Chapter 42

You Who Came From The Stars

Kai was wandering around the girl's dormitory, unsure what to do. He'd come to see Mei but after arriving, he had no idea how to proceed. He assumed he could call her and ask her to come out but say she refused? Then what?

Still, he'd been here for half an hour now – he needed to move. Finally, he took out his cell phone and called her. She answered immediately.

'Hello, Mei?'

'Um, sorry no.' The girl on the other end sounded apologetic. 'Tiffany.'

'Oh.' Her roommate – the one Sehun had warned them all about because of her waspish replies. She sounded pretty polite to Kai when she spoke. 'Mei's out but she left the phone behind.'

'I see. Well… okay, then. Thanks.'

'Bye.'

'Bye.'

He stared at the phone, then put it back in his pockets. He knew he should've called beforehand. That would've saved him an unnecessary trip and the effort of sneaking away from Sehun and Tao – who were probably looking for him in the restrooms of the gaming arcade, tired of waiting by now.

He started walking back slowly, not feeling like using his powers. He'd only gone a little way when someone called his name.

'Kai?' He turned around and a girl waved at him. He didn't recognize her but she rushed up to him and grabbed his hand, pumping it enthusiastically. 'Ohmygod, it is you! I'm a huge fan of yours! I couldn't see your dance live but I saw the video and it was amazing!' she gushed. Kai blinked.

'Oh, sorry…' she suddenly straightened, flipping her hair over her shoulder, smiling prettily. 'I'm Tiffany, Mei's roommate. Nice to meet you.'

'Hi.' Kai smiled, unsure. 'Nice to meet you too.'

'I didn't realize it was Kai Kai when I saw your caller id. But then, I hung up and I was just swiping through her gallery and I saw the video. So I remembered!'

'Ahan...'

'And so I was going to walk to the park, give Mei her phone – it's getting awkward with all the calls she's getting – and then I saw you and I knew!'  She batted her lashes, then looked around curiously. 'So… um… why are you here?'

Kai was still dealing with her overwhelming enthusiasm so he didn't say anything. 'Are you waiting for your girlfriend?' Curiosity dripped from her tone.

'No… I just… um, came to visit Mei because I heard...'

'Ohh…' She nodded in understanding. Then gushed even more. 'Aw, you're such a nice friend!'

'Thanks… I guess…' he trailed off because she wasn't paying attention; instead, she grabbed his arm and started dragging him with her. 'Well, I'll just take you to her. She went out for a walk but I bet she's just hiding somewhere, crying. Perhaps she'll cheer up when she sees you. And you can… you know, tell her it will be alright or something…' she looked at him pleadingly, still dragging him along. Kai nodded, feeling like he was being swept along by a huge wave.

'That's great.' She smiled prettily again and determinedly pulled him along.

…………………...

Tiffany wasn't feeling too good because she just had another rude exchange with Mei's insolent friend, Sehun, right after stepping out of a refreshing bath. The phone had been ringing like crazy for some time now, so she'd answered.

'You again!' he growled soon as she answered. 'Give the phone to Mei.'

Some people just rubbed her the wrong way. He was one of them. 'Can't.' She replied curtly. 'And the name's not 'You Again'.' She sniffed. 'It's Tiffany.'

'Like I care.' He snorted, making her lips purse in distaste. 'Now, give the phone to Mei.' He ordered.

'Not happening.' She told him, frankly irritated. 'Like I said before, she's not your slave. If she wants to talk to you, she'll call you herself.'

'You know what I think?' He spoke accusingly. 'I think you simply don’t tell her I called. That's why she hasn't called me back.'

'Puh-lease! She probably got tired of your rudeness and decided she's better off without it!'

'As if! If she disliked rudeness that much, she would've changed rooms.'

'Excuse me???' Tiffany sputtered. Of all the preposterous things…

'Excused!' He said triumphantly and hung up.

Tiffany started throwing the phone into the wall, then realized it wasn't hers. She threw it on the bed instead, huffing. It annoyed her that he'd managed to use her own words against her. How Mei even managed to survive a few moments in his company was beyond Tiffany's comprehension – any guy who was like that over the phone to a perfect stranger would obviously be worse with those he knew. Marveling at Mei's patience, she went about dressing herself up. She'd just finished the assignment she was making and now that she had time, she wanted to get out – get some fresh air, maybe get Mei and grab a bite some place lively – that'd cheer Mei right up.

