Chapter 40

You Who Came From The Stars

Mei sighed into the water, sinking more comfortably in the tub and stretched her legs. Having spent the entire morning and most of the afternoon in fits of crying and depressed mumbles, she'd finally taken Tiffany's advice and got into the bath.

It was relaxing. Physically at least.

Tiffany knocked on the door, holding her phone. 'You feel like talking now?'

Mei thought for a while, then nodded.

'Okay.' She stretched her arm and took the phone.

'Thanks.' She told Tiffany sincerely. Her roommate had been truly supportive and considerate and the best friend a girl could ask for in such times. She sniffed, tears coming in her eyes. She blinked them away and answered without looking at the id.

'Hey.' The smooth voice on the other end wasn't Sehun – whom she had been expecting, given he'd called her so many times already.

It was Kai.

'Hi.'

There was an awkward silence as she wondered what to say. This was the first time he was calling her.

'Um…' Kai sounded as uncomfortable as she felt. Especially because her mind had chosen that moment to flash their hug through her head. She suddenly dipped lower, ridiculously self-conscious about the fact that she was buck underneath the bubbles.

It's just pheromones… she told herself firmly, ignoring the sudden flush in her cheeks. That happen to travel over the phone? Her mind whispered slyly. She shook her head – obviously, she was in no condition to think. Thankfully, Kai spoke up.   

'I… uh, sort of heard you weren't feeling well…' he continued and she thought he might be fidgeting. 'Are you okay?'

She was touched by his concern. 'I'm fine.' She told him. 'Much better now.'

'That's great… uh, that's all, I guess.' He sounded even more uncomfortable and she smiled, somehow charmed by this sudden display of awkwardness. He had such a charismatic, mysterious aura around him, it was easy to forget he was actually rather shy. 'Um… later, then.'

'Thanks for calling.' She told him sincerely. 'It means a lot. Good bye.'

'Kay.' He sounded relieved. 'Bye.'

Mei stared at the phone for some time. She knew Luhan would've done the same thing before – called her if he heard she was sick. But now, they were fighting and he hadn't even texted her, let alone call. And she had another guy calling her instead.

The phone fell on the floor as she buried her face in her hands and cried.

……………………

Angel stood behind her mother, overcome with shyness as Suho made his way across the driveway, looking, as usual, like he'd stepped out of a magazine. She touched her hair self-consciously, wondering if she really did look okay. Her mother had assured her she did but seeing him was making her nervous.

She felt, like she had been doing for some time now, the awe he felt when his eyes landed on her. His steps faltered a little before he started moving again and Angel ducked her head again. Suho stopped in front of her parents and greeted them, polite as ever and immediately charmed them. She didn't hear what he was saying though, too busy casting him sideway glances and blushing like a fire engine. When her father took him inside, her mother elbowed her.

'He's so nice!' she gushed in a whisper. 'And so handsome! Aw Angel, I'm so happy for you!' she gave her a hug, kissing her forehead – thus smearing her recently applied lipstick on Angel's forehead. Angel hugged her back, not noticing it.

When they both entered the living room, Suho glanced up, his eyes seeking hers – then a fond smile spread on his face. She bit her lip and sat herself in the farthest corner of the room, too shy to actually sit in front of him. She didn’t hear most of the talk that was going around in the living room and didn't really taste anything that her parents had prepared in a hurry.

She stared at her plate, hyper aware of his every movement – her parents had 'subtly' seated her right in front of him. If she looked up, her eyes met his; when she passed the food around, her fingers brushed with his. Angel didn't know if this was blessing or a torture but she was really happy that everyone was getting along.

They moved back to the living room after dinner and talked for a long time while Angel sat uncomfortably, blushing whenever their eyes accidentally met. A major reason for that, perhaps, was because she could constantly sense his desire to touch her, hold her. That made keeping a clear head rather hard.

When Suho finally stood up to leave, her father walked him to the door. Her mother, who'd been holding herself back all this time, gave her a tight, bone squeezing hug, dotting her face with kisses. 'My baby's all grown up!' she sobbed at one point. 'Honey, he's such a nice guy – I'm sure he'll keep you happy!'

