Chapter 4

You Who Came From The Stars

Some days after that…

'Pop quiz! Take out a couple of sheets and your pens and put everything else away… you too, Sehun.' Their English teacher snapped at Sehun.

He stuck his tongue out at her back. 'I saw that!' She reprimanded, throwing a chalk at his head. 'Put your book away, now. Okay class, I'll dictate the questions.'

Sehun looked at Kai for help but Kai wasn't paying attention to him, too busy noting down the questions. Sighing, Sehun started writing too, wondering how the hell he'd pass this quiz. Suho would kill him if his grades didn't improve this semester. And it had to be English… he pouted at the paper, my worst subject.

He wondered if anyone would show him the answers. Not likely though. Being a back bencher had its disadvantages in times like this – all the smart snobs sat in front, so it was people like him in the back.

Of course, there was Kai who just had to revise every lesson. But he never let Sehun cheat. Biting his lower lip, Sehun looked at the teacher. She was walking around the class, slowly making her way to every nook and cranny. She'd take her time getting here, which meant if he wanted to look around, now was the time.

He looked around and his gaze landed on a likely target – the transfer student Mei. She was smart and she sat in the back – ergo, not a snob. He knew from experience that his puppy dog look worked wonders on girls, so he tried to get her attention. 'Psst… Mei!' He looked up hurriedly, then bent on his paper.

Mei looked up, looking a little confused; he hissed again. 'Here.'

She rose her brow questioningly. 'What's the answer to question one?' He gave her his best puppy face and leaned to the side, trying to peek at her paper. She looked at him coolly and he thought she'd turn away, or alert the teacher. But then, she grinned mischievously and put a finger to her lips.

Leaning back, she casually turned her paper in his direction – he could see the answers printed out in her neat script. She tapped on the first question, keeping an eye out for the teacher while he copied it.

When the teacher approached their corner, they both pretended to read their answers and soon as she turned back, Mei showed him the other answers. Wow, she's really cool.

Most girls were quite stingy when it came to tests – they didn't want to share their knowledge. But Mei wasn't like that; she helped him complete the test, taking care not to get caught by their teacher.

When teacher collected their tests, she glanced at Sehun's answers. And stared at him suspiciously at finding them correct. Sehun smiled his most innocent smile. 'It was really easy, teacher. I think I’m getting better at English.'

She frowned and sniffed and strutted out of the class. Sehun stretched his arms over his head, cracking his neck, then stood up. 'Yo! Mei!' He called after Mei, who was getting up to leave for the next class.

She glanced up at him. 'Yeah?'

'Thanks for today.' He smiled charmingly.

Mei blinked in surprise – Sehun's cold demeanor changed completely when he smiled. 'Sure, not a problem.' She bent to lift her bag from the floor.

'Guess I owe you one now.' He leaned a hip against her desk and handed her journal when she straightened. 'Hey, it's not a big deal.' She told him. He ignored her. 'Tell you what, I'll sneak you in the tryouts. We'll be even then.'

'Are you even listening?' He only grinned, obviously pleased with his own suggestion. Mei sighed. 'What tryouts?'

'For the advanced performance classes – if we pass, we'll move to the next building.' He bit on the apple he took out his pocket. Then he offered it to her. 'No thanks. But why would you sneak me in there? I'm not applying for performance arts.'

'Of course not, idiot.' He laughed. 'You'll see me dance.' He thumbed his chest; like it was a privilege to see him dance. She stared at him to see if he was joking but he looked entirely serious – if childish as he took another bite out of the apple.

'Oookaay…' she dragged it out, hoping for more of an explanation but apparently, that was it.

 'Alright then, Mei!' he patted her shoulder. 'Thanks again. You keep helping me like that and I'll keep sneaking you to interesting places.'

'I don't…want…' she trailed off as he trotted off, thumping Kai's back before going out of class.

As soon as he left, a gaggle of girls gathered around her. 'Ohmy, Sehun was talking to you! What did he say?'

She looked at them, then shrugged them off. 'Nothing. Just stuff.'

One girl sighed dreamily. 'Imagine the Ice Prince actually smiling at you!' She pretended to swoon. The other girls laughed and joked around.

Shaking her head, Mei headed towards her next class.

…………………….

Kai looked at Sehun. 'What were you guys talking about?'

'Oh nothing – I was telling her I'd sneak her to the tryouts.'

'Why?'

'Because, unlike you, she helped me when I needed it.' He punched Kai's arm. 'Why do you turn into such a stick in the mud, huh? You wanna see me chewed out by Suho?'

'No, I want you to actually study instead of just winging it in every test.' Kai punched him back. 'And I still don't get what that has to do with sneaking her to the tryouts.'

'So she'll see me perform, of course.' Sehun looked like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

'I swear all that praise has gone to your head.' Kai knocked on Sehun's head. 'What makes you think she wants to see you perform?'

Sehun looked confused. 'Girls like my dance.'

Kai shook his head – it was hopeless. 'I'm sure they do. Well, c'mon – Tao's waiting.'

They ran towards the exit.

………………….

Luhan sensed her coming from a distance and stopped mid-run.