She was humming, combing her hair and flipping it this way and that to see which looked better when the phone rang again. Mei sure had a lot of fans, she thought, as she picked it up. If it was Sehun again, she'd give him a piece of her mind. No one 'excused' her and got away with it.

It wasn't Sehun. It was Luhan. She answered, the fangirl in her going nuts over actually speaking to him. She spoke a little too enthusiastically but then, remembered Mei was fighting with Luhan – and that she was siding with her friend.

So she toned it down but it was hard to keep any pretense of anger when she was actually excited to hear him in person. And because he sounded so genuinely disappointed to hear her voice.

Tiffany was sure those two had a huge misunderstanding. They were always talking to each other, calling or texting and Mei was always gushing about how good and nice Luhan was. So she thought that maybe their fight was more stuff said in the heat of anger than anything else. She totally wanted them to get back together because two nights of crying sprees from her roommate were enough for her. So, she told him where Mei was – at the --- park – and hung up with a little cheer for him.

Nothing could be solved if they didn't talk. Whistling, because she was such a good friend and because matchmaking always made her happy, she decided on letting her hair loose for the day. It was a fine day and she looked good like that.

She picked up Mei's phone and her purse and headed out. If Luhan was indeed going to pay her a visit, Mei needed a heads up and someone to stop her from running away. She could thank Tiffany later for being so nice.

The phone rang again when she was crossing the stairs. Kai. Name sounded kind of familiar…

She answered. The guy on the other end was polite and to the point. She told him Mei was out and he said goodbye. As she waited for the warden to get off the phone so she could sign her name – all the girls coming in or heading out of the hostel needed to enter their names so they couldn’t sneak anyone in (they didn't say it but that's what Tiffany thought) – she randomly swiped through Mei's gallery. She had the most fantastic video collection.

And she shook her head at her friend's obsession – around half the videos were Luhan's – and then, she came across the dance videos from the tryouts. The ones Tiffany had missed because of a measly test. There was this awesome video where the guy's eyes flashed red before he seemingly vanished from sight. What was his name again??? Key? Kia??... Kai???

She hurriedly signed her name and then, looked at the caller Id. Kai. Oh, it had to be him. Mei had told her he was her class mate.

Wow… to think she'd talked to two amazing people in such a short time.

She stepped out in the sunlight, taking in the sights after being enclosed for so long. She was an outgoing person and she hated being cooped inside for long periods – but her studies sometimes forced her to. Sighing, she looked around.

And couldn't believe her eyes when she spied the person walking away slowly. 'Kai?' she called.

He turned around; she nearly jumped with excitement, waving before rushing to his side. Wow, to actually bump into him – the day was becoming better and better. She shook his hand eagerly, telling him how much she loved his dance video.

Then, she became aware that she was acting really uncool, so she straightened and flipped her hair over her shoulder. 'I'm Tiffany, Mei's roommate. Nice to meet you.'

Kai looked even better in person, smiling rather shyly. 'Hi. Nice to meet you too.'

She wondered what he was doing around as she talked to him, hoping to put him at ease. Then, she tactfully put in the question. 'So… um… why are you here?'

He didn't reply, so she asked another, more pointed one. 'Are you waiting for your girlfriend?' if he was single… well, wasn't it a coincidence that she happened to be single too?

He told her he'd come to visit Mei.

'Aw, you're such a nice friend!' She exclaimed, truly touched by his concern. That's how real friends did it – not calling until the friend or their roommate were annoyed.

'Thanks… I guess…' he might've said something else but she wasn't paying attention.

She was thinking it would be a great idea to take him to Mei. Mei would obviously like it and since Luhan would show up in some time anyway, Tiffany and Kai would be, of course, left to keep each other company. And then, she'd take the opportunity to work her charms and maybe get him to join her for lunch. Thus, she'd kill two birds with a single stone.

So, she grabbed his hand started walking with him. 'Well, I'll just take you to her. She went out for a walk but I bet she's just hiding somewhere, crying. Perhaps she'll cheer up when she sees you. And you can… you know, tell her it will be alright or something…' she gave him a pleading look. He nodded.

'That's great.' She smiled prettily again and walked on.

………………

A/N

So, stuff's gonna happen soon, so I'll try to update quickly :) Enjoy and I'm still looking forward to know where you guys think this is going. Do share :3