Chapter 20

You Who Came From The Stars

Something's wrong, D.O. thought as he observed the scene in the living room.

Luhan was lying on his tummy, texting and occasionally grinning. That was normal. Tao and Baekhyun sniffling and cuddling while they watched a sad scene, Chanyeol frowning, trying not to cry     – also normal. Chen sleeping with his legs propped against the couch – fine.

It was Kai, he realized. Slouched against the door to his room and glaring daggers at Luhan – definitely not normal.

D.O. sat next to him, Kai scooting a little to make space for him. 'What's wrong?' Ever blunt, D.O. asked straight off.

Kai blinked. 'Nothing.'

'Don't lie to me.' D.O. patted his hand. 'Tell me what's wrong.' Kai blinked a little more and D.O. realized he was trying to stop his tears. What the hell???

'Not here.' he mumbled thickly, getting up and going inside his room. D.O was going to follow him in but Luhan stopped him.

'Something's up with him,' he told D.O. 'I'm not sure how but I think he's … maturing.'

D.O.'s wide eyes widened. 'Impossible.'

'I thought so too but he's hiding himself. From me – he's closing the link.' Luhan clarified, making D.O's eyes expand even more. 'Just… try to get it out of him, okay? He shouldn't be going through this alone.'

Nodding, D.O. went to Kai's room.

'Ya, what's wrong?' He sat beside Kai, patting the cub's head gently.

Seemed like Kai had been holding a lot in because he put his head in D.O's lap and started crying. 'I can't take this anymore!' His words were muffled.

'Can't take what anymore? Come on, I can't help until I know what you're talking about.'

Kai didn't lift his head or look up and D.O kept trying to coax him to speak. After what felt like hours, Kai quieted.

'You know you can tell me anything.' D.O whispered softly. Kai looked up at him, his face drenched with tears but eyes sparkling with challenge, daring him – a wolf's eyes. 

'I think…' Kai spoke calmly, resignedly, 'I think I've found my mate.'

……………………….

Luhan's vision had narrowed to a red field and he didn't care where he was or who came in front of him. He just wanted to get his hands around Kai's neck and beat the crap out of him.

He'd been waiting outside Kai's room, unable to enjoy his chat with Mei when his Shadow was so obviously distressed. He'd heard D.O's question and Kai's crying – held back his own tears because dammit, he didn't want to cry – and then, Kai had suddenly reopened the link he'd closed.

All of his emotions had rushed inside Luhan in a tidal wave. Luhan had realized things were bad because this much power, this much restlessness from the beast happened only after it had come into maturity.

Kai wasn't supposed be at that level, he was the second youngest. Even Tao hadn't gone through it yet.

But then, all his concern had vanished when he'd realized the real cause of Kai's distress – Mei.

'I think I've found my mate.'

His words sounded like they were coming from underwater. Luhan didn’t use his power to crash open the door – he wasn't that far gone yet – but he was really close.

'She's mine!' Luhan hissed at Kai, letting D.O. push him back.

Kai hissed right back. 'What makes you think that? She could be my mate!'

'NO!' The denial came from the depths of his soul and he attacked. D.O. put himself between them, holding Kai at bay while Sehun and Tao dragged him back.

'Let me go!' Luhan struggled against their hold but they determinedly dragged him outside.

…………………………………

It took all the others to keep Kai in check, who'd gone literally berserk, teleporting from one place to the other blindly, hitting whoever tried to stop him and eventually, D.O. had to knock him out. 

'I don’t believe it…' Baekhyun whispered into the ringing silence, looking down at Kai's unconscious body. No matter how they cut it, he was going through the first fever. 'How…?'

'More importantly, why is he going after Luhan's mate?' Chen rubbed at his mouth where Kai's wayward punches had got him. 'Can they both have the same…???' He trailed off, not sure how to phrase it.

'I don’t know.' D.O. shook his head, worry creasing his face. 'I've never heard of it but maybe…'

'I wish we had the tomes.'

'Maybe we should call Kris back.' Chanyeol suggested from the ground where he was lying to catch his breath.

Not only was Kris the only one to have fully matured and gained his powers but also one of the oldest and knowledgeable Legends. 'Good idea,' D.O. nodded. 'Where's Suho?'

'At Xiumin's, I think.'

'I'll call him then – this needs to be sorted out before they tear each other's throats out.'

………………………..

He was calm now, Luhan assured Suho that he was completely, ing calm. Now could he please teach Kai a lesson?

Suho arched a brow at his language. 'Not happening. I understand your anger…'

Luhan snorted. Right.

Suho pursed his lips but continued. 'But I think it's more important to figure out what is going on with him.'

Isn’t that obvious? That wants my girl… he dug his fingers into his palm, letting the pain bring him out of the rage.

'Luhan can stay with me while you sort this out.' Xiumin offered. 'Keeping them both around each other will be asking for trouble.'

Luhan nodded at that. Maybe if he stayed away, he'd get over his anger enough to think about Kai's problem. Suho agreed. 'Okay – and I think it would be smart if Kai doesn’t go out until he's calm – maybe stay home a couple of days?'

'Cool.' Xiumin agreed, then placed a hand on Luhan's back. 'C'mon then, let's go.'

He turned to Suho, 'It'll be best if we can get Kris to tell us how it works – I'm not as well-read as he is.'

'Yeah, I called him already.' Suho nodded. Xiumin patted Luhan's back again and pulled him up. 'Later, then.'

………………………

A/N

Oooh, do you like the twist? Tell me, tell me!!!