Chapter 88

You Who Came From The Stars

Xiumin had yet to move.

The rest of the Legends had started shifting to the new headquarters and Suho had helped him locate a couple of places that seemed suitable for his business. In fact, he had all but settled on the one he wanted and Suho had been bugging him to make the decision already.

He would've decided on his own but he still hoped that he could convince Lily to join him. And even if he didn't, he still wanted her opinion. She had a smart head on her shoulders and with her studies ending soon, she would be able to work full time.  

In fact, he was well aware of her plans to expand her father's business and knew that she had been saving up until now so they wouldn't have to take too much of a loan to kick off. That was admirable and her business plan was as fail proof as possible, considering multiple angles and all the estimated profits and losses counted right down to the last digit. She knew what she was doing.

Which was why he wanted her.

So the next time there was lull in the customers, he leaned over the counter, watching her work as he brought up the subject.

'You know I'll be closing this shop.' He stated. Her busy hands stilled for a minute, then she turned around to frown at him. 'You're really serious about this, huh?'

He shrugged. 'Can't be helped, this place is getting shabby and if I invest too much in renovation, then I won't be able to start the new deal.'

'Wait, you're not just moving to a new place? You're starting something else?' her eyebrows rose questioningly.

He nodded. 'A coffee shop, to be exact.'

'Why?'

'I told you its family…'

'I know that.' She dusted her hands off on the apron, then took it off and threw it on the counter before leaning in front of him. 'I mean, why a coffee shop?'

'Cause I like coffee.' He stated seriously. She laughed. 'Really? That's it?'

'Yup, that's it.' He nodded empathically. 'Ice-creams, snacks, bubble tea, its all cool and an excellent hub for the present market but… I've always wanted to have a coffee shop and I figured, hey, what the hell?' He shrugged.

She cocked an eyebrow, 'So, why're you telling me?'

'I told you I want you onboard.'

'I told you I can't.'

'Hear me out first.'

'Fine. Hit me.'

'Promise you won't let pride come in this.'

She sniffed. 'I can't promise that.'

'Geez, it's purely business and has nothing to do with charity.' He shook his head. 'Whatever I'll give you, I plan to take it back.'

She stared at him shrewdly. 'Go on.'

He outlined the plan – he would buy the deeds in her name along with his, giving her equal rights to the building and the business. She would have more independence and authority over the workings of the venture and it would provide her with experience before she decided to start out alone. She could pay him back whenever she earned enough, no hurry.

'Think about it – you have no practical experience about starting your own work. Everything you've charted out until now is all hypothetical and if any of your calculations have even the slightest waver, they won't hold and all your hard work goes down the drain. This way, you'll have proper experience and even if you branch off on your own, this can continue in your name and you'll have a regular source of income. It'll make things easier for you and your family and you won't have to work your off all the time.'

She chewed her lips as she thought over his offer. She was tempted, he could see it in her eyes but eventually, she sighed. 'How much is the share?'

He named the price. 'I'll try to get it lower.'

She nodded. 'They'll probably give in, the place sounds in terrible conditions; what makes you think you'll be able to do it?'

'I don't think I am able to do it, not alone.' He patted her hands. 'But I think you'll be able to turn it around.'

'Nice work on the flattery but it won't get you anywhere with me.' She smiled. 'I'll think about it, okay? I can't promise anything because my brother has already talked to several of his friends who're willing to invest in our business and I need to be objective about this. My family already has a reputation around the area and we're basically going to expand on our father's restaurant…'

'I'll respect whatever decision you take.' Xiumin told her. Just then, the doorbell jingled and a bunch of students strolled inside. 'Think about it.' He told her again before going away.

…………………………

Lily stared at the bright, colorful notice that had been placed right outside the shop's door.

We regretfully inform our faithful customers that this shop will be closing down soon. Don't worry, though, you can still find us at: ---------------. For more information, contact at -----------.

She shook her head. He really was going to shut down this flourishing business. Idiot.

Well, it wasn’t like it mattered. Soon as her diploma finished, she would pack her bags and leave for her hometown and use her savings to launch her own franchise. She had it all planned out and her years of hard work had resulted in enough accumulated money that they wouldn't need too much loan to start.

Still, the place was special. It was her first job when she'd come here and it was the only one she'd kept steadily over the past two years. Xiumin wasn't just her boss, he was also a friend and she would miss him and his shop when she went back.

He brought up the job proposal again. 'So… did you think about it?'

She cocked her hip to shut the drawer, then put the stuff on the counter. 'I did.'

'And?'

