Chapter 21

You Who Came From The Stars

Something was seriously wrong, Mei knew.

Kai hadn't come for a few days now, Sehun and Tao were skirting around her as if she was contagious – she wasn't, she had it checked – and Luhan... 

Well, she didn’t think it was wrong that he'd suddenly become a lot more forward about his interest in her. In fact, it was absolutely right.  

They'd been playing around for over two weeks, so it was about time. His texts were more serious and romantic, and she found him staring at her possessively, often. She liked that. Now, if only he'd ask her out and make it official…

'Miss me?' Luhan's breath tickled her ear, sending a delicious chill down her spine.

'Is the sky blue?' She pouted, unintentionally joking. Wasn't her fault either; he made her nervous when he had that serious look in his eyes, even if his lips were smiling.

'Good.' He nodded, 'You should – I am your soul mate, after all.' He winked but she saw right through it – he was serious. That made butterflies flutter in her stomach even more.

'So… what's up?'

'Want to hang out later?' He asked, casually leaning his shoulder against the wall.

Yes, yes I do! She cried internally but shook her head. 'I have a test.'

He pouted, imitating her. 'You should make more time for me.' She grinned. 'Now, now, do you want a stupid partner? I have to study because I care about you and I want to be the perfect soul mate…'

He suddenly leaned in very close. 'You're already perfect.' His breath wafted over , warm and sweet.

She gulped, heart beating really fast. Was he going to kiss her? This seemed like a good time…

He backed off, grinning. 'Ah well, can't be helped. Since you have a test, you must study – or I'll end up with an idiot…' He winked, strutting away.

Did he just use my own trick against me? She wondered, heart still beating fast. The guy was dangerous – really dangerous – when he had his y-pants on.

Smiling, she went to her class.

…………………….

Kris couldn’t help them either.

'I haven't ever come across any such account.' He assured Suho, his gaze flickering from Luhan – who was sitting at one end of the room – to Kai, who was sitting at the other, both of them glaring at each other.

'The only reason I can come up with is what Xiumin already suggested – he's maturing early because of Luhan's first fever… there weren't any Shadows before us, so they obviously didn't face this problem. I guess whatever changes – physiological and otherwise – occurred due to that triggered an early onset in Kai…'

'What about the mate?' Xiumin asked, pretending not to see Kris's slight grimace of pain.

'It's possible, I guess, to have the same mate…' Seeing their eyes expand, Kris clarified. 'I'm saying it because of them.' He nodded at Kai and Luhan. 'I don’t know because Chanyeol wasn't around when I met her.' Another barely there grimace, before he continued matter-of-factly. 'Or it could be simply because she's still unclaimed.'

'Excuse me, what?' Suho asked, coughing on the water he swallowed wrong.

'Well, since neither of them has claimed her, she is still – technically – fair game for all,' Kris continued, ignoring the rising tension in the room. 'It makes sense, actually. Claiming lets that all the others know that she is yours and no one else's so…' he trailed off.

Suho glared at Xiumin suspiciously, wondering if he'd been foolish to trust the man and think he had no interest in Angel. He was suddenly worried. 'But claiming her…'

He had asked Angel to be his girlfriend and they were moving at her pace – very slowly. They were still only holding hands and well… how the hell was he supposed to claim her without forcing himself on her???

'I'm not talking about that, idiot.' Kris snorted, correctly reading his expression. Suho sighed with relief.

'Claiming… you just, like, leave your scent on her… so others can stay away…'

'So…' Suho liked where this was going. 'Kissing?'

'Yeah…' he shifted in his seat, suddenly uncomfortable. 'And stuff.'

Well, isn't that great? Kai gloated, knowing his expression was conveying what he felt even without their link. He had a fair chance and he'd be damned if he didn't take it.

He looked at Luhan, sitting all the way across the room, defiantly. Luhan glared right back, his expression a mirror of his own. Kai narrowed his eyes. 

Let the hunt begin.

……………………….

A/N

Guys, is the story dragging and too slow? I'd really appreciate some feedback, so I can make proper changes... should I make the chapters longer or something? Do tell - I said before, I don't bite (unless you're my sister in which case all bets are off) so do talk. Show unnie some love :3

This chapter is delibrately short - I wasn't planning on an update, just did it. But I do mean it, you guys want longer chapters, say it :3