Angel didn't have the heart to tell her mom they weren’t getting married – they'd been together for only a month or so – but a girl could hope, along with her mom. She hugged her back. Then, Merissa pushed her towards the door.

'Go on, see him off. I'll call your father back!'

She smiled her thanks, then went to the door.

'Matt, honey!' Her mom called. 'Will you come here a moment?'

Her father saw her, smiled and turned to Suho. 'It's been a pleasure – you should come around more often.' He shook his hand enthusiastically.

'Honey!' Her mom called again.

'Coming!' Her dad called back, then smiled apologetically. 'I'm afraid I have to leave. Angel will see you off.'

Patting her head, he winked and went to the living room where her mother was waiting.

Angel swallowed, losing her nerve now that they were alone. Thankfully, Suho had no such problems. He grabbed her hand. 'Walk with me!' He smiled, nodding towards his car.

As they started down the driveway, Matt smiled at his wife. 'Merry, you realize you smeared your lipstick all over her face, don't you?'

Merissa placed a hand over her lips. 'Oh, I totally forgot! Crap!'

Matt laughed, hugging her, then dragged her towards the living room window. 'We need to keep an eye on the kids.' She giggled next to him. 'Of course!'

Leaning their knees on the sofa, they lifted the curtain and peeked out.  

…………………..

Suho was regretting his decision to meet with her parents. He should have just called her outside and whisked her away.

Not that he didn't like her parents – they were nice people and obviously happy for their daughter. Suho had the feeling that they let her do whatever she wanted. And they obviously liked him as well – despite the harsh grilling her father had given him, trying to figure out what his intentions were.

Nope, it was just that she was looking so damn beautiful, all dressed up with her usually messy hair neatly and artistically styled and her wide, beautiful eyes completely visible since she'd forgone the glasses in favor of contacts. He liked her usual clumsy dress-up – she looked infinitely adorable like that and he loved all the little gestures she made when her hair was escaping its confines, or her glasses slipped down her nose.

But now, even covered in lipstick smears from her mom, she looked like a goddess come to earth. With the whatever-it-was-called dress hugging her curves lovingly and her hair styled and face made up, it drove home the fact that she wasn’t just an adorable girl but a grown woman. His woman.    

And sitting in the same room with her, unable to move to her side or hold her was driving him crazy. Thankfully, her mother had called her father back, leaving them alone. Finally. He wanted to crush her against him until no distance remained and never let go.

He couldn't, though, because he was sure her parents were peeking from behind the curtains as they walked towards his car, parked in the street. Well, he could wait a few more hours – how long was it before the next morning arrived anyway? He'd asked her parent's permission to take her out – readily granted, of course – and he'd show her exactly how beautiful he found her then.

'You look stunning today.' He told her, smiling as she blushed.

'So do you.' Her comment, low but un-stuttered, made him smile.

'I doubt that.' He turned to face her as they stopped in front of his car. 'No one's dotted my face with kisses.'

She blinked, then her eyes widened, one hand touching her cheek. It came away smeared. 'Oh!'

Well, he couldn't not kiss her when she did that. He swooped in and placed a chaste kiss on her lips. When he straightened, she rose on tiptoes, trying to keep contact. He smiled. 'Tell your parents I had a great time today.'

She nodded and he lifted her hand to his lips. 'Wait for me, then. I'll whisk you away tomorrow.'

She nodded again, blushing. One kiss was too less; he glanced at the window – the curtains shifted suddenly as they were put back in place. Good.

He gave her another, harder kiss, barely resisting the urge to crush her against him. He wouldn’t be able to let go. When they parted, he whispered. 'Think lots and lots of bad thoughts about me!'

Smirking at her shocked face, he forced himself to move and get inside the car. She stood in the driveway as he started the car and waved. Waving back, he drove away.

Angel sighed, feeling dreamy and full of happiness.

Inside the living room, Merissa leaned against Matt's shoulder, feeling his arms wrapped around her. 'Oh to be young and in love…' she sighed.

'Indeed…' Matt sighed back. They watched as their daughter stood staring after his car quite some time after he was gone.

……………………

A/N

Yaaay, double update :3 and can I just say it?? Cheese~~~