Chapter 28

You Who Came From The Stars

Angel had spent a restless weekend, unable to sleep and unable to study because her mind kept going back to the way Suho had nearly kissed her. Even now, thinking about it made her blush and want to curl up into a ball of fluff.

And now, she wasn't sure how she'd be able meet his eyes. Not that she normally did – it was too much for her heart – but because she didn’t want him to read the desire in her eyes.

It made her ashamed that she was having such thoughts but she couldn’t help it. He made her fantasize about things like his lips tracing over hers and experiencing all the feelings she'd only ever read about in books.

Her cheeks heated up as her imagination ran awry once more. The only good thing coming out of this was that she'd aced the instrumental.

She normally at instruments because she got too self-conscious, playing in front of a whole panel of judges. This time, she'd been too focused on keeping her thoughts in check to pay attention to them – forgetting to be nervous and played flawlessly, the hours of practice making her fingers move on their own.

'That was amazing!' Lay gushed when she came back. 'I'm so happy for you!'

'Hmm?' Angel replied, distracted and dreamy.

'Oh, it's my turn next. I'm so nervous…' Lay rubbed his hands. She blinked, coming out of her daze and patted his back. 'Don't worry, you won't have any trouble. Just think happy thoughts.'

'Happy thoughts.' Lay nodded, taking a deep breath. 'Rainbows and unicorns!'

'Good.'

'What if I forget the notes?'

'You remember the tune, don’t you? Play it like you remember it.'

'Okay.' Lay nodded. She didn't know why he was worried, though. If she could pass it, Lay would ace it. 'Good luck!' She called as he went inside.

Then, she went right back to dreaming – imagining a scenario where no car horn blared to interrupt them and Suho closed the distance completely…

Her head felt like it was on fire and she fanned herself, reprimanding herself for thinking such thoughts. You're such a ert, she scolded herself. He probably hadn't meant to kiss her anyway – he was just tucking her hair back and maybe he'd seen something on her face… yeah, that was more likely.

Still, she made sure to visit the restroom before the bell rang, checking herself in the mirror and applying a little bit of lip gloss – the only makeup accessory she was sure she wouldn't mess up. I'll greet him as usual and he’ll hold my hand and we'll walk like usual, she told herself, and everything will be like normal.

Except that it wasn't.

Soon as her eyes landed on him, she felt her face heating up and she looked down, suddenly overcome. Instead of rushing to his side, she had to force herself not to dash away, simply because it was too embarrassing. She kept feeling her thoughts would show up on her face and didn't dare glance at him. When he asked her how her test went, she only nodded, too nervous to open .

Instead she hugged her bag tighter and shook her head when he asked to carry it. Right now, holding on to the bag seemed safer. She wasn't sure she could take it if he touched her.

They started walking and he kept trying to talk to her, gently coaxing but she was too aware of how close they were walking, side by side, to pay attention. All of her attention was solely directed at the slight brush of her arm against his and she gulped, her face heating up.

She didn't notice that he'd stopped trying to talk to her but then, he stopped right in front of her. She blinked and looked up. Blushed to the roots of her hair and glanced hurriedly away. Her eyes had gone straight to his lips and well…

'Is everything okay?' He asked her, leaning his head down – as he normally did when he talked to her. It was too close for her suddenly racing heart, so she discreetly took a step back.

Nodding frantically, she looked around. And her eyes landed on Xiumin; they'd stopped right outside his shop. He smiled at her. 'Hey Angel.'

'Hi.' She nodded, swallowing. Xiumin glanced at Suho. 'Wanna come inside?'

'No thanks.' Suho's reply was curt but she didn't notice. He grabbed her hand, even though it was still holding her bag, and started walking quickly. 'She'll be late, so…'

'Bye.' Xiumin called after her. 'You should come around more often.'

She didn't hear the snarl that came out of Suho's mouth because she was trying not to hyperventilate. His hand, his warm, large hand was wrapped around her smaller ones, completely engulfing them and for whatever reason, it was making her really hot and bothered.

She tugged it away after a while, unable to hold his hand and breathe at the same time, not when he was doing so many things to her. She wrapped her hands securely around her bag once again and walked with her head down until they reached the bus stop.

He helped her board the bus, then waved goodbye. She didn't see it because she was trying to catch her breathe. Even the little contact, his hand on the small of her back to guide her inside, was too much. The bus drove away.

……………………..

Suho kicked the bench with all his strength, cursing a blue streak. He didn't notice the strange looks he was attracting, too pissed off.

'That backstabbing sonofa!' He hit the bench again and stalked off.

He'd believed him when he'd said he had no interest in Angel. Had partially thought Luhan was pulling his leg when he'd given him that warning – maybe as a joke to get his revenge; Luhan could be like that. But now…

He'd noticed something wasn't right when she hadn't dashed to his side but walked reluctantly up to him. Instead of giving him the bag, she'd held on to it, so she wouldn't have to hold his hand. She hadn't said even a single word – she talked to him now, dammit; hurriedly and a bit incoherently but she talked to him nevertheless.

He'd thought that perhaps, she'd been affected by their almost-kiss as well and was nervous because of that. Still, he'd wanted to be sure, so he'd stopped to ask her. Only, Xiumin had come out right that moment, said hi and wouldn't you know? She'd replied to him immediately.

What was he doing outside anyway? He stayed inside his shop all the time, was it a mere coincidence? Suho didn't think so. He'd invited her inside (his mind refused to acknowledge that his invitation extended to both of them) and then told her to come more often.  

Oh just wait till I get my hands around your treacherous throat… He was snarling and growling and muttering under his breath and the passer-bys were giving him a wide berth.

He stalked right back to Xiumin's, crashing the door open. There was a deafening silence inside as everyone stopped to look at him. His eyes found Xiumin.

'Ya! Come over here!' He knew his tone was rude and bordering on commanding – something he never used with Xiumin, the oldest among them. Xiumin's eyes narrowed at him but he whispered something to Lily and made his way towards him, smiling politely at the patrons.

'Can we do this later?' Xiumin whispered as he got closer. 'I'm really busy…'

'You're going to answer, right now.' Suho told him, bristling. 'You told me you had no interest in her!'

His whisper was loud enough to be heard throughout the silent room. Several curious stares were cast their way. Xiumin looked at his face, gauging his temper, then nodded towards a corner. 'Okay, we'll talk. But not in the doorway. Come on.'

……………………

A/N

Luhan's such a troublemaker hehehe