Chapter 18

You Who Came From The Stars

Two weeks later…

'Silence please! I have a couple of announcements to make!'

Their teacher's statement made the class groan. Announcements usually entailed a ridiculous number of tests crammed into a short time and huge assignments. This one was no different but there were good news as well.

'The results of the tryouts will be posted on the notice board after next week. Those of you who applied, keep your documents ready. If you don't provide the requisite documents within ten days, your name will be taken off and the next candidate in line will be selected. Okay?'

Mei gave thumbs up to Kai and Sehun, then turned her head as the teacher continued.

'After your exams – yes, they will be next week as well and no, I cannot postpone them further – the university is arranging a fun fair. If you're interested in setting up a stall, please get in touch with the Head of Organization… alright, now take out your books. We'll begin from…'

Sehun gave up any pretense of interest, burying his head in the book and sleeping. Surprisingly, Kai wasn't paying attention either, his hand ruffling through his hair again and again; he seemed restless and ready to get out of class. Mei guessed it was because he was really excited – after all, if anyone was sure to be selected, it was Kai. But then again, maybe not. He'd been restless for some time now, often forgoing hanging out with Sehun and her. When the bell rang, he rushed out of class like a track star racing for the end.

Maybe it's his stomach, not excitement, she thought sympathetically. She got up more calmly, stretching.

'Hey!' Sehun tugged on her ponytail, completely awake now that the class was over. 'Lend me those glasses this week', he said, referring to her notorious study frames, 'I wanna clear this in one go.'

Sehun was also one of those sure to be selected but he needed at least a B+ in all his subjects. If he failed the exams, naturally, his result would be affected. Sehun wasn't serious about his studies but he was very serious about getting into the performance school. 'Sure, I'll bring them tomorrow.'

'Thanks.'

……………………….

Kai's head felt like his head would burst if he didn't get out soon. Mei's scent was overpowering his senses and that was not good. At all.

Since Luhan's inner turmoil had settled down, Kai had been sure spending time with Mei wouldn't be a problem. After all, his mood swings and attraction to Mei were obviously a side effect of Luhan's first fever, right?

Wrong.

Maybe it was because Luhan's mating instincts had leaked into him via their link but he could feel his own beast awakening – ahead of time. Technically, he was still a cub and despite his connection to Luhan, one of the oldest Legends, he was still on the same level as Sehun and Tao.

So, he shouldn't have to go crazy trying to control his beast, much less resist the mating instincts that kept demanding he stake his claim and challenge Luhan for his mate. But that was exactly what was happening. Could two Legends have the same mate? This question was raising its head more and more often.

So far, he had managed to suppress himself enough that Luhan wasn't aware of his emotions – he'd have attacked him if he had the slightest gist – but Kai could feel his control slipping every moment he spent in Mei's presence.

He didn't hear a single word the teacher said, trying to breathe shallowly so he wouldn’t inhale her scent any more than strictly necessary. His body was getting restless and his nerves stretched ever so taut. He kept running his hand through his hair, just to have something to do.

He didn't dare use his power to teleport out of here – who knew where he'd end up? Luhan had no control over his powers when his beast was riled up – and they all knew not to use their power unless they were sure they could control it. So, he sat through the entire class, tortured by the whiffs of her scent that kept coming his way.

As soon as the bell rang, he ran outside – and bumped straight into Luhan, who was walking down the corridor so he could meet up with Sehun and Mei. Kai's precarious hold on himself slipped.

. Kai's vision darkened to a red tunnel for a moment before he forced it clear. Luhan's eyes narrowed, sensing his restlessness because of that minor slip.  

'Are you okay?' He asked, concerned as he took in Kai's hooded eyes and obviously restless demeanor.

'Fine.' Kai replied sullenly, trying to brush past him.

'You're not, obviously. Let's get you out of here.' He placed his hand on Kai's shoulder but Kai jerked it off, fairly growling at him.

'I said I'm fine!' He snapped, loud enough that everyone in the corridor turned to look at him. 'I can get myself out of here.'

Not bothering to look back, he stalked out – anything to get away from Luhan before he was pushed past the breaking point.  

………………………

Luhan wanted snap his teeth at Kai at his rude behavior but he resisted because Kai was obviously distressed.

Luhan hadn't really noticed until now that Kai had been holding himself away from their link, not letting his emotions through. Maybe because he'd been too occupied with Mei.

But right now, when Kai had bumped into him, his control had slipped for a second. Enough for Luhan to get a peek. Luhan was surprised and worried. Kai was too young to have that level of power and his beast was far too restless.

The Legends went through a sort of puberty – transforming from cubs to fully grown wolves, to put it simply. They came into their powers, then – with the potential to maximize them through mating. But Kai was too young for that – Tao was technically older and if any of the younger cubs was going to mature, shouldn’t it be him?

And to go through that alone… Kai was reserved by nature, sharing willingly only with D.O… if anyone knew, it would be him. Maybe I should talk to him.

