Chapter 74

You Who Came From The Stars

Kai had been sure Luhan couldn't get any stupider than avoiding Mei. Turned out he was wrong. Luhan had proved just how stupid he could be by going and flat out breaking up with her. Which was annoying him to hell and back and making him want to go and deck him in the kisser.

From which he was being zealously restrained by Sehun.

'Just one punch.' Kai insisted, still trying to get up.

'No, not even one.' Sehun dragged him back down. Then, when Kai got back up, 'Tao, a little help here!'

Tao, who'd been lifting weights in his corner of the room where they were currently sitting, put the weights down and cracked his neck, first to one side then the other. 'What?' He asked, wiping the sweat from his forehead and then, cracking his knuckles.

Sehun and Kai stared at him in awe – he cut a surprisingly intimidating figure with his muscles pumped up like that and they were strongly reminded that he was a warrior first and foremost, regardless of his silly fears or somewhat feminine personality and could actually whoop their asses if he put his mind to it – then swallowed and Kai sat back down. 

'Nothing… never mind.' Sehun told him, waving him back. 'Go work out some more.'

Tao used the towel to wipe his sweat, discarded it and started working on his pectorals, emitting an occasional grunt of strain. They stared at his flexing muscles in unblinking fascination, then Sehun shook his head. 'Ya, why are we looking at him?'

'I don't know.' Kai replied, shaking his own. 'Let's get out, I think he's releasing pheromones.'

'ert!' Sehun threw Tao's panda plushie onto his face and made him lose his breath. He coughed, then glared at them. 'Why?'

'Stop letting out ferma-whatevers!' Sehun ordered him.

'Pher… what?' Tao looked bewildered. 'What are you talking about?'

Laughing at the sheer foolishness of their argument, Kai stepped out, Sehun in tow. 'I mean it – he's pissed enough and if he sees you…'

'I won't go.' Kai told him. 'But I'm pissed too.'

'I feel you, man!' Sehun groaned. 'Seriously, I thought he'd figure it out, you know, 'cause you're not there and she's all… you know…'

'Yeah.' Kai rubbed his face. 'Idiot.'

Sehun sniffed. 'After I got scratched by that wildcat, trying to keep her off him, he attacked me!'

Kai took in his sulky pout, the healed, barely there scratches on his arms from the wildcat – Kai assumed he meant Tiffany because they'd concocted the plan together – and bumped his shoulder. 'Ah well, it's hard for him, you know.'

'It's hard for you too.' Sehun mumbled, not meeting his eyes. Kai was touched by his concern – to think it was the same guy who'd refused to talk straight with him because of his interest in Mei.

'Yeah it is…' he glanced at Sehun. 'Which is why I want to punch him.'

Sehun smiled. 'You don't or you'd have vanished.'

Kai shook his head. 'Only because I care about Mei.' Which brought him the point that had been bothering him since he'd heard about the ordeal. 'Where is she?'

Sehun looked regretful. 'I have no idea.' Kai glared at him and he put up his hand in defense. 'Hey, I was too busy getting my handed to me by Luhan!'

'Call her!' Kai ordered.

'She's not answering!' Sehun countered.

'Ask Tiffany.' Kai ordered him again.

'No way, you ask her yourself!'

'Fine.' Kai snapped, then grabbed Sehun's phone. Found the contact saved as Crazy Wasp. Dialed.

'Wasn't today enough?' Tiffany sounded irate and nasal, like she'd been crying. 'Let me cry in peace!'

'I'm sorry,' Kai apologized. 'I'll call later.' He was going to hang up but she stopped him. 'Kai?'

'Yes.'

'Sorry, I've had a bad day.' She tried to sound cheerful and failed miserably. 'How can I help you?'

'Um… is Mei around?'

'No…' she sounded like she'd start sniffing again. 'And she's not even answering her phone. I tried looking for her in the park but she's not there and she was alone and…oh god, what if something bad happened to her??? It's all my fault!' She started crying.

'Tiffany! Tiffany, listen to me!' Kai waited until she stopped sniffling. 'Calm down, I'm sure she's fine. I'll go look for her, okay? Please stop crying!'

'O...' she hiccupped. 'Okay.'

'Can you tell me about all the places she goes to?'

'She's not at any of them.' Tiffany told him, sounding close to tears again. 'I looked everywhere.'

'Alright. Okay, calm down now and don't cry.' Please, he mentally added. Crying females, he'd recently found, were more stressful than finding out Evil was within the country. 'I'll find her and when I do, I'll bring her home.'

'You're so nice…' she sniffed into his ear. Why is she crying now? He thought wildly. My being nice is a good thing, right?

'Oy, stop using up my balance! Hang up already!' Sehun bugged him and he took the chance to say goodbye.

'What'd she say?' Sehun asked. Then, 'Where are you going?'

'I'm going to look for Mei.' Kai put on his shoes. 'Keep your phone handy and call Tiffany soon as I find her. I'll text you.'

'Whatever.' Sehun grumbled. 'Just tell Suho…'

'You do that as well!' Not waiting for his reply, Kai teleported.

………………………….