Chapter 51

You Who Came From The Stars

Luhan had walked into the --- park – huge, surrounded by trees on all sides and currently empty. A perfect rendezvous. He glanced at the gifts in his hands and bounced on the balls of his feet nervously before moving on.

Mei wasn't sitting in any of the benches around here so she probably was in the back. An even more isolated place. Luhan walked on the stepping stones that led inside, the cool shade of trees making him realize just how much he was sweating.

Well, he was nervous. He hadn't seen her since their fateful fight – was it really one day ago? – and hadn't heard her voice and somehow, it felt a lot longer than it had been. They'd never fought before – argued, yes, because she was very opinionated and he liked to contradict her just so they could talk more and sometimes things escalated – but never seriously fought.

He had no idea what he'd say. He kept repeating Lily's tips in his head – apologize first, tell your feelings, then explain if the situation allows but most importantly, make her listen. Well… he'd figure it out when he met her.

He saw some bushes moving, suppressed voices and then someone straightened – a girl… Mei's friend? He'd only seen Tiffany from a distance when Mei had pointed her out while he was walking her back to the dorm.

Guess Mei was around here. He quickened his steps as he felt a gust of wind blow. Sehun??? What the hell was he doing here? He glanced back and saw someone peeking from behind a tree. Really? They were all here for the show?

He turned a corner and all his curiosity vanished, dispersing as first shock, then denial and then rage took over. Completely consuming, blinding rage that made him drop everything and rush at the kissing couple.

NO!!!!

The denial was raging through his mind as he pushed Kai off her, snarling, pushing him away using both his hands and telekinesis and pushing Mei in the other direction – anything to part them and undo the act – but he knew, even in his blindness, that it was futile.

NO!!!!

It wasn't true. It couldn't be… she was his, dammit and he'd damn well take her back if that's what he had to do. It couldn't be over just like that. He wouldn't let it be over.

'She's mine!'

He screamed wildly at Kai – whom he'd pushed away to the far end of the field – unconsciously engaging himself in battle mode, the shield spreading out around him like a force field as the loose rocks gathered around him, directed towards his Shadow – his rival and now, his enemy.

Kai, looking just as wild eyed and enraged, stared at him and his anger only pissed Luhan off even more – what right did he have to be angry when he'd claimed Luhan's mate? Then, Kai's face broke into a grin, taunting and sarcastic, as he the blood off his lips.

'Not anymore.'

Luhan directed all the rocks at him, flying through the air like bullets as they pelted him. Kai dodged them, disappearing from sight and reappearing some distance away. Luhan got more crazed with every blow he sent, feeling like his heart was being torn out of his chest. Mei was his – his mate, his love, his girlfriend – dammit all.

Instead of tears, though, he directed all the pain into anger. Yes, anger was good. Hurting him was good. Tears somehow clouded his eyes, blocking his vision, lowering his shield. He shook them away angrily and barely managed to back away as Kai appeared right beside him, landing a few jabs.

Wrong move.

Luhan grabbed his hair in lightening move, pulling it back while he attacked his exposed throat, his fingers clawed, intending to tear it out – that sounded like a great idea, a delicious idea – but Kai blocked him and his knee into his stomach.

Momentarily out of breath, his hold loosened and Kai vanished. 'COWARD!!!' Luhan screamed after him.

…………………..

Kai stood away from Luhan, ignoring the tiny rocks that still pelted him.

He was pissed. And Luhan wasn't helping matters any, calling him out like that. If he had any idea just how fragile his hold on sanity was right now…

Kai had comforted Mei, even when he'd wanted to let the beast take control and claim her, mark her. But he'd resisted. Because she had chosen Luhan. And Kai was trying to be the bigger man and not let his broken heart get in the way.

So when Mei stopped sniffling into his chest, stopped clinging to him like he was her only lifeline, he'd met her eyes and asked her what they'd fought about.

Because whether she chose Luhan or not, if he had made her cry because he was a stupid jerk, Kai would beat him up. But when Mei had related the fight – wiping her eyes every now and then, hiccupping – that he'd accused her of having feelings for Kai, he understood.

A misunderstanding.

'I don’t have feelings for anyone but him!' She looked up at him with wide, tearful eyes, angry and hurt at the same time.

'I don’t think he meant it like that.' Kai told her. I was wrong, he thought, it's not a martyr complex, its masochism. I'm a masochist… why else would he defend his rival, knowing it would get them back together?

'What else did he mean?' She was pissed that he was taking Luhan's side. Well, that made two of them.

'I mean… well, he meant I have feelings for you…' he looked at her, without any real hope, to see how she'd react.

'But that's not true…' she argued, shaking her head.

'It is.' He told her sincerely, wanting a definite reaction. Yup, a masochist.

She stared at him for a moment, then shook her head again. 'He still had no right…'

Ouch.

Yeah, well, it wasn't like he hadn't known better. He bit his lip before continuing, anger building up inside him. Anger at himself for clinging on to that tiny hope – which had somehow found its way under his defenses even when he knew she had no room in heart for him.

And at Luhan because dammit all, he was hurting and Luhan was responsible for it.

'Look at it like this. If you knew a girl had feelings for Luhan, would you like it if he let her into his room and helped him out or something? You got jealous over Lily – who's with Xiumin…'

She bit her lip, looking down and shook her head. 'I'd hate it.'

'That's all there is to it.' Kai told her reassuringly, while mentally cursing Luhan.

'But he called me easy!' She complained, although it was much more toned down than before. She was obviously thinking about it clearly… thanks to foolish old me, Kai thought sarcastically.