He tried to sense where Kai was or what he was feeling but realized – with some shock – that Kai had strictly retreated into himself. He must've been doing this for some time now, Luhan realized, to be able to do it again so quickly – breaking the link, or even restraining it like Kai was doing, was one of the hardest things to do – to simply shut him out in a matter of seconds…

What's going on with him? Luhan worried his lower lip with his teeth but was immediately distracted when Mei's fragrance hit him. A smile appeared on his lips when he turned, putting his worry for Kai in the back of his mind.

She gets prettier every time I see her, Luhan sighed mentally, feeling like a sap. Sehun was right, girls did mess up rational minds.

They'd been dancing around each other for two weeks now – two weeks of subtle hints, suggestions and playing from both sides – and he wasn't sure how much longer he'd be able to hold out.

He wanted to hold her and kiss her and mark her as exclusively his and to heck with all these games. But he was keeping his beast in check, wanting to move at her pace. It was becoming difficult, though. The first fever had passed, yes, but that didn't make him immune to her scent or the possessive instincts she aroused.

Warning himself again, he forced himself not to react when he saw her hand was on Sehun's shoulder as they talked, coming out of class. Sehun, smart as he was, quickly removed it but Luhan cornered him later, nonetheless.

'Luhan…' Sehun whined. The recess had ended and the next class had started. So they were alone, standing outside department building, under a ledge. Luhan had just pushed him against the wall, his arms bracketing him.

'Keep your distance.' He leaned in, staring at Sehun who knew exactly what he was talking about and looked irritated.

'Tell that to her, she was the one who was touching me!'

Luhan shook his head.

'I can't directly say it to her, alright – I'll come across as a possessive jerk…'

'You are.' Sehun muttered under his breath. Luhan ignored him.

'Just… mind yourself.' He backed off.

Sehun dusted off his shoulders, huffed and left him alone, going back to class. Luhan stared up at the sky, sighing. Then he went back to class as well.

………………………

Bonus Story: EXO Journal: A Voyage through the Galaxy

Scene 9: In which Kai questions himself

The journal has been gathering dust for a few days now since Tao has put it back in his room instead of carrying it around in his bag and he hasn't written a word in it for a solid week now. 

Kai enters Sehun's room to look for something when his eye is snagged by the thick, leather bound jounral resting on Tao's study table. There is something captivating about it, something that urges him to pick it up and flip through the pages. He reads the first entry, smiles at Sehun's typical statement, then hurries along the more personal entries by Tao because he doesn't want to pry. The final page catches his eye again. Only two words are written. 

Kai (reading aloud): Dear Diary...

He thinks it sounds rather...  as if he is going to share a secret. Casually, he wonders what he would write if he had to. With everything that is going on right now, with everything he's facing alone, writing in a journal sounds like a good idea - it is a safe place to vent without fear of reprisal. Seating himself in Tao's seat, he stares at the page in front of him, feeling all his emotions rise up. 

He's too sensitive these days, pushed far beyond the point of sanity and its overwhelming. Stressful. He has no one, literally no one, to help him right now. Moreover, he's scared. What if... what he suspects is true? How would he face his Shadow? How would Luhan react? More than that, how would the other Legends react? 

It's tiresome, thinking about it over and over. That's all he's been doing these days, worrying his head off while trying to hold his ever increasing power in and its slowly driving him past the edge. For some reason, tears blur his eyes - dammit, he's only a cub after all even if he acts mature. Sniffing a little, he picks up the pen resting on the table. Thinking for a moment, chewing his bottom lip, he finally comes to a decision and leans forwards, writing out a single sentence. 

What is wrong with me???

He stares at the words, pondering. Yet, he can't think of any other words to add - this single sentence captures everything that's eating him alive. Throwing the pen down, he leans back and holds in his breath as the sudden surge in his power threatens to leak from his link to his Shadow. He'd rather no body know about this. At least until he's ready. 

The door clacks open and Sehun enters, jumping on his bed without looking around. He thinks its Tao who's sitting there, so he throws a pillow at Kai's head. Kai reacts by baring his teeth, momentarily scaring the cub. 

Sehun: Kai! Damn you scared me! (sitting up) What're you doing?

Kai (taking a deep breathe to calm himself down): I was looking for my pens that you borrowed and forgot to return.

Sehun (thinking): Oh those...? I think they are... 

Hanging his head down the side of the bed, he stretches his arms out to check underneath it and grabs something. 

Sehun (straightening triumphantly): Aha! Here you go!

He throws an extremely dusty pouch at Kai, who catches it before making a disgusted face. 

Kai: What is this?

Sehun: I put all the pens and pencils in this - your things should be here as well. (lays on his back) Man, was it tiring today or what?

Kai doesn't answer as he gets up to leave. His eyes linger on the sentence he's written down before he shuts he journal. But the words continue to raom inside his head. 

'Dear Diary, what is wrong with me???'