Chapter 41

You Who Came From The Stars

Luhan sat with his head down, staring intensely at his drink while Xiumin leaned over the counter in a regular depressed customer slash helpful bartender kind of scene. He poured another shot of cola, neat, and Luhan took it down in one like a man. He sighed, deep into his cups, as he narrated the sad story of his disastrous first date.

'And so, I said I have no feelings for Lily… and she takes it like I'm accusing her of having feelings for Kai! I meant it the other way – Kai has feelings for her but I don’t have feelings for Lily. Only, she doesn’t hear a word I say.' Luhan paused for breath, overcome. Shaking his head sympathetically, Xiumin poured another, measured shot. Luhan took that as well.

'Then, somehow we're all out fighting and she tells me I'm flirting with girls and I say she's the one with hands on other guys.'

Xiumin clucked his tongue in disapproval, pouring out another shot. Luhan looked at him pathetically.

'I lost it, man! It's just something that'd bothered me once or twice but I never, you know, thought about it because I know she's not like that. But I still said it!' He buried his head between his hands, the epitome of self-blame and guilt. 'What do I do?' He mumbled, depressed.

Xiumin shook his head helplessly. It was a harsh thing to say. And what for? The more he thought about it, the sillier their fight seemed. Sadly, he couldn't tell that to Luhan if he was to fulfill his role as the sympathetic bartender. He sighed, leaning back.

Lily, who'd been dealing with the customers while Xiumin tended to Luhan, slid in beside him behind the counter and put the trays in the cabinet underneath before straightening. The shop was momentarily devoid and she finally had some free time.

'Man, I feel so bad.' She patted Luhan's, thankfully, healed hands. 'I shouldn't have offered you any advice.'

Luhan looked at her, smiling sadly. 'It's not your fault.'

'The two of you need to talk, you know.' She told Luhan sternly. 'You can't just sit here and wallow and cry over things that went wrong.'

'I'm not crying.' Luhan mumbled, his drenched face belying his words. Lily ignored him.

'You need to talk to her.'

'How?' Luhan buried his head again. 'She slapped my hand away. She didn't even look at me even though I carried her all the way back to her dorm!'

'Look, she was upset that time. I bet she's missing you right now.' She looked at him. 'Did you call her?'

Luhan shook his head. 'She said she wouldn’t talk to me.'

'Texted her?'

Another shake. Lily knocked his head. 'What is wrong with you?'

'What?' Luhan looked lost.

'You're going to stop talking just because she said so?' She snorted. 'Come on, she was angry! Of course she said she didn't want to talk. I bet she's just staring at her phone, waiting for your call. Why're you wasting time here? Call her! Apologize if you think you were wrong!'

Luhan looked a hopeful but wary. Lily glanced at Xiumin and suddenly inspired, added. 'That's what Minnie-poo does when I'm angry with him!'

Xiumin choked on the cola shot he'd taken in Luhan's stead. Coughing and eyes watering, he glared at her but Luhan was looking at her like she was his savior. 'Really?'

'Absolutely!' She nodded enthusiastically, ignoring Xiumin and patting Luhan's hand again. 'Go on, call her right now. We'll be here!'

Luhan dug out his cell phone, holding it like it was the most sacred thing in the world. 'I'm going to call her.' he stated, staring at the phone with a terrified expression.

'Yes, you are.' Lily encouraged. 'Just a single click and you can hear her voice.'

'Yeeaah…' Luhan's fingers fairly shook as he dialed, then waited with an expectantly for her to pick up the phone. His face fell when she didn't answer. 'She's not answering…' he looked so sad, even Xiumin's heart melted.

'Maybe she's busy.'

'Yeah, probably.' Lily conceded. 'Tell you what, you keep trying. She'll answer eventually.'

Luhan nodded and sat there, repeatedly calling her cell phone. Now, a trickle of new customers was coming in, so Xiumin and Lily stepped out. Xiumin glared at her again. 'Minnie-poo? Seriously?'

'They think we're all but married.' She bristled right back. 'If you thought for a second I'd let that go without any consequences…'

Xiumin shook his head. 'Still… Minnie-poo?' he sounded aghast.

'Consider that equivalent to quarter of the favors you owe me.' She told him.

They started working, occasionally glancing at Luhan who was still busy with the phone. After continuous tries, someone obviously answered because Luhan suddenly straightened.

'Hello?' The voice on the other side wasn't Mei and his face fell.

'Hello…um, this is Luhan. Where's Mei?'

'Oh hey Luhan!' The girl sounded excited but then hushed her tone a little, as if she knew about their situation. Probably her roommate, Tiffany. 'I'm sorry but Mei left her phone behind – she went out for a walk some time ago and…'

'Oh.' Luhan wondered for a while. 'Where did she go?'

'Oh, to the --- park, I think.' She told him. 'Hey, can I say something?'

'Hmm?'

'You really shouldn't call her easy.' She told him earnestly. 'I mean, I know Mei seems a little flighty but she's really really sincere and she's crazy about you. Like seriously.'

'Really?' Luhan cheered up considerably at this bit of news.

'Yeah but she's heartbroken. Because you didn't call… oh man, she just had to leave the phone behind…'

'It's okay.' Luhan assured her, suddenly very optimistic. 'I'll see her in person.'

'That's even better!' She cheered. 'Can I tell you something? I'm a big fan of yours, so even though I'm with her and you were a jerk, I'm totally rooting for you! Go get her!'

'Thanks.' Cheered by the enthusiasm despite her statement, Luhan said goodbye. Well, looked like he had a visit to make.

…………………

A/N

Updating because I'm so freaking tired of writing a damn research prorposal and I need to do something before I crash :/ Ugh, I'm wondering what did I do to deserve this torture *sighs* anyways, enjoy this - probably will update next weekend, so enjoy in the meantime - maybe you guys can tell me what you think is going to happen next ? Just throw about speculations, eh?  :) and wish me luck  - I so need it right now.