn’t want me. He even told Umma to abort the baby but Umma didn’t. So here I am, still alive living under a small house with my parents.

                “We’re here.” The guy said.

He opened the door for me. “Kumawo.”

We were standing outside the hospital. “He’s sick?”

                “Please follow me.” the guy didn’t answer my question.

I did follow him.

                “This is the room.”

They left me and as I looked at the door, I was hesitating to enter.

                “Should I enter or not?”

Umma’s face suddenly flashed in my mind.

                “I should think that I’m only doing this for her.”

I turned the door knob and saw him lying on the bed. A tiny tube for his breathing was connected to his nose and mouth, surprised me. He seemed so weak.

I walked closer to him.

                “Harabeojie?”

He slightly opened his eyes.

                “Jin Ah, is that you?”

                “Deh” I answered.

                “Come here.”

I moved closer and he suddenly hugged me.

                “I’ve been regretting what I did years ago.” He said. “I regret what I did to your mother, I gave her a hard time before and now I’m regretting all of it.” I heard him sobbed. “Please forgive me, please.” He kept on saying sorry that I wasn’t able to control my tears.

He let go of me.

                “Take this letter,” he handed a white envelope to me. “This will save your family and I know that this is the only way I would be able to receive your mother’s forgiveness.”

I stared at it.

                “Go, before it’s too late. Those guys who brought you here will bring you to the right place.”