'I'd love to…' His face fell and she smiled regretfully. 'But I can't.'

'You're going back this weekend, aren't you?' he asked. She nodded, wondering what that had to do with anything.

'Discuss it with your family.' He coaxed. 'Tell them what an awesome boss I am…'

'They already know that.' She grinned. They did and given the number of times they brought him up, it was obvious they had high hopes for them getting together. Looks like everyone wants that but us, she thought sardonically. His family and hers.

'Great, maybe they'll talk some sense into you.'

'Xiumin…' she began but shut up when her cellphone suddenly rang. They both stared at her backpack wordlessly – she didn't get any calls, not even from her family because she was always the one doing the calling.

'Take it.' Xiumin told her, taking the things from her hands and pushing her towards the storage room. 'I'll handle it here.'

Her heart thudded hard when she answered. 'Lily?' It was her brother and he sounded grave.

'What is it?' Never one to beat about the bush, she got straight to business. There were crying and shushing sounds in the background. 'What's wrong?'

'It's Rose.' Her younger sister. Her stomach dropped. 'What…?'

'She had an accident.' Her brother tried to sound unemotional but it was obvious her condition was bad because his voice was quavering. 'Her head… she's lost a lot of blood and… needs immediate surgery… mom, will you please stop crying? Hon, take her outside please!' While he talked to his wife, his voice cracking even more, Lily tried to process what she'd been told.

Her knees felt a little weak so she put out against the wall to support herself. And tried to settle her nerves so she could think about what needed to be done. When her brother came back on line, she had decided.

'Do whatever the doctors say.' She told him, 'I'll handle the money so don't worry about it.'

'Lily…' he began.

'I know what I'm doing, okay.'

'You won't be coming, will you?' He guessed, sounding dejected.

'Her life is more important.'

'I can take some from…'

'We are not talking about baby's college fund ever again. I think I told you that already.'

'It took you years to gather all that…' he protested.

'So I'll work a few more years.' She told him, 'Get her whatever treatment she needs and if you need anything else, call me. If I find that you're taking even a penny from the funds, I'll cut off your access to the account.'

'You're such a pain.' He mock-raged, 'always ordering me about.'

'Yeah right. Get mom here, I'll talk to her as well.'

After talking to her mom and reassuring her over and over, she finally hung up and rubbed a hand over her face. Looked like Xiumin was getting his wish after all.

'I'll do it,' she told him the next time they were alone. He was bending over to put something in the cabinets and banged his head on the frame before he straightened, rubbing it with a pout. He smiled at first, the frowned. 'What happened?'

'I talked to my family.' She shrugged. 'Like you said.'

'Bull.' He leaned his hip against the counter. 'What happened?'

He knows me too well, she shook her head. 'Rose had an accident and needs surgery.'

He stared at her quietly for a moment. 'So you're sending over the money and not going yourself.'

'I figure I can use another few years of work experience.' She shrugged – it would've been her first visit in two years. He shook his head at her matter-of-fact tone, then gestured her closer. She leaned on the counter. 'What?'

'I think you should go.' He told her. She pursed her lips. 'I have to get an estimate of the costs first and see if…'

'Geez, stop thinking about money for a few seconds!' He smacked her head. 'She's your sister, she's sick and your family obviously needs you around. Okay?'

'You think I don't know that?' she countered, irritated by his implication that she was being heartless. 'Unlike you, however, I can't afford to up and leave okay? Someone needs to keep a cool head when everyone else is panicking and…'

'It doesn’t always have to be you.' He finished for her, stalling her tirade. She stared at him, then let out a huff, blinking so that her eyes wouldn't tear up. Truth was she wanted to go, she wanted to be there and make sure everything was alright, that Rose got the best treatments and everything. But…

'Just go. Your spot will still be available here, alright? I'm not hiring anyone else.' She laughed. 'I know that!'

'Stop thinking about it and just leave.'

'Now?' she stared at him in surprise.

'Yes now.' He pushed her towards the doorway, his fingers loosening the knot of her apron. 'Get on the bus, that's cheaper and you'll be there in what? Four hours?'

'Four and a half.' She muttered, placing the apron on the counter. 'Fine. You sure you'll be alright?'

The rush of customers had only increased ever since he had put up the notice, everyone eager to show him that he didn't have to close it down. It only made things more hectic.

'I'll be fine.' he assured her, then gave her another push. 'Leave now. Give my regards to your family and tell them I wish Rose a complete recovery.'

'Will do.' She smiled and waved over her shoulder. 'Thanks, I owe you one!'

'That's a relief,' she heard him mutter and smiled again before rushing towards the bus station.