'What're you doing?? Pass it!!!' His team mate yelled but Luhan was distracted by the strange scent that was coming from her direction. It was both irritating and intoxicating – he wanted to be near her but his hackles were rising as if to counter a threat.

Now that he had his guard up, he didn't exactly break out in to growling or teeth-baring. Instead, he focused on his breathing and tried to stop his vision from tunneling. The sounds that had faded into an unintelligible garble came back to him in a rush and his vision cleared up.   

Whoever was the owner of that scent had gone away – or moved in a different direction. He came back to his senses immediately. One of the other guys tried to tackle him but Luhan easily managed to keep control of the ball and passed it to his friend.

While the other players ran after the ball, Luhan glanced around, wondering who that scent belonged to. There were a lot of girls gathered around the field, watching them play. A few waved at him and he waved back.

It wasn't any of them.

……………………

The next couple of weeks were extremely tiresome for Luhan. Not because of the night duty – which was tough but nothing he hadn't done before. In fact, pulling all-nighters was child's play. It was that tempting whiff, the seductive scent that tired him.

He would be going around, minding his own business and suddenly, that scent would come out of nowhere and he'd be fighting off the urge to run after it and find its owner. It was driving him wild, having to manage his baser instincts while dealing with other daily activities.  

He messed up his football practice more than once because of that; every time he'd stare around wildly, trying to figure out who was it but the large crowd often gathered there made it difficult. Every once in a while, a whiff would drift in from the open window in his classroom and he'd nearly tear off after it.

It was making him crazy.

Sadly, he wasn't the only one being affected by his sudden mood swings. Poor Kai, his Shadow, was starting to feel the effects of his raging emotions. He was getting more irritable and sensitive – moodier – much like Luhan himself.

Unlike Luhan, though, Kai was well aware of the cause of this trouble. Since he was so attuned to Luhan's emotional state, his own body displayed similar reactions – like getting all hot and bothered whenever he came in contact with that scent. And it came from his classmate, Mei.

So, yeah, Kai knew what Luhan's trigger was – he saw her every day – but Luhan, apparently, still hadn't figured it out. He went around with a crazed look in his eyes, looking moody and mysterious and making girls fawn over him all the more.

Kai considered telling Luhan about it but the few times he'd brought up the topic, Luhan had dismissed it. Perhaps he took offense at the way she was making him lose control or maybe, he just didn’t want to admit his weakness to anyone – he could be weirdly sensitive like that.

It went on like that until the day for the tryouts came. And then, Luhan found her – at the most inconvenient time.

……………………

Bonus Story: EXO Journal: A Voyage through the Galaxy

Scene 2: In which Sehun really doesn't give a damn

Kai: Sehun, what's this?

Sehun (not looking up from his cellphone on which he's playing a game): I don't know.

Kai (s the journal in his face): Why's this in my bag?

Sehun pushes Kai's hand away and tries to get back to his game - he's on the verge of making a new record. He ignores Kai, who shrugs and throws the journal out of his bag and in front of Sehun's feet. Sehun kicks it away as he suddenly straightens, racing fast towards the end. He yells as the game ends, breaking the high score record. 

Sehun (raising his arms in delight): Yes! Yes, I did it! 

Suho, who'd left Sehun with Kai in hopes that he would study, peeks inside the room and sees the journal thrown unceremoniously against the huge mirror while Sehun is dancing with his legs in the air - probably celebrating a new record, he thinks. He clears his throat which doesn't work, so he knocks loudly on the door. Kai glances up at him but Sehun has yet to pay attention. 

Suho: Sehun?

Suho (louder): Sehun! 

Sehun (yelps as he realizes he's been caught): I'm studying, I'm studying! 

Suho (not believing that lie for a minute): Did you write in the journal? 

Sehun (blankly): Journal?

Suho nods to the mirror and Sehun spies it by the mirror. He is confused as to how it got there - as far as he remebers, he'd thrown it somewhere inside his room. He bites his lips, wondering how to get rid of the thing once and for all. Suho, meanwhile, has entered the room and picks up the journal, dropping it in Sehun's lap. 

Suho (authoritatively): Write now.

Sehun (snorting): Right now? 

Suho (not amused by the pun): I mean it. I'm not leaving unless you do.

Sehun (rolling his eyes): Okay, I got it.  Get off my case, will you? 

Sehun (digging through Kai's bag for a pen): Stop crying already, I'll write! 

Sehun (finally finding a pen): Okay, here goes. 

Sehun starts to write slowly and torturously, mouthing the spellings. Suho watches him for a while, determined not to move until he's done but Sehun is going so slow, it's painful to watch and after a while, he gives up. Nodding at Kai, he backs out. Sehun glances up as soon as the door closes and straightens with a groan. 

Sehun (throwing the pen at Kai): Man, that was tough!

Kai (busy with his work): ...

Sehun (makes a face at his bent head and picks up his phone to play again, humming tunelessly): ~~~I'm y and I know it~~~

The journal sits beside him, open the page he's written on. It goes like this:  

Dear Diary, I really don't give a damn.