Chapter 69

You Who Came From The Stars

Lay was lost.

He'd been with the others when Suho had met up with Angel and he'd oohed and aahed over their sweet interaction. But after that, he had no idea where they went.

He'd stopped to look at some interesting candies and then, brought some potato chips for snacking. When he'd looked around, he was alone.

He went from stall to stall, looking for his group but they weren't around. Then he bumped into some girls because he wasn't looking where he was going and bowed deeply to apologize. They seemed to find that very charming for some reason and asked to take pictures with him.

He agreed, accepted the Mickey Mouse ears they gave him and then politely offered to take group shots for them. After graciously waving them off, he wandered around exploring the fascinating array of stalls. The funfair was always fun.

He was completely unprepared for the robbers who ambushed him, then dragged him to The Bail Jail – apparently, someone had nominated his name and he needed to pay his bail to get out. Luckily, one of his music teachers arrived on the spot and bailed him out, then took him for a treat. They got busy discussing his music project and how it was going – 'Very well but there's this one part I'm confused about…' – and his teacher agreed to take a look at it. Then some other colleagues showed up and Lay said goodbye, wandering off once again.

Then, his eyes landed on the mysterious, shrouded stall. The Divining Eye, a large board propped next to it proclaimed. 'Learn all the secrets you want to know… past, present or future, nothing is hidden from the Seer's Eye.'

Sounded interesting. Lay lifted the see through purple curtain and entered.

……………………

This is not good.

Luhan was just staring at her – which would've been flattering if he didn't make it look like he was seeing a ghost. She touched her hair self-consciously and wondered how the hell to break the awkward silence stretching like so many miles between them.

'I heard you had a surgery…' she glanced at his hands and winced at the bandages. Worry made her forget her nervousness momentarily. 'That looks bad… what happened?'

Luhan didn't reply, still looking like he'd seen a ghost. Then, inhaling hard and holding it – as if she was stinky or something, he started backing up, obviously desperate for escape.

Her heart broke and she resisted the urge to tear up. She'd cried enough these past four days.

She hadn't come here expecting everything to be alright but honestly, the way they had been, she hadn't expected him to want to ditch her soon as he saw her either. Yes, it was awkward and she'd expected nothing less. But he could at least pretend to be happy to see her.

Just then, there was a slight tremor and the ground shook. , no! Earthquakes were her worst fear.

Her knees went terribly weak, and she would've collapsed but for Luhan – who'd first crashed into her and then grabbed her waist to stop her from falling.

Glad to know that he didn't despise her enough to let her fall, she put her hands on his shoulders to regain her balance. And soon as she straightened, he let her go like his hands had burnt.

She tried not to take that personally, given that he'd just had surgery, his hands bandaged and he was still taking time to save her – why did he do things that made her fall for him more when he obviously no longer wanted to be with her????

Luhan was looking around, still holding his breath and turning slightly blue because of it, obviously seeking a way out. Great, now he didn't even want to breathe the same air as her!

This time, tears did come but she blinked them away immediately.

As if the earthquake alone wasn't enough, there was an almighty flash of lightening and a crack of thunder, so loud that it made her ears whistle and her heart jump into . Normally, she'd grab onto the person next to her and huddle until it passed but given that the person was Luhan, she only grabbed the railing and closed her eyes.

And started praying fervently as the ground shook harder, as if in response. She bit her lip to stop her terrified yelp from escaping her lips, then shuddered as a fast gust nearly landed her on the ground.

Felt grateful – Why is he doing this? her heart cried – when Luhan put his arm around her and pulled her into his body to help stabilize her.

Before her heart had time to settle – earthquakes and thunder and Luhan's body, she found, was the perfect recipe for potential heart attacks, but that apparently, wasn't enough to satisfy whoever had decided to punish her like this – there was a blast, right at her feet and she jumped a foot in the air with a scream.

Then a veritable rain of small firecrackers started landing at her feet and she was dancing, literally dancing, to avoid getting hit. Luhan, beside her, was going from blue to purple as he started jumping around as well to dodge the tiny explosions.

If the situation wasn't so terrible and her heart wasn't breaking, she might've found this funny.

Thankfully, the heavens apparently decided she'd had enough punishment for one day and the fireworks stopped. A few seconds later, the rumble died and the ground stood still.

Her legs not strong enough to support her any longer, she sank to the ground, head between knees, to catch her breath and hopefully settle her heart. Luhan was bent over right beside her, panting – apparently, he couldn’t dance and hold his breath at the same time.

Then, he straightened and taking another huge breath, ostensibly to hold it, offered her his hand. She swallowed the lump in at the sight of his bandages and grabbed his arm instead to stand up, then wobbled as blood suddenly rushed down and made her dizzy.

He, like the knight he was, put out his arm to stop her from collapsing and their eyes met.

And she felt her the whole world stop.

Like literally, stop. For a moment, all sounds died and everything stilled.

She gazed up at him in wonder as a halo appeared around him – like an angel come down from heavens.