………………………….

'Luhan…' Mei's voice was breathless as he pushed her against the wall, hands resting beside her head. She tried to duck underneath but he stopped her, pulling her back into position. Her fingers splayed on his chest, halfheartedly pushing him back. 'Don't do that!'

'Do what?' He asked, looking too innocent as his hand sneaked under her shirt to tickle her. 'This?'

'Ah!' She smacked a hand over to stop the too-loud squeal. After all, they were still within the campus and it was never a good idea to make too much noise if you were bunking class. 'Do you wanna get caught?' She whispered fiercely, smacking his hand away.

Luhan, apparently, did want that because he grinned unrepentantly before leaning down to blow on her neck. Shivers raced down her spine and she barely suppressed a surprised moan. He leaned forward until their faces were only breaths apart and her eyes almost closed before she spied that too innocent look on his face.

If the last few weeks had taught her anything, it was that her boyfriend was a troublemaker. He loved pulling pranks, loved teasing her more and he looked his most angelic exactly when he was doing that. She snapped her eyes open to glare at him as he placed a chaste kiss on her nose. She hmphed in annoyance as he smiled angelically. 'What?'

'Nothing…' she tried to duck under his arms again and this time he let her go.     

You'd think after all the time they'd spent apart, he would be a bit more interested in making out with her, especially when she'd sneaked out of class to meet up with him. He was extremely busy these days, what with all that work load, assignments and field work along with his soccer practice and dammit all, she was missing him terribly. And she'd hoped he was feeling the same but apparently, teasing her still took top priority.

She was almost out of the tiny back alley they were hiding in when his arms slipped around and he pulled her close in a back hug.

'I missed you so much…'

He pulled back to sit on the wide window ledge of the conveniently empty classroom. Sitting her down between his legs, he snuggled against her properly and tucked his chin in the crook of her neck. She wrapped her hands around his and leaned back. 'Really?'

'Yeah.' He smiled up at her, then planted a soft kiss on her jaw. 'A lot.'

'I missed you too.' She played with his fingers, twining and intertwining them with hers, then started when his lips started tracing around the shell of her ear. 'Luhan…' she began, worried someone might peek inside the alley and find them.

'Shh…' he shushed her as he adjusted her, one hand slipping into her hair, grabbing her head to turn it so he could reach her lips. Her eyes slid close as he kissed her, his hands starting to roam around.

She had a feeling that they were moving a bit too fast when it came to the physical aspect of their relationship but it was hard to care about that when he touched her. So when he turned her around, so that she was straddling him and his hands found their way up her back underneath her shirt, she only arched into him and deepened the kiss.

Yeah, it really didn't matter if they were going too fast.

………………………

Kai started when he felt that bolt of desire shoot through their link, then hurriedly closed his eyes that were flashing red and shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Guess he should've prepared himself when he'd seen Mei sneak out.

After a few deep breaths, he was sure that his eyes weren't red anymore, so he opened them and glanced wildly around. His gaze landed on the girl sitting next to him and she blushed, burying her face in her book and glancing up at him from behind it.

He stared straight ahead and tried to keep Luhan's thoughts at a bay. He really needed to talk to his Shadow directly – he had let Sehun do the talking because he'd still felt a bit awkward around the guy but now…

He closed his eyes again and shook his head to get out of the lust that was gripping him, letting out his breath with a huff. His fingers found their way to his hair, dragging through them as he adjusted himself again into a more comfortable position.

The unnatural silence in the class registered and he glanced up. Only to find everyone, including the professor, staring at him with varying expressions of, predominantly, lustful hunger. He cleared his throat loudly and stood up.

'I'll… um, be outside.' He told his teacher, whose eyes were sort of glazed over as she stared at him looming over her.

Grabbing his bag, he stalked out of the class and heard the collective sigh they let out. There were loud clicks as the professor followed him and leaned in the doorway in an obvious attempt to show off her figure.

'I can give you private lessons later, if you want.' Her tone was highly suggestive as her eyes travelled over him. Resisting the urge to punch something, preferably Luhan's face for putting him in this situation, he forced a smile, shook his head and dashed down the corridor. Soon as he stepped outside, he teleported.

Maybe it was time he took Sehun's advice.

…………………………

Tiffany was in class when her cell vibrated. She looked around surreptitiously, then took it out and bent her head low to read the text.

Can you meet me outside?

Her heart started beating fast as she reread the text, the checked the name again. It was from Kai.

Two minutes. She texted back, fingers flying over the screen. Just as she put the cell back, her professor called her name.

