Chapter 3

You Who Came From The Stars

When Luhan and Lay entered the parlor, almost half of the Legends were already there.

Suho was at the counter ordering, Xiumin was drinking coffee, Tao fawning over his 'pretty' ice cream scoop and Sehun, sipping his choco-bubble tea coolly. Kai was just leaning back in his chair, looking bored. He looked up as Luhan approached and nodded.

He knows, Luhan thought. Kai's eyes, already too serious for his age, were full of shadows.

Lay introduced Angel to the group and then sat at another table with her. Luhan shook his head – this was his solution. Angel, who'd gone pale seeing their group, calmed down noticeably when she saw she wasn't being forced to sit with them. After a while, Lay joined them.

'What about her?' Xiumin asked, nodding toward Angel who was poring over papers spread on the table in front of her.

'Hmm? What about who?'

Luhan knocked on his head. 'Hello, anybody there?'

'What is this?' Suho had returned. 'Why are all of you skipping classes?'

'Pfft. The class was so boring, my brain would've melted if Tao hadn't...'

Tao coughed loudly, bumping his elbow in Sehun's stomach, effectively stopping him. Both stared at Suho in apprehension.  

Suho glared at them from across the table. 'I warned you both not to…' he began but Lay interrupted with loud, utterly random 'Playing music makes me really happy!'

There was a moment of silence as this registered, then they all dissolved into gales of laughter. Kai, normally more composed than the rest, was slapping his thighs and kicking his legs while Sehun was literally rolling on the floor, Xiumin right next to him. Luhan was laughing so hard, tears had come in his eyes. Suho tried to maintain his angry face but Lay looked so unruffled and unaware, that it was irresistible. Suho started laughing with the rest of them.

It took them quite some time to settle down and even after that, they kept breaking into laughter time after time. 'You're a genius!' Sehun, ever the rude cub, slapped Lay's back. 'A genius!'

Suho let them go with a simple 'This is the last time' and turned to Kai. 'I didn't expect you to join them… didn't you have a test today?'

'That'll be later – I'll go back.' Suho turned to Luhan. 'Need I ask what you two are doing here?'

'I brought him here.' Luhan nodded towards Lay who was staring in space, absentmindedly the ice-cream off the spoon. 'I… ahem… well, uh… that is…' Luhan wondered how to tell Suho the beast showing signs of awakening.

'He is getting restless…' Lay spoke hypnotically, still staring in space. 'The spirit is rising, the beast awakening… there's something in the atmosphere, you know… it'll get to all of us, sooner or later. This is nature's way of preparing us for the Evil…'

They stared at him, surprised into silence. Lay blinked, coming back from wherever he was. 'What?' he asked, confused.

'Did you see something?' Suho asked, leaning forward. Maybe it was his power or simply because he never stopped his mind from wandering, but sometimes Lay could see into the future.

'See what?'

'What did you mean by what you said?'

Lay looked at Suho, his eyes surprisingly shrewd. 'Maybe he,' Lay nodded towards Luhan, 'isn't the only one who should be worried. You're dangerously close yourself.'

Suho looked surprised. 'Close to what?'

'Ask Luhan.' Then, abruptly, 'Oh, I need to go to the restroom… excuse me…'

'What? Hey stop! Lay…' But Lay was gone.  

'What the hell did he mean?' Suho looked at Luhan. 'What's going on?'

'Uh…' Luhan jerked his chin in a helpless gesture.  'I guess he meant our beasts will awaken, like Kris's…'

'Huh.' Suho frowned. 'He could've just said that instead of twisting it around like that.' Then his gaze sharpened on Luhan. 'You're having trouble?'

Luhan sighed. Maybe this was Lay's way of helping him but seriously… 'I guess…'

Suho frowned even harder and opened his mouth but Luhan stalled him. 'Look, it isn't that big a deal, okay? So far, I've only felt a stirring… sort of… tell him Kai!'

Kai gave him a grave look. 'It's a lot more than just stirring.' Luhan glared at him but Kai continued. 'It nearly took over, just this morning... it's not because the beast is too powerful, though.' He added, 'More like Luhan wasn't prepared and it sort of ambushed him…' he trailed off thoughtfully.

