Chapter 10

You Who Came From The Stars

Angel wasn't entirely sure how she'd ended up here.

She had been debating whether or not she should visit Lay because she was worried after she'd heard from the teacher that Lay had an accident and wouldn't be coming the next week.

Lay was always so nice to her, taking care and putting up with her shyness when everyone else got annoyed with it. So, she wanted to do something nice for him as well. And a visit sounded like the right thing to do.

Only, she had no idea where he lived.

Of Lay's friends, she only knew Luhan, who often met with Lay in school and Xiumin – whose sweatpants she'd washed and ironed to return. Perhaps they knew where he stayed.

It had taken her more than an hour to gather the courage and seek Xiumin on her own – another twenty minutes of walking past his shop numerous times until he'd come out and asked her in. He'd seen right through her worry and offered to take her to meet Lay when he went.

She didn't quite trust him – her mom had warned her repeatedly about the dangers of going off alone with strange men – but for once, her worry for a friend was greater than her fear. So, she'd agreed. It helped that Luhan had stopped by; looking sad and depressed, he'd given her the address and told her that Lay was awake, so she could go and meet him if she wanted.

So, after Xiumin closed his shop, they walked to Lay's house. Not good with directions, Angel knew she wouldn’t be able to find her way back on her own. Before she knew it, Xiumin had been ringing the doorbell and the door had opened to reveal the 'overgrown puppies' who were constantly chattering in the background as she tried to breathe normally through her rising panic.

It's alright, she repeated over and over, you're doing this for Lay… Seeing the eye-bags guy with the sweet smile helped because his was another familiar face. So was the angry looking guy. They're all Lay's friends, so it's alright…

Xiumin grabbed had her hand and pushed her inside. She stood, completely frozen in place, when Xiumin placed his hand on her shoulder, walking her to the living room and told her to relax. Again. The poor guy had been saying the same thing all the way here, trying his best to put her at ease.

She wanted to say thank you but words died in as yet another familiar voice rang through the living room. And the magazine-guy slash man-of-her-recent-dreams slash song-inspiration stepped out of one of the connecting rooms.

Blushing to the roots of her hair, she instinctively ducked her head and looked for the closest place to hide herself. Xiumin lifted his hand off her shoulder and she took the opportunity to slip behind him. She peeked at him from over Xiumin's shoulder.

He looks really angry… why? She wondered, somehow feeling his wrath was directed at Xiumin. Is it because Xiumin brought me here? Maybe I shouldn't have come…

One of the other boys stepped in front, blocking her view of him and muttered something quietly. Mag-guy glared at him, looking like he really wanted to fight, but then his heel and went back into the room he'd come out of.

There was a collective sigh of relief when the door slammed shut. Xiumin turned to smile at her.

'Lay is inside.' He pointed to another room, the door ajar. Lay sat propped up against pillows, eating cheeseballs. His head and chest were covered in bandages and Angel forgot her nervousness as worry crashed over her.

…………………………….

'Lay!' she cried, rushing inside. He looked up, looking surprised and pleased. 'Angel! When did you come?'

'Just now… oh my God, what happened? You're so pale…'  

'It's okay, Suho's fixed me up.' Lay nodded enthusiastically, then stopped with a groan. 'Ah… oh, have some.' He pointed at the bowl in his lap.

'Be careful, don't move your head so carelessly.'

Sehun elbowed Chanyeol. 'Sure isn't nervous around Lay, is she?' he muttered, looking at Angel fuss over him. 'Maybe Suho should worry about him.'

'You tell him that.' Xiumin muttered. Being Suho's Shadow, he understood why Suho had reacted that way but Suho, if and when he calmed down, would realize that Xiumin had no feelings for Angel. She was cute, in an innocent, clumsy way but definitely not his type.

Angel stayed for over an hour, and the Legends watched with amusement, and some level of amazement, as she fussed over Lay, going so far as cooking the broth for him – and them, by association – while they both chattered – positively chattered – about the music lessons he'd missed that day.

Seeing that Lay would be kept awake effectively as long as she was around, they went about their own business. Every now and then, Chanyeol or Sehun or even D.O. would drop by, curious, but they quickly lost interest because those two talked about nothing but music.

Suho, enclosed in his room, paced around. It had taken him quite some time to cool off, and now, he had a new appreciation of what Luhan had gone through.

 Xiumin had come in a while ago and cleared up the misunderstanding; calm now, Suho understood he'd been overreacting. But he didn't like the way she was with Lay – she didn't hide herself behind anyone when she saw him, she talked easily with him and obviously trusted him.

He wanted that. Not her hiding behind whoever came handy – he hadn't missed how she'd stepped behind Luhan the first time they'd met, nor how she'd put Xiumin in front now. He'd have to make her forget her nervousness, draw her out.

Wondering how he would do that, he walked out of the room.

………………………

Angel was thinking that she'd stayed with Lay long enough – it was dark now. Lay was looking tired, his responses slower and his chattiness wearing off. She quieted down and after a while, Lay's head slumped onto his chest.

She gently shook his shoulder.

'Lay?' No response. She wondered if he should sleep, though – wasn’t it standard procedure to keep the patient awake for twelve hours or something in case of head injuries?

Maybe I should ask them to call the doctor, she thought. Just then, someone entered the room.

'How's he doing?'

'He just fell asleep… um… but shouldn't he stay awa…' her question trailed off as she turned and saw who was standing there. He nodded, a slight frown marring his perfect forehead.