She stood up, completely disoriented. 'Sir?'

'Care to explain what I just said?' he sneered.

She sighed, knowing where this was going. The guy had a grudge against her – a huge one – and only because she had refused his foolish offer to increase her grade. He had taken it as a personal offense – as he should have because that's exactly how she'd meant it – and he took extreme delight in putting her down in front of everyone.

Well, she didn't give a damn.

Because her boyfriend was waiting for her outside and his bullting only made her work easier. She gave a few snappy retorts, got a lot of crap in return and before she knew it, she was outside, the professor's angry tirade still ringing in her ears.

, she thought angrily, then shook her head and smoothed her forehead. There was no time to go check herself, she just hoped she looked good and she her hair as she nearly rushed outside, excitement building in her system.

Kai was leaning against the wall as he waited and he straightened with casual grace when he saw her. A smile spread across his features and her heart jumped.

Calm down, she told herself, trying to keep a reasonable head. Kai had asked her out, yes, but she knew she was just a rebound. Just as she knew that she shouldn't let his actions get to her.

But knowing something and following up on it are two different things. Despite her resistance, she was falling for him.

'Hi.' She smiled brightly.

'Hi.' He smiled back, leaning down to peck her cheek. She wondered how he would react if she turned her head, then gave herself a mental shake. He was taking things slow because he knew, like her, that this 'relationship' was not going anywhere.

So it was bit of a surprise when his lips landed right at the corner of . She started and looked up at him, found him staring down at her with that look – the one that had garnered him such a repute in so small a period. Heat spread across her face and she knew she was blushing.

He chuckled, straightening, and laced their fingers together, pulling her behind him. She noticed the difference in his demeanor – it was apparent in the way his shoulders seemed to have that extra slouch, the slight, but there, difference in the roll of his hips that made his walk a thing of fantasies. He was dripping appeal right now and if her heart had been beating fast before, it was downright racing now.

He always left her alone when he got like that – she had eyes, of course she noticed when he was . But he'd never taken advantage of her, something that had made her already shaky resolve to not fall for him even shakier. If he kissed her now… if they touched…

Her thoughts came to a complete halt when he stopped in front of an empty classroom. He smiled at her reassuringly, then put a hand between her shoulder blades, pushing her inside as he followed, looking around to see if anyone was looking. Satisfied, he closed the door and the lock clicked.

She gulped, heart thundering. This wasn't her first time with a guy – hell, she couldn't even count the number of times she had made out with guys or the number of guys she had made out with – but this was definitely the first time she was nervous.

He didn't attack her. Not that she had expected him to but she knew from experience that it was a possibility when guys were – and Kai obviously was a lot.

He pulled her close, his large hands warm against her back and he leaned, down, closing the distance between their lips…

………………………….

Kai couldn't do it after all.

He'd placed a chaste kiss on the corner of her lips and buried his head in her hair, instead, waiting for his body to settle down. She hadn't rushed him, hadn't protested when his grip got too tight, his obvious need pressing into her; instead, she'd let him hold her, waiting along with him.

He'd let go after some time, the desire fading away a little and then hugged her, thanking her for putting up with him. She'd patted his back, reassured him that she didn't mind, then kissed his cheek and smiled brightly up at him. 'You know, you really are a nice guy.'

He hadn't known how to reply to that. He'd thanked her, earning him a laugh and then, she'd dragged him out and taken him around her campus – a different building – and they'd whiled away their time like that and before long, the discomfort had gone away.

He was glad because he didn't want to use her.

But this only meant that his talk with Luhan needed to happen even more urgently.

And that was how they were to be found in the living room of their new headquarters, facing each other with Sehun between them. He stared from Kai to Luhan and back as the two Shadows met directly for the first time since the mating.

'So… wassup?' Luhan asked, breaking the awkward silence.

'I'm good. You?' Kai sounded equally awkward.

'Great.' Luhan nodded. There was an awkward lull.

'So… how're things with Mei?' Kai muttered to the ground.

'Great!' Luhan replied, suddenly cheerful when his mate came up. 'She's great.' He shut up, seeing the look on Kai's face.

'Good…' Kai's smile was rather forced and then, there was another awkward lull. Luhan twisted his fingers around, smiling at Sehun but looking guiltily away as his gaze landed on Kai's bent head. Kai glanced up at him, opened his mouth to say something, then shut it again and gazed at the ground as if urging it to speak for him.

There was so much tension in the air, it could be cut with a knife. And Sehun, who never did well under too much tension, cracked.

'Oh geez, you guys are worse than a newly married couple!' he exclaimed, his voice ringing in the heavy silence.