'What about you?' Suho asked Kai.

'I'm good. I just feel it when he's overwhelmed.'

'I'm sitting right here, you know.' Luhan stated sardonically before turning to Suho. 'You shouldn’t worry about that – like Kai said, I wasn't prepared. Now I know, so I won't be surprised.'

'You sure?' Suho stared from Luhan to Kai and back. 'It might be a good thing – we all need our powers – but have you figured out why it's suddenly acting up?'

'No.'

'Maybe.' Kai's statement had Luhan turning around. 'What?'

'Or… make that no…'

His evasive answer didn’t satisfy either Luhan or Suho but they knew Kai wouldn’t say anything else.

Just then, Lay came back. 'This place is really nice. Xiumin, you should tell the manager I said that.'

Xiumin raised a brow. 'Lay, I am the manager.'

'Oh? Well, this place is really nice.' Lay nodded, before turning to Suho. 'Have you decided who to send ahead?'

'Kris volunteered to go alone but I'm sending Chen and Baekhyun with him.'

'Chanyeol?'

'Of course he wants to go – D.O. as well, but they just came back. Kris is already at full power, so I guess three people are enough – they'll act as lookouts and warn us soon as Evil gets anywhere close to home.' His eyes gleamed in anticipation. 'In the meantime, we'll prepare and we'll be ready for whatever he has to throw at us.'

'You sound scary when you talk like that.' Xiumin commented, sipping his coffee casually. 'And shouldn't you be a bit upset that we're standing on the edge of war?'

Suho grinned, his competitive streak completely primed. 'Oh but I'm not upset at all. In fact, it's about time something came at us.'

'Yup!' Tao nodded, enthusiastically digging his spoon in the ice-cream. 'I still don’t feel like Earth's home – we just came and claimed a piece of land – but what's territory without a fight?'

'Yeah, it's boring.' Sehun agreed, slurping on the last of his bubble tea. 'All peaceful and stuff.'

'But I want world peace.' Lay said, looking worried.

'Shut up.' Luhan replied, leaning his chair back. 'Admit it, all of us are excited. Even you.' he pointed at Xiumin who shrugged noncommittally.

'We'll get to use our powers…' Xiumin closed his eyes in pleasure at Luhan's soft statement.

The problem with being the Legends, holding the elemental powers like caged beasts inside them, was the urge to use it. Being normal meant they couldn’t really use their powers – but if they faced the Evil, they'd use it no holds barred.

'All the power with nothing held back…' They all sighed collectively at the prospect.

Then Suho got up. 'Enough chit chat. You guys, go back to school. Xiumin, thanks for the meal.'

Everyone got up, except Lay. He stared intensely at the molten ice-cream in his cup before sighing and bending over to eat it. Luhan knocked his chair with his foot.

'Hey, don't you wanna go back? We'll be late…'

'In a minute…' Lay muttered quietly. Luhan sighed and leaned against the table.

…………………….

Angel looked up at the clock and sat up in shock. She'd been here for an hour already – skipping class, even if she was working on her project. She looked at the table where Lay's friends were gathered. Her heart jumped to and she wished with all her might that Lay would come over himself; that way, she wouldn't have to go and talk to them.

She didn't have anything against boys – they just made her nervous. Most people did – in fact, it was harder with girls because they expected her to feel at ease but she didn’t and things got even more awkward. She glanced at the clock again.

If Lay didn't hurry, they'd be late. Again.

Just then, their group broke up. The boys started getting up, picking their backpacks and headed towards the exit. One of them, the one with the eye bags, gave her a sweet smile as he passed by. The other, tall and rather angry looking guy pushed him teasingly and caused him to bump into her table, knocking her coffee into her lap.

'Oh, I'm soo sorry!!!' The eye-bags guy apologized hurriedly, looking around helplessly. 'Ah, here, let me clean that for you…' he started using her score sheets to help clean up.

'No, its okay…' she tried to push his hand away, despairing as the coffee soaked the sheets.