'He should be kept awake… ya, Lay!' Ignoring her, he leaned over Lay, snapping his fingers. Lay didn't move. He gently shook Lay's shoulder, careful not to move him too hard – his head dropped to one side.

Sighing, he leaned his head really close to Lay's neck, almost like he was going to kiss it. Angel blushed at the intimacy of the scene.

He caught her eye and smiled, eyes crinkling mischievously. 'This is fail-proof, as far as Lay's concerned.'

He rounded his lips and gently blew on Lay's neck, who jerked awake. The shock of the movement obviously hurt him because he groaned, rubbing a hand on his neck. Blinking his eyes rapidly, he looked for the culprit. '… Suho…?'

'I'm sorry but no sleeping for you tonight.' Suho straightened. 'Besides, you shouldn't ignore your guests, that's rude.'

'Oh…' Lay slowly looked around and his eyes landed on her. 'Sorry.' He muttered.  

Angel smiled at him. 'It's alright… maybe I should leave…'

Lay blinked slowly. 'No, stay…' he suppressed a yawn. 'I'm awake, see.'

Suho shook his head and picked up the tray in Lay's lap. 'Stay that way.' He went to dispose the dishes in the sink.

Xiumin came in a while later, holding a cup in his hands. 'Coffee?' he offered.

Angel shook her head and wondered how to pose the question. Xiumin saved her the trouble. 'I'll be leaving after I finish this. Okay?'

'Oh… okay.'

Suho heard him as he entered. 'I'll drop you off.' He offered. 'I need to get some meds for Lay as well.'

And that was how Angel found herself in the passenger seat of Suho's car.

………………………….

Suho smiled his thanks to Xiumin as he opened the back door and eased in first, leaving the passenger seat for Angel. Suho opened the door for her. 'Please.'

Swallowing, she peeked at him from underneath her lashes before quickly getting inside. Suho got in the driver's seat. 'Where to?' He asked Angel politely.

She stuttered out her address, not looking at him. Mentally sighing, he started the car. Her house was quite a distance from here – she'd gone to Xiumin's shop straight from school and then walked here. He so wanted to drop off Xiumin first, so that he'd have some alone time with Angel but he wanted to put her at ease as well. Best have a chaperone – for her ease of mind.

Xiumin, apparently, had no such concerns. 'Drop me first, will you? Lily will be there soon, so I have to open the shop.' Lily was a part timer who worked at Xiumin's shop.

Suho looked at Angel. 'Your call.'

She looked confused. Xiumin leaned over the headrest, looking at Angel pleadingly. 'You don't mind?'

Well played, Suho mentally applauded.

No one could resist Xiumin when he put on that face, looking like the most innocent, pitiable puppy in the world. Angel was no exception – she peeked at his face, saw the pathetic look and that was all it took. She shook her head, unable to reject his request.

Xiumin leaned back, giving Suho a sly wink. 'Thanks a bunch. I'll give you free ice cream next time you come over.'

She didn't reply, hugging her bag tightly instead. Her glasses nearly slipped off her nose, she'd buried her head so much but she didn't move as they started driving. After a while, Suho realized that being locked inside a car with her wasn't a good idea.

Her scent, which hadn't registered in his brain until now, was suddenly overpowering and he was quite hot around the collar by the time they stopped in front of Xiumin's shop. Thanking him, Xiumin got out but knocked on his window. Suho rolled it down questioningly.

'Best keep it down,' Xiumin patted window. 'It gets stuffy. Alright, then' He straightened, 'Later.' Winking at Angel, he walked away.

……………………….

Bonus Story: EXO Journal: A Voyage through the Galaxy

Scene 5: In which Tao doesn't know when girls hit on him (Part 1)

Dear diary

Something strange happened today. There is this girl in my class who... seems to have some strange interest in me. Although, when I asked her why she kept staring at me, she pretended she had no idea what I was talking about and that is suspicious, even though Sehun says its perfectly normal. Staring at people is NOT normal, its rude. So I warned her off and now, Sehun's bugging me...

Sehun (looking over his shoulder): Ya, you seriously did that?

Tao (glaring at his Shadow for peeking in his personal diary): Did what?

Sehun (beginning to get pissed off): Warn her off? What did you say? Huh?

Tao (returning to his diary with dignity): I told her it was rude to stare and that if she had something to say, she should say it. 

Sehun (a hint of a smirk on his face): And did she?

Tao (rolling his eyes at the constant interrupton): Did she what?

Sehun (wiggling his brows): Say something?

Tao (reluctantly closing his diary and turning): Actually, she said she wanted to borrow my notes.

Tao (digging through his bag to take out his books): So I lent them to her and she returned them when were coming out of class.

Sehun (leaning close): Was there anything in there?

Tao (blankly): Anything?

Sehun: Like a note... or maybe a ph..?

Tao (biting his lip): Ah... there was a note, now that you mention it... pink and pretty.

Sehun (feeling his Shadow still has hope): And did you...? 

Tao: I returned it, of course. She'd obviously forgotten it inside... ow, what the hell?

Sehun (landing another blow): You are so ing clueless - aish, I can't even... idiot! (lands a kick on his ) Call yourself an adult?

Tao (rubbing his behind, sincerely): But I'm still a cub... wah!

Sehun goes away after toppling Tao's chair, muttering under his breath. Tao stares after his Shadow for a while, wondering if he's missed something, then shrugs and gets up, straightening the seat. He plops back into it and takes out the journal to continue where he left off. 

Dear Diary, did I do something wrong?