They both started and stared at him. He glared at Kai, then at Luhan, then rolled his eyes. 'Ugh!' rolling up his sleeves, he smacked the ground in the middle. 'Alright, since you're both too shy to say anything useful, I'll say it instead.' He turned to look at Luhan. 'You know you're my favorite, don't you?'

Luhan smiled. 'And you're mine!'

'Good, keep that in mind.'

He started spewing everything Kai had wanted to complain about – only in such a manner that by the time he stopped, Kai was wishing the floor would open and swallow him whole. And Luhan's face was red as beet, obviously having similar thoughts.

'Clear?' Sehun ended.

'Too clear…' Luhan shook his head, probably to get rid of some of the more inventive images Sehun had painted. Then he looked at Kai. 'Is that true?'

'It's too exaggerated…' Kai glanced up at him, face red. 'But yeah.'

'Geez, I'm sorry man.' Luhan rubbed his forehead. 'After Sehun talked to me, I tried blocking it but it's kinda hard when we… you know…'

'Yeah.' Kai stared intensely at the floor, thinking it through. It wasn't like he had learned to close off the link immediately either. It had taken him a lot of practice. Luhan obviously needed practice too but that was obviously impossible to do when he was with Mei.

An idea formed in his head – probably as ridiculous in practice as it sounded in his head but at this point, he was desperate.

'Sounds good to me.' Sehun shrugged when he outlined it. 'I just have one question – who're you going to practice on?'

Luhan and Kai stared at him. 'What?' He sat up, hands up in a defensive gesture. 'No way, no freaking way!!!'

Luhan gave him a puppy dog look. 'I thought I was your favorite…'

'Argh!' Sehun smacked his head back, then sat up stiffly. 'Fine, get it over with.'

Luhan stared at him intensely, then burst out laughing.

'What?'

'He looks nothing like Mei!' He exclaimed. Kai's face was contorted as he tried to control his own laughter. Then shook his head. 'Come on, you have to try. Just picture her clearly in your mind and project that image on to him…'

Luhan swallowed another incoming laugh, then tried to focus again. Occasionally grinning and breaking out in laughter until finally, he shook his head and got serious. Moments later, his gaze hooded and then, his eyes flashed red.

Opposite him, Kai was having a similar reaction as Luhan's desire overpowered his senses as well.

Sehun barely had time to process that their eyes were red and that it wasn't a good sign when they attacked simultaneously. Thankfully, he managed to drag himself away and was running towards the door, yelling 'I'll come back once you're normal!' over his shoulder.

Only Kai wasn't having that and he appeared right in front of him, pushing him against the wall as lust got the best of him. Sehun kneed his stomach and tried to slip away, only to yelp when Luhan's hands grabbed his .

'What the !' he kicked his shins and wiggled away, grabbing Kai's collar as he straightened. Then ducked out of the way as both Luhan and Kai jumped at him. They bumped into each other, heads knocking together and crashed down.

Groans emitted from their throats as they lay on the floor and Sehun took the opportunity to dash out of the room.

Only, his foot snagged against one of the numerous boxes cluttering the floor and he went crashing into the kitchen door.

Which had just opened up on Lay, who was coming out with a stick pocky in his mouth. He glanced up in surprise as Sehun landed against him, taking more than half of the candy stick in his mouth before their lips met.

The main door chose that moment to swing open, revealing Suho and Angel, who stared in shock at the scene in front of them. Angel covered her eyes, blushing, while Suho shook his head at them, spying Luhan and Kai on the ground and Lay, who was trying to help Sehun straighten.  

Suho glared at them. 'What were you doing?'

'Um…' Sehun began, unsure how to explain what had happened. If this got out, he would be the of jokes for a long time and his elders would – it was what he would've done.

Lay saved him. 'I was looking for someone to share this with.' He held up the other pocky sticks in his hand. 'I guess he wanted some…'

Sehun nodded empathically. 'Exactly.' He slung his arm around Lay's shoulder. 'We were sharing candy.'

Suho opened his mouth, probably to call his bluff but Angel spoke up.

Or down, since she was looking at the ground. 'I… think I'll wait outside.'

She left and Suho went after her; Sehun sighed in relief. Hopefully, Suho wouldn't bring that up again. And from now on, Kai and Luhan could handle their own matters. Shuddering, he looked down at Lay, who smiled sweetly and held up his hand. 'Want some?'

Sehun pouted a bit, wondering, then picked one and put it in his mouth again.

Let the elders handle it themselves, he would stick to eating sweets.

……………………….