Anyone who saved her from earthquakes and thunderstorms was a hero in her book but this was Luhan, so naturally, her overwrought nerves were making her hallucinate.

In multiple modalities, she thought, as a gentle wind blew, carrying soft music and making his hair fall into his eyes. She had the breathtaking vision of him shaking his slightly sweaty hair out his slightly sweaty face, drops trickling down his neck…

Then a rainbow appeared out of nowhere, arching from his shoulders to over his head, sparkling fairies and butterflies floating in her periphery and she blinked in surprise.

All the sounds came rushing back into her ears and whatever spell had held them bound, broke. He let go of her and backed away, and awkwardness slammed back in place, stretching like so many miles between them.

……………………….

Luhan was going crazy and not because she was staring at him with awe, like he was the most beautiful thing she'd seen. Although it was playing a big part.

No, he was going crazy because even though he was holding his breath and trying his hardest not to inhale her potent – too potent, it shouldn’t be like that, why is it like that??? – scent, she was all he could smell.

The intoxicating perfume was driving the beast crazy and he was quite sure he would start drooling and foaming at the mouth, snarling and snapping – and probably jump her - if he unlocked his limbs from their current position.

He shook his head, cursing his brothers' cruel sense of humor and ill timing, as a light wind blew his hair into his eyes. Sweat coating his forehead – with the combined effort of holding his breath, holding her up and dancing to avoid Chanyeol's sparklers – dripped down his face, getting into his eyes. He blinked and saw her blinking up in surprise.

Seriously? He saw the butterflies and tiny Tinkerbells dropping fairy dust over his shoulders in his periphery. Baekhyun's work. No wonder she'd been staring at him like that – he'd probably put him in a halo or something.

What the hell was wrong with them? Their sense of humor had always been a bit cracked – finding the most inappropriate things funny was almost an art with them – but did they really feel no pity for him? Here he was, going crazy trying to keep his hands to himself and not jump her, to hell with Kai's claim; and they were pushing him eagerly over the edge.

Although, knowing them, it was probably an effort to help him. How this was supposed to help him get over her, though, he had no idea. And he'd deal with them for pushing him like this later. Right now, he needed to get away.

He let go of her and backed up a couple of steps, feeling like at the hurt on her face when he did. Biting his lip, he looked around.

And saw the group of pranksters who were eagerly watching them, a bit surprised and rather hurt when his eyes landed on Sehun – who ducked out of sight immediately. He could understand the quartet and Tao was probably a victim too, being dragged around with them but he'd thought Sehun would be on his side. After all, they were the closest. Guess he should've figured it out when he'd felt the wind.

Sighing, he put a hand on the railing and jumped to the other side.

'Seriously?' Mei sounded hurt and angry and he froze. 'You're going to run away?'

He swallowed – then wished he hadn't because now he'd inhaled another whiff of her scent – and slowly turned around, trying to prepare himself.

She still hit him like a blow straight to his heart. Why did she have to look like this when he was trying to get away? Did she really have to make it so hard for him to forget? And why the hell was his beast not getting it? They weren't meant to be, why did it keep snarling and demanding that he stake his claim? And what the hell was wrong with Kai, letting her seek him out? Was he really that confident in his claim?

Something tried to register in his brain but he pushed it away – he avoided thinking about Kai and Mei together, so the urge to kill wouldn't overpower him.

And tried to form a coherent answer. Failed.

Tears filled her eyes but she blinked them away. 'At least tell me why.' Her voice was a broken whisper. 'Why are you doing this? If it's because of the kiss…' she swallowed before continuing, 'It wasn't intentional, it was just a mistake. A stupid accident!'

Luhan unlocked his tongue, dying a little as the words left his mouth. 'Accident or not, it can't be undone.'

She recoiled as if he'd slapped her. 'You're really going to leave me because of that?' He didn't say anything. Anger took place of tears. 'You jerk!!!'

He didn't move out of the way when she threw the box at him – chocolates – and watched her run away, bumping into people, feeling all the energy he thought he'd regained drain out of him.

He blinked when his eyes blurred and didn't react when Tiffany, appearing out of nowhere like a crazed wildcat and being barely restrained by Sehun, slapped his face. He merely sighed, not noticing the sting of the slap or the scratches she was now bestowing over him.

Finally Sehun managed to pull her off but Tiffany hissed at him as well, 'Keep your hands to yourself!'

'Jerk!' she spat at Luhan, then hissed at Sehun again before dashing off behind Mei.

Sehun tried to help Luhan when he stumbled but he snarled at him. Sehun backed off, looking alarmed.

She was gone now, really gone. He'd put the last nail in the coffin of their relationship, killing it with his own hands and now, he had nothing left. He snarled at Sehun because he was responsible for making him feel this pain again. When he'd finally pushed it back.

His heart was aching so much, he was a giant throbbing ball of hurt and he didn't bother to restrain his anger as he turned to the group who'd eagerly pushed him towards the edge. Well, he was over now. And they could pay the price.

He attacked.

……………………

A/N

Because I didn't update yesterday :P but still, my question remains - why don't you guys comment? Really?