'Did he actually say that to you?'

'No…' the words trailed off. '…but he said I'm not particular about where I place my hands…'

Kai smiled sadly at the mumbled words, knowing the fight between those two was over. He blinked quickly to push away the tears pricking his eyes. 'He's just being possessive.'

'Mmmhmm…' she played with her fingers, looking down. 

The beast inside him was growling madly, snapping at him for being so stupid, for willingly giving up on his mate. He pushed it back again – as he'd been doing all this time – and ran a hand through his hair.

Everyone assumed that claiming was the end of it. But Kai didn't think so. It all came down to whether or not he cared about her happiness enough to give up on her. If he loved her, wouldn't that be the most important thing?

The beast growled even louder and he felt the sudden shake in his heart, his eyes flashing before he forced it back again. His human side might be willing for the sacrifice – stupid human, he taunted himself – but the beast didn't know any such thing. It was trying to come out, to overpower his senses so he would throw caution – and her happiness – to the winds and just claim her.

Well, his time with her was over. He turned, leaning down a little to whisper goodbye – he couldn’t speak normally because, heck, he was choking up on tears.

She turned to say something at the same time and their lips brushed.

Fire exploded in his body at that slight touch but that's when his heart finally, completely shattered, millions of pieces scattering around.

Hope was such a sneaky, treacherous thing – who said it was good? He hadn't known he was hoping even now – that somewhere in the recesses of his mind, some hope remained that if he kissed her first, claimed her, she'd be his.

There was no surge of power in him, no sudden upheaval – except the grief boiling over – in his abilities, no sense of finally belonging to someone, of finally being embedded into Earth.

The blow to his jaw, the pressure on his body that pushed him away, finally cracked him.

Luhan was attacking him like crazy but he wasn't the real crazy around. Kai dodged him, his mind focused despite of… or maybe because of the pain in his heart, his grief lending him a numbness that allowed him to think clearly.

Where Luhan was a mess, his power out of control as he attacked, Kai was perfectly focused. And Luhan had chosen the exact wrong moment to show up.

'COWARD!' Luhan screamed at him now as he reappeared after knocking him breathless.

'Come on!' he called, deliberately provoking him. 'Do you seriously think your taunts are going to get her back?'

His eyes landed on Mei – who was staring at them in shock – sitting beside the bench she'd fallen off from. And behind her, in the trees… seriously? They weren’t bothering to hide themselves anymore, looking on with frank enjoyment. Well, in this case, having them around wasn't perhaps the worst thing. They could take Mei away… and Tiffany – he shouldn’t forget about her – who'd brought him here, while he dealt with Luhan.

Both of them needed to vent before this could settle. And he was more than ready…

Or not. He looked up in surprise at the shadow that'd suddenly appeared over his head. A tree. Way to go Luhan. It crashed on him and he barely managed to get away.

His shoulder took the burnt but he escaped mostly unscathed and grabbed Mei, teleporting her behind the bushes. Away from danger. Tiffany was already there, looking terrified as she huddled behind Sehun.

'You're okay?' He asked her, checking to see if she had any injuries. She hugged him tightly. 'I thought you were…dea...d…' She cried.

'I'm fine.' He reassured her and pushed her away. It was hard enough without her arms around him. 'Get them out of here!' He told the Legends gathered around for the show, then teleported back.

She was safe, so now he could officially go berserk.

…………………

Something huge was happening.

Angel knew it because whatever it was made Suho's heart thud like crazy. It felt like bomb exploding inside his head and because she felt what he did, she could feel the explosions inside her as well.

So she didn’t comment when he put her back in her seat and drove like crazy. She held on tight, trying hard not to scream when he took a few harsh turns and then stepped on the accelerator. They shot forward like a bullet and her heart jumped into .

But he didn't slow down and she didn't ask him to. Whatever was happening, it didn't feel too good. He was worried and she hoped everything would be alright. The rain had subsided now but the clouds were still gathered. They boiled, like Suho's emotions right now.

It took them under ten minutes to drive past her school, taking the road which led to the dormitories. The sky was filled with birds as they approached the --- park and there was a loud crashing sound that seemed to shake the ground. Suho parked the car and jumped out, not turning off the engine.

'You can drive, right?' He asked her, leaning against the window. She nodded; she could, alright – but that didn't mean she wanted to. She took the bus for a reason – it was scary to drive.

'Listen to me.' He smiled reassuringly, reading her worry. 'Just… cruise slowly to the girls' hostel. It's right over there…'

She looked ahead – the building jutted out elegantly beside the road. 'You can do it, can't you?'

He looked so worried – whatever was happening was worrying him but he was worried about her more, about her safety and that decided her. She nodded. 'Okay.'

'Just park it to the side and wait for me. I'll be back in a few minutes, okay?'

She nodded again, giving him a reassuring smile. Because the explosions were now way louder inside her and that had to be more worrisome than her parking the car. 'I'll be fine.'

'I know.' He smiled, straightening before slowly backing off. 'Go on…'

She took off her seatbelt and shifted into the driver's seat, warm because of Suho's weight. It was comforting. She tied the seatbelt again, gripped the steering wheel and lowered the handbrake, gently accelerating. The car rolled forward smoothly. Oh yeah, she could drive alright.

Suho, satisfied that she was on her way, ran into the park.

…………………

A/N

So there you have it - another update and this time from the perspective of the main protagonists...  :/ I'm sad and now you might understand why Kai is my baby :'( I think I converted myself to Kai-ism while writing this *sniffs* Not that I feel any better about Lulu :( poor baby... Saranghae, both of you.