'Tao, what are you doing?' The owner of this voice sounded aghast. She didn’t see who it was, though, too depressed at seeing her music destroyed by coffee.

'Sehun pushed me!'

'No I didn't!' They started bickering with each other.

'Kai, please take them outside.'

The bickering faded and a shadow fell across her table. 'I'm really sorry about that. Are you okay?'

'Mm…'

'Here, let me help you.' The guy offered her a handkerchief and started collecting her sheets, carefully putting them away from the spilled coffee.

'If you'll hand that over,' He pointed at the crumpled sheet in her lap. 'I'll clean it up as well.'

She passed the dripping sheet delicately. 'Be careful.'

'Tch. That idiot!' He straightened the paper gently, wiping it with a paper towel. 'Although, I'm pretty sure he was trying to be helpful.'

Angel smiled despite herself. He had been trying to be helpful. 'It's okay. And you don't need to do… tha…t…'

Her voice trailed off as she looked up. Her heart stopped for a couple of beats before it started again double time. The man in front of her looked like he'd just stepped out of a magazine cover. He smiled as he continued wiping the paper.

'I won't feel at ease until I do. And…' he gave it one last wipe. 'Here we go. All done.' He glanced up. Their eyes met and held for the longest time, the moment stretching into infinity. 'Are you okay?'

His question broke the magical hold he held her in, and she blushed. 'Yes, thank you. Um… if you'll excuse me…'

She nearly ran to the restroom.

……………………

Suho watched the girl run away, wondering why the hell his heart was beating like he'd run a marathon.

So, their eyes met. That was supposed to intimate… Big deal.

Still… he placed a hand over his heart. It was beating too fast.

Someone snorted behind him and he turned. 'So, you enjoy harassing innocent girls now?' Luhan mocked.

'Harass?' He asked, disoriented before his words registered. 'I wasn't harassing her! I was cleaning up the mess Tao created!'

'Sure you were.' Luhan teased again. Lay stood silent, a strange smile on his face. 'Why are you smiling like that?'

'Hm…' Lay looked confused. 'Like what?'

'Never mind.' Suho muttered, wondering where to wipe his sticky hands now that he'd given his handkerchief to the girl. 'I'm going to wash my hands.'

Muttering under his breath, he walked away. Luhan bumped his shoulder into Lay's. 'So, did it turn out the way you were hoping?'

'I wasn't hoping for her to run away when we're getting late.' Lay replied sassily, picking up the score sheets and arranging them. 'And if you're in such a hurry, you go ahead.'

'Nah, I think I'll wait.'

Angel came out, glancing around cautiously. Her skirt was wet in the front and she looked really awkward. Lay handed over his things to Luhan and went to her.

'I don't think I can go out like this…' Angel muttered, distressed.

'I'm really sorry… if I hadn't asked you to come with me…' Lay sounded equally distressed.

'No, that’s alright. But… what to do now?'

'May I suggest something?' Luhan, tired of hearing their loud whispers, interrupted. 'Why don’t you ask Xiumin if he has anything she can use? While her skirt dries?'

'Xiumin?'

'He lives upstairs. Maybe he has something he can lend her.'

'Oh, good idea. Angel, why don't you wait here? I'll talk to Xiumin.' Lay dashed off, leaving her with Luhan. She glanced at him nervously. He bared his teeth in a frightening smile. 'Don't worry, I don't bite.'

She gulped and looked down helplessly.

Suho came out of the restroom, looking calm and composed. Angel, forgetting her nervousness, hid herself behind Luhan. He looked at her in surprise, then shrugged. If she wanted to hide, who was he to stop her?

Lay returned with Xiumin at the same time. 'See, Angel's in trouble – her skirt is completely destroyed.'

'Lay, please learn to talk coherently.' He looked at Luhan. 'Who is angel?'

'Um…t..that's me.' Angel spoke quietly.

'Oh.' Xiumin stared at her. 'Um, I have a couple of spare sweatpants. Will those do?'

She nodded.

'Come with me, then.' Angel looked at Lay nervously. 'Go ahead, we'll wait here.'

She followed him, glancing over her shoulder every other step. Lay kept smiling encouragingly and waving until she disappeared upstairs.

Suho, who'd been watching them from a distance, came forward. 'She's your friend?'

'Who is?' Lay looked lost.

'She is his study partner, Angel.' Luhan answered instead. 'She writes music.'

Suho nodded, looking noncommittal; but Luhan saw him glance at the stairs while they waited. He left only after she came back, looking fine if a bit ridiculous in Xiumin's sweatpants – which seemed gigantic on her small body.  

Angel's eyes swept the room, looking for Suho before she came towards them. 'I look hideous.'

'Yes…oof!' Lay elbowed Luhan's stomach.

'You look fine. Shall we go?'

'Okay.'

……………………

 

Bonus Story: EXO Journal: A Voyage through the Galaxy

Scene 1: In which Sehun gets the journal

Suho: Sehun, come over here.

Sehun grumbles and gets up from the his place on the floor, dragging his feet as he goes over to Suho. He's sure this has to do with his antics today - Suho's going to reprimand him for pushing Tao and spilling the coffee... or maybe because he'd convinced Tao to help him bunk. Either ways, he's in no mood to listen. 

Sehun: What?

Suho (pursing his lips at his irate tone); I've been told that you are very inexpressive during class.

Sehun fluently curses his English teacher inside his head - she's the only one who has any problem with his no-participation-in-class-unless-its-to-mess-up-the-lecture policy. And she's always harping about how much his written expression . He puts on his most expressive face - which, he admits, isn't too different from his normal poker face but whatever, he's trying to be cute.

Sehun (doing his best puppy dog impression): I'm very expressive!

Suho (unaffected by his poor ageyo): I can see that. Well, your teacher suggested that it might be a good idea to have you write what you feel in a journal. So...

Sehun (interrupting him): Wait, wait, wait! My teacher suggested? What is this, elementary school?

Suho: Apparently, yes. She specifically asked to meet me. What have you been doing in class? 

Sehun (getting defensive): Nothing, I swear!

Suho: Exactly! You do nothing! You're expected to participate in class discussions and offer opinions on what the professor says. 

Suho (sighing): That's besides the point, anyway. I just think its a good idea if you learn to be a bit more expressive about your feelings... you have no friends besides Kai in class and you're always retreating into yourself.

Sehun is running out of all the curse words he can honor his teacher with - what did she have against his inexpression? What the hell, wasn't this college? Why was she acting like he was an elementary kid with social anxiety? He did what he wanted, words really weren't that necessary - why would he want to alert anyone when he was up to mischeif? 

Suho (unaware of his internal struggle, puts out his hand holding a thick leather bound journal): I want you to keep this with yourself at all times - yes, even in class - and write whatever you feel. I'll check it after a week and we'll discuss it with your college counsellor, alright?

Sehun (sputters in outrage): Wh...?

Suho (ignoring him): And don't slide it under your bed - I'll check.

Sehun, who's been thinking of doing exactly that, purses his lips as he takes hold of the ominous looking thing. It is lighter than it looks and he opens it to find a dry, boring looking pages. 

Sehun (complaining immediately about what he's gotten): You could've bought something more colorful!

Suho doesn't grace that with a reply, going off to the kitchen to get some snack while his mind is busy thinking about the girl he'd helped this morning - she'd been really pretty and for some reason, he was having this urge to see her again. Maybe he could go over on the pretext of meeting Lay and see her, she was his study partner right?

Sehun (staring at the journal in his hands): Ya, you're ugly!

He stands there, wondering if he can get away with putting it in the dustbin. But in the end, its a gift and even he knows its polite to just shut up and accept it. Deciding it could've been worse - they could've insisted he go and talk his feelings out with the counsellor instead of writing them down - he opens the door to his room and casually throws it inside. It lands on Tao's head, who's been peacefully working out.  

Tao: OUCH! What the hell?

Ignoring him, Sehun returns to his place on the floor and starts watching whatever's playing.   

........................

P.S. Yes Lay is an oracle